Bosch charger at home vs. Chargepoint?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got an email from Chargepoint saying that they're going to have a home charger come out this summer. Not only is it cheaper and smaller than the Bosch it requires no actual installation. You just plug it in a 240 outlet.

I recently got my eGolf and I need to have a panel upgrade before I install any level 2 charger so it's been 110 for me and that's been working just fine. It's obviously not a long term solution though. My question is, are we REQUIRED to get the Bosch charger installed? Will doing the Chargepoint charger void my warranty? I have a three year lease, not a purchase.

If anyone knows I would gratefully appreciate some intel on this. I just got the car and I absolutely love it.

Thanks!

You can use any J1772 home charging station and it cannot void your warranty.

There are many available. Reputable names include:

Clipper Creek
Leviton
Bosch
Schneider
GE
Siemens
Aerovironment

Buying the unit online somewhere like Amazon or Homedepot.com will save you money compared to having the electrician supply it.
When choosing a unit, it helps to check the Amps delivered to the car. Some units are fixed and some are configurable by the installer so that it can match to different circuit capacities.

Also, note that there is a link at the top of this forum "Compare EV Chargers" that is a pretty good reference.

If you do not have a conveniently located 240V outlet (of the right type), then any EVSE will require something to be installed.

As far as I know, Clipper Creek has the lowest priced unit, and it is a very good unit. I have a Juicebox Premium, which is a bit more, and it has a display that tells you how much electricity was used with each charge.

eGolfeGirl said:
I just got an email from Chargepoint saying that they're going to have a home charger come out this summer. Not only is it cheaper and smaller than the Bosch it requires no actual installation. You just plug it in a 240 outlet.

How do you know the Chargepoint Home charger is cheaper? I cannot find any pricing info for it! (It is certainly nicer looking).

I've got the Schneider one and it's available in either hard-wired or plug-in versions. Plugging into a dryer-type outlet is not unique to the Chargepoint home charger.

Back