Continental Tires on 2015 e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miimura

Our 2015 e-Golf LE came with Continental ProContact TX tires. My wife recently bumped a curb at about 10 mph and it made a inch-long gash in the side wall. Coincidentally, another family at my daughter's school had the same thing happen to their e-Golf the week before when they bumped a curb in a parking lot. They ended up having the car towed to Costco and they put on an Ecopia tire because that was the best match they had. Our car was disabled only 3 blocks from my in-law's house. It turns out the spare from their E-Class has the same bolt pattern, so I put it on for the short drive to their house. I left the car there and took the wheel to America's Tire. They were able to get an exact replacement ProContact TX from their distributor the same day. It was a careless and expensive mistake, but it makes me think the sidewalls of these tires are a little fragile. I've never had that happen to one of my cars in 30 years of driving.

I have, the SO backed the 2012 Touareg's LR tire into a slumpstone brick wall. 3" sidewall gash and a $320 Goodyear Eagle II 255- 55-18H 109XL installed. These new tires are not BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2's, almost all of them are LRR tires with thin, stiff, lightweight sidewalls.

BTW, a 10mph tap into a curb on a FWD VW can do all kinds of awful things, like need an alignment, or bend the hub, giving the front wheel bearings the "wah wahs" driving down the road, and eat the front hub bearings in short order. Don't ask me how I know this. It may look like a light car, but it's 3300 to 3400#, a lot of that battery, driving that whack into the curb. 10% heavier than regular petrol powered golfs.

The stock Continentals are pretty ho hum as far as low rolling resistance. If I had to, I'd buy four of the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus tires. Which are excellent in this regard.

At the moment, we are using Nokian WRG3 tires, which are true all-weather tires. So, no need to switch them, even in our snowy winters.

NeilBlanchard said:
The stock Continentals are pretty ho hum as far as low rolling resistance. If I had to, I'd buy four of the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus tires. Which are excellent in this regard.

At the moment, we are using Nokian WRG3 tires, which are true all-weather tires. So, no need to switch them, even in our snowy winters.

That may explain why I get such good range with my Ecopia EP422 Plus tires set at 45 psi. I will say that I have to be very ginger on the pedal when accelerating, it's too easy to make jack rabbit quick starts with all that torque, which wastes battery charge and easily will eat up the tires on this car with so much torque right off of a rolling start.

Now the Conti Pro Contacts 245-45-18H on my 2014 Passat SE TDI have 31500 miles on them, have never been rotated, have seen 85 to 90% polished concrete interstate miles, are at 9/32" tread depth currently. I've no idea how the Ecopia's will wear, but they do get the stop and go city driving, which can't be easy on them.

Back