Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Any e-golf owners in Arizona?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:31 pm 

case in point - charged overnight, started this morning with 117 miles estimated range
drove 54 miles (highway, mostly in eco mode)
car says my average economy is 3.9 miles/kwh
current range now shows only 44 miles! should be 63 right?

what gives?

thanks all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:04 pm 

rhmt wrote:
case in point - charged overnight, started this morning with 117 miles estimated range
drove 54 miles (highway, mostly in eco mode)
car says my average economy is 3.9 miles/kwh
current range now shows only 44 miles! should be 63 right?

what gives?

thanks all.

So the 117 miles was based on your last estimated avg economy - whatever it was right before charging. The new range is based on the avg economy you achieved during your 54 mile drive. My guess would be that you get slightly better avg economy on your way home than you do on your way to work?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:06 pm 

actually, average economy was about equal. 3.9 to 4.0 miles/kwh each way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:41 pm 

rhmt wrote:
actually, average economy was about equal. 3.9 to 4.0 miles/kwh each way.

You are driving too fast, and running the AC too hard. Set cruise at 55 MPH and set Air Temp at 77. Keep in mind, you live in PHX, humidity is attrocious right now, as are ambient temps.

IMHO, with the way people in PHX drive 80 MPH with the AC blasting, on any of the Freeways around PHX, an e-Golf is a terrible choice. Even on surface streets, people drive 60 -70 MPH. That's just too much for an e-Golf, IMHO. The miles are long, and every one drives fast in AZ.... I think a far better choice for you would have been a Golf, Jetta, or Passat TDI, if you wanted to stay in a VW or any model Toyota or Scion.

An e-Golf is an urban crawler, should be driven like a tortoise around town, on city streets, not freeways, if you want max miles per kWh. It's not a greyhoud or a cheetah, that you can run fast on county roads, freeways or interstates, the battery just doesn't store that much energy for any kind of range.

Sounds to me like you'll be piling on the miles on your e-Golf, 500-550 miles per week? Don't think it's going to last very long for you, you're running that battery hard all spring, summer and fall, along with the AC. Overnight recharge it and don't use the DCFC feature unless it's an absolute emergency. DCFC in the heat you have there will kill the battery quickly, spring, summer and fall.

Full spectrum VW owner, life is too short to wait to drive for a recharge.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:02 pm 

thanks - i hear all of your points jt.

but i can’t imagine vw would think we wouldn’t drive the car on highways. do others agree with this?

just wondering if maybe i should get my battery checked out - only had the car for a month.

thanks all!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:52 pm 

rhmt wrote:

but i can’t imagine vw would think we wouldn’t drive the car on highways. do others agree with this?

just wondering if maybe i should get my battery checked out - only had the car for a month.

thanks all!

They didn't offer it for sale in AZ... that might be one of your signs, or, NV or TX or MI or FL. They do offer it in the North East, and some West Coast states, but probably 70% or more of all e-Golfs are sold in CA.

One other typical sign... VW offers 7500 mile/yr and 10,000 mile yr leases on these, which is really what they want to put you in, a lease.

Last sign... Almost any German car will have a speedometer where when the needle is straight up pointing at 12 o'clock, that's where the optimum cruising speed is. It's 80 mph /130kmh on my Passat, and any other model that VW makes. It's 100 mph /160 kmh on my Touareg. It's 50 mph /80 kmh on my e-Golf. It's been this was with VDO gauges in VW's, Audi's and Porsches since my 1967 Beetle. You can run a VW all day long, up and down, with the speedo needle straight up. Go beyond that, and you are on your own.

Don't try to justify 80 mph as acceptable, when you are getting even less range per recharge than the window sticker says.

Good luck with your e-Golf, I really feel you're going to need it. You'll be dealing with a warranty void on that battery pack, is my guess.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:57 am 

JoulesThief wrote:
rhmt wrote:

thanks all!

They didn't offer it for sale in AZ... that might be one of your signs, or, NV or TX or MI or FL. They do offer it in the North East, and some West Coast states, but probably 70% or more of all e-Golfs are sold in CA.

One other typical sign... VW offers 7500 mile/yr and 10,000 mile yr leases on these, which is really what they want to put you in, a lease.

Last sign... Almost any German car will have a speedometer where when the needle is straight up pointing at 12 o'clock, that's where the optimum cruising speed is. It's 80 mph /130kmh on my Passat, and any other model that VW makes. It's 100 mph /160 kmh on my Touareg. It's 50 mph /80 kmh on my e-Golf. It's been this was with VDO gauges in VW's, Audi's and Porsches since my 1967 Beetle. You can run a VW all day long, up and down, with the speedo needle straight up. Go beyond that, and you are on your own.

Don't try to justify 80 mph as acceptable, when you are getting even less range per recharge than the window sticker says.

Good luck with your e-Golf, I really feel you're going to need it. You'll be dealing with a warranty void on that battery pack, is my guess.

Most of the time I try to ignore old JT, charming curmudgeon that he is, but sometimes, ya just gotta say something.

The eGolf is sold in CARB states. Period. AZ, FL, TX, NV are not CARB states. Parts of California are just as hot as AZ, and yet the car is still sold there.

VW offers leases with these annual miles on all their vehicles, so not sure what the point of this statement is.

The eGolf is sold in Germany. While the days of the unrestricted Autobahn have mostly gone away, I defy you to tell me that people aren't routinely driving the recommended speed in most places, which happens to be 130kmh(81mph).

So, rhmt, you can pretty much ignore JT like the rest of us do. He has his particular way of driving that works for him, he does achieve commendable efficiency with his eGolf, and I'm sure it will last him a long time. But I didn't buy my car to baby and pamper it, I bought it to DRIVE it, and I do nearly every day at 80mph with the AC on and the outside temp over 110F. It's fit for that purpose just fine. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:03 am 

my thoughts exactly.
thanks!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:44 am 

rhmt wrote:
my thoughts exactly.
thanks!!!

Then don't bitch about the limited range on a charge! I consider your driving style on an e-Golf abusive. Buy a Tesla with active battery cooling instead.

You've been advised. You also need to understand that boards like this are for the most part proliferated with abusers of their cars, in the name of "sport" or "fun". Speed costs, how fast you want to go, how badly do you want warranty coverage. Know that VW is tracking your battery consumption rates, and if they can weasel out of any type of warranty work, they will. You will then find out the price of "German Engineering" when something breaks on your e-Golf. I promise you... you'll be crying with how expensive it is to fix. You'll also be crying with how long it takes to get parts from Germany for your e-Golf. And you'll be crying no one in AZ is properly trained to repair of fix it. VW is pretty fed up with America after CARB and dieselgate. Don't expect a lot of support, or support in a timely manner.

Last edited by JoulesThief on Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:46 am 

wasn’t bitching. just asking others about their experiences.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next