How the Heat-Pump works in 2015 SEL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpdLmtNA

Hey forum members, my question is regarding how the heat pump operates in the 2015 SEL. I had a Nissan Leaf, and it used a metal coil-style heater to warm the cabin, and with it came a "Heat" button on the HVAC controls (similar to how we have an A/C button). This was convenient because it allowed me to blow cool outside air into the cabin using the Vent Fans without enabling the A/C condenser or Heater.

Does the e-Golf SEL offer similar functionality? I'd like to be able to use my fan with cool outside air rather than the A/C condenser (for battery efficiency purposes).

This poses a similar question of, when does the heat pump kick in, and does it use up a lot (if any) main battery power?

Think of the way the e-Golf climate control works as you would an ICE car's. As long as you have the temperature set below the cabin temperature (which can be difficult to tell, I know, but is a sure thing on the "LO" setting below 60 deg.) there will be no heat, and with the A/C off (button not lit,) you have fan-only.

Even more certain is changing the driving mode to Eco+, which restricts ventilation to fan-only, regardless of the temp setting.

SpdLmtNA said:
Hey forum members, my question is regarding how the heat pump operates in the 2015 SEL. I had a Nissan Leaf, and it used a metal coil-style heater to warm the cabin, and with it came a "Heat" button on the HVAC controls (similar to how we have an A/C button). This was convenient because it allowed me to blow cool outside air into the cabin using the Vent Fans without enabling the A/C condenser or Heater.

Does the e-Golf SEL offer similar functionality? I'd like to be able to use my fan with cool outside air rather than the A/C condenser (for battery efficiency purposes).

This poses a similar question of, when does the heat pump kick in, and does it use up a lot (if any) main battery power?
There's a button to turn AC on and off. If you turn it off, you're only getting ambient outside air. If the temperature on the thermostat is set well below the cabin temperature, the auto fan will try very hard to cool to that set point with air that's not cold, so the fan will run fast, but you can just turn the fan control and slow it down if you like.

Back