Driving in B mode vs. D

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
srue said:
My wife and I also exclusively drive in B. There is no physical reason B should be any less efficient than D. While it's true that coasting is more efficient than regenerative braking, the difference between B and D entirely comes down to driving preference. I can effectuate a coast by very slowly coming off the pedal on B, for example. But my preference is toward one-pedal driving, so I drive in B. I wish it would bring the car to a complete stop, or at least have that as an option in settings. On the rare occasion that we drive our ICE car, the car feels like it's out of control when I let off the pedal. It's interesting how I've adapted to B mode.
I was driving exclusively in B until I discovered the issue with the brake light. I would be annoyed as all hell if the person in front of me had their brake light come on every time they came off the accelerator. And even though I prefer driving in B, I don't want to be that guy so I just drive in D3 now.

If you want the car to stop for you just turn on the ACC if you have it. The car will stop as necessary in traffic and all you have to do is tap the accelerator for the car to start up again. I think ACC is my favorite feature of this car. I'm just worried about the next time I have a rental car without ACC, I'm going to turn the cruise control on and probably rear end something right away because I'm accustomed to the car adapting.

I want people to know when I'm slowing, so I'm glad the brake light comes on. That said, when I was testing out my first e-Golf (2016 SE, no ACC) the brake light only came on when I significantly came off the pedal. I haven't retested with our 2017 SE (still no ACC). Maybe it has changed. Even so, I still want the light. I'm not sure I understand why it would be annoying, but to each their own. I don't want to get rear-ended.

Back