EV auto accident - HOV sticker loss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently got in an auto accident on the 110 freeway. I was using my EV for the use of the free HOV lane for two years prior to the accident. Because of the accident, I had to get a new EV and new HOV sticker. The process of getting a HOV sticker is about 4 to 6 weeks. While waiting for the sticker, I had to pay for the daily HOV toll since I did not have the sticker. The EV with the sticker allows me free access to the lane. The LA 110 allows anyone on the HOV lane by buying a transponder and then you pay the daily toll. During this time I accrued about $400 of HOV toll fees. I am trying to get reimbursed from the other drivers insurance but it is getting denied

Has anyone been in a situation like this? I firmly believe the accident forced me to change my driving routine. As a result, I accrued the HOV lane toll.
So should I be reimbursed for the HOV toll by the other insurance company?

I think you are asking for too much. The HOV toll is an avoidable cost. You could also have purchased an EV where the dealer had already applied for the stickers and had them on hand already. This was all your choice.

It sucks that you were inconvenienced, but I would not expect that reimbursement.

youngbaerhee said:
All the EV dealers told me that cars do not come with HOV stickers anymore.
Not correct, some dealers do have EV stickers. But of course most of those dealers charge 'extra' for the convenience.

You went to a dealer without stickers
You ordered the stickers
You FORGOT you didn't have stickers and drove in the HOV lane.

Sorry youngbaerhee, it's your fault, not the guy who hit you. Stop driving in the HOV lane And HOPE that you can get those fines waived once you get your stickers. You can't ask the insurance to pay for a 'convenience'. (Though you should've asked them to pay for the stickers)

When I was rear ended I lost the stickers. The body shop cut them out and gave them to me. I had to send the old ones to the DMV along with a check for the replacements. It took 2-3 weeks for the replacements.

forbin404 said:
HOPE that you can get those fines waived once you get your stickers.

Good luck with that. One time I got charged on that very same Metro toll lane even though my transponder was set to the 3+ position that they tell white/green sticker cars to do. Looking at my toll history, it recognized the toll point before the one I was charged, and the one after I was charged. For some reason the one in the middle didn't read my Fastrak and charged me the solo vehicle rate by reading my license number which was already registered with Metro.

I explained that in an email to Metro. While they did waive the toll, their response was "Make sure your transponder has sufficient battery power and is properly mounted." They didn't seem to understand that the transponder WAS read at the toll points immediately before and after, so either they didn't understand that their system was the one that goofed up, or more likely didn't care.

youngbaerhee said:
During this time I accrued about $400 of HOV toll fees.

Not sure how it is in SoCal but here in the Bay Area the HOV lane thing is very loosely enforced. Personally I would have just done it, and then appealed the fine if caught.

This is really the state of California's fault - it should take no longer than 10 days to print and mail stickers.

Wish I could legally sell my white stickers, they just sit in the refrigerated glove box. Even in Los Angeles I try to avoid the freeways as much as possible. The few times I get on, I am using the slow lanes.

SocaleGolf said:
Wish I could legally sell my white stickers, they just sit in the refrigerated glove box. Even in Los Angeles I try to avoid the freeways as much as possible. The few times I get on, I am using the slow lanes.

Agreed, but for $8, meh. I try to stay off the freeways as much as possible on my e-Golf, I get much better miles per kWh if I keep it at or below 45 mph, and time the lights right. 6 to 6.3 miles per kWh isn't too bad.

Back