Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: DC fast charging the 2017 e-Golf twice, back to back
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:48 pm 

JoulesThief wrote:
Paragraph closes with:

" If possible, charge the vehicle with low charging power, like with a home-charging station or with the supplementary charging cable.".

The closing statement in a paragraph is what they most want to leave on your mind, to remember. You do what ever you want with your LiPo batteries. Anyone that's played with RC toys and LiPo batteries knows the drill. Quick charging generates heat, internally, in the center mass of batteries like in an e-Golf. That heat is damaging. Hence the "If Possible recommendation. It's pretty well known in LiPo chemistry batteries that exceeding a 1C charge rate is really hard on the life of LiPo chemistry batteries.

Read a whole bunch more on Battery University. Fast charging is a convenience, but it's damaging, for the convenience, the battery's life and reducing it's capacity.

My take away from the above in bold is this.... use your home charging station if at all possible. Not public charging facilities. It's that simple... recharge at home, not in public.

I don’t disagree with any of that. None of that has anything to do with the warranty though.

(Edit: except the charging at home bit. I don't think they care what kind of AC charging so long as its compliant with the J1772 standard)

Last edited by Sparklebeard on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:00 pm 

Reading this thread totally makes me wonder if my car is not performing correctly. 2016 egolf SE with FC option. For the first 20k miles I never had a need to fast charge. Lately (at 23k) I've been taking it on "longer" trips and have found that if I DCFC one day (and charge by L1 or L2 at my destination) it will not DCFC a day later on the way home. Let alone consecutively. It just acts unresponsive with both EVgo or Chargepoint DCFC if I haven't had at least 2 full cycles of AC charging in between if I want to DCFC again.
Anyone else have experience with the fast charge not able to communicate with vehicle? I thought it would default to slower speeds if conditions were not ideal for the battery but I get nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:21 pm 

ultim8gamr wrote:
Reading this thread totally makes me wonder if my car is not performing correctly. 2016 egolf SE with FC option. For the first 20k miles I never had a need to fast charge. Lately (at 23k) I've been taking it on "longer" trips and have found that if I DCFC one day (and charge by L1 or L2 at my destination) it will not DCFC a day later on the way home. Let alone consecutively. It just acts unresponsive with both EVgo or Chargepoint DCFC if I haven't had at least 2 full cycles of AC charging in between if I want to DCFC again.
Anyone else have experience with the fast charge not able to communicate with vehicle? I thought it would default to slower speeds if conditions were not ideal for the battery but I get nothing.

That seems unusual. You definitely can DCFC over and over without AC charging, putting aside concerns about what that might do for the battery). Is the 16 SE limited in some way compared with the SEL?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6