Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will e-golf make a roundtrip from san jose to santa cruz
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:23 pm 

I planned to drive my e-golf from San jose to santa cruz (round trip) after a full charge. Will it have enough juice to make it?

Did anyone do this before?

Post subject: Re: Will e-golf make a roundtrip from san jose to santa cruz
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 pm 

San Jose is a pretty big city. How many miles is the trip? Most likely you can make it, but the return trip over the hill will be stressful because the GOM will make you crazy with its wild swings of guessing. The most important part is that you arrive in Santa Cruz with more than 50% battery level.

Regardless of how many miles the trip is, you should check for backup charging locations in case you come up short on range when you're almost to your destination.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:55 pm 

From san jose cambrian area to santa cruz. around 27 miles one way.

Anyone made a trip like this before? on hwy 17.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:46 pm 

[quote="jasonring"]From san jose cambrian area to santa cruz. around 27 miles one way.

Anyone made a trip like this before? on hwy 17.[/phquote]

Depends on how fast and aggressive you drive it or how slow and conservative you drive it. Sounds like you should make it, if you slow down a bit. Like 55mph, no AC, windows cracked.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:59 am 

Do you have to go over 17? That would make me nervous. Hills take a lot out of the battery.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:38 pm 

Frank3 wrote:
Do you have to go over 17? That would make me nervous. Hills take a lot out of the battery.
What goes up must come down. I have found that driving over 17 at a conservative speed and using regen downhill to control the speed gives an efficiency equal to driving 65 on a flat highway. The lower average speed reduces your consumption. 60 total miles over 17 and back when it's not raining is no problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:43 pm 

Answer is yes.

Over the Santa Cruz mountains on a single charge (in theory)

Biggest thing to be aware if is you'll burn through 1/4th the battery coming up the hill but will use virtually none coming down until you hit Scotts Valley or Los Gatos. Assuming you don't get stuck in the traffic jam, using the D1/2/3/ regenerative braking modes will help regain some battery.

I've done Santa Cruz to downtown San Jose, Santa Clara, and even Sunnyvale OK. "Worst case" scenario is getting kicked down to Eco mode for the last few miles. Turning off climate control and keeping the speed under 70mph even on the open highway sections avoids that issue and gets me back with 15-25% battery remaining.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:39 am 

miimura wrote:
Frank3 wrote:
What goes up must come down. I have found that driving over 17 at a conservative speed and using regen downhill to control the speed gives an efficiency equal to driving 65 on a flat highway. The lower average speed reduces your consumption. 60 total miles over 17 and back when it's not raining is no problem.

For the unititiated, define in mph, what "conservative speed" is. It is relevant to this discussion, since peoples driving styles don't always use the same speed in mph for their definition of conservative. Conservative is a relative term to the user. MPH is a more absolute term, that can be quantitatively measured.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:02 pm 

JoulesThief wrote:
miimura wrote:
Frank3 wrote:

For the unititiated, define in mph, what "conservative speed" is. It is relevant to this discussion, since peoples driving styles don't always use the same speed in mph for their definition of conservative. Conservative is a relative term to the user. MPH is a more absolute term, that can be quantitatively measured.
It's a winding mountain road. You obviously can't drive it at one specific MPH.

The most important thing for driving Hwy 17 is to avoid the friction brakes. There are downhill straightaways with relatively sharp bends at the bottom. If you drive it like most ICE drivers, even coasting up to high speed, then braking hard before the turn, you will be throwing away all the potential energy as heat in the brake discs. Use the various D modes to control your speed and then either use B when you really need to scrub off some speed, or brake gently so it uses regen instead of friction.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:04 am 

miimura wrote:
JoulesThief wrote:
miimura wrote:

It's a winding mountain road. You obviously can't drive it at one specific MPH.

The most important thing for driving Hwy 17 is to avoid the friction brakes. There are downhill straightaways with relatively sharp bends at the bottom. If you drive it like most ICE drivers, even coasting up to high speed, then braking hard before the turn, you will be throwing away all the potential energy as heat in the brake discs. Use the various D modes to control your speed and then either use B when you really need to scrub off some speed, or brake gently so it uses regen instead of friction.

I was referring to your conservative travel speed on the freeway portions, in the flats of the valley. As long as you don't peg the regeneration needle at the max in the green, you are not using friction brakes.