Mildly amusing noise coming from the front end

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cctop

After 1.5 years of driving an electric car I'm still sensitive to every squeak, hum, and whine. Without engine noise to mask the sounds, there are a lot of possibly normal noises that catch my ear.

Last night I was driving on the highway and a buzzing, crackling sound started coming from the front end. It started like a slow rattle where I thought the windshield was loose, and it progressed to a sharp buzz like a tesla coil that made me fear there was some electrical arcing under the hood.

The sound stopped as I slowed down, and I couldn't see anything wrong under the hood. Then it started up again when I got back on the highway.

This morning after looking under the hood again in daylight, I discovered it was a couple of dry leaves trapped under the windshield wiper that were vibrating and buzzing loudly in the wind.

cctop said:
After 1.5 years of driving an electric car I'm still sensitive to every squeak, hum, and whine. Without engine noise to mask the sounds, there are a lot of possibly normal noises that catch my ear.

Last night I was driving on the highway and a buzzing, crackling sound started coming from the front end. It started like a slow rattle where I thought the windshield was loose, and it progressed to a sharp buzz like a tesla coil that made me fear there was some electrical arcing under the hood.

The sound stopped as I slowed down, and I couldn't see anything wrong under the hood. Then it started up again when I got back on the highway.

This morning after looking under the hood again in daylight, I discovered it was a couple of dry leaves trapped under the windshield wiper that were vibrating and buzzing loudly in the wind.

I had the same experience soon after I got the car. In my case it was a helicopter from a Maple tree.

Back