Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What does CPO mean for eGolf?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:06 pm 

Searching around I finally found the 112 point inspection for a VW CPO vehicle:

http://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/PDFs/WorldAuto/VW_WorldAuto-Inspection_Checklist-1-22-13.pdf

At least 14 points have nothing to do with an EV; exhaust system, engine, and transmission obviously don't apply.

So does anyone know if there's an EV-specific checklist? Will they check and guarantee a certain battery capacity or mile range?

In VA all I can get is a CPO since VW won't sell them new here, and I want to be sure I'm getting a car that's being checked for what matters in an EV.

Post subject: Re: What does CPO mean for eGolf?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:43 pm 

I know that I’m not answering your question, but it got me thinking: If you can’t buy a new eGolf in VA, then you shouldn’t expect there to be any certified eGolf techs in VA. If there are no certified techs, how is it possible to sell a certified used EGolf where all the EV components have (at least theoretically) been inspected?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:30 am 

When I bought out the lease on my eGolf, I submitted it for the CPO process. It does go through a checklist of inspection items (same as in your link), and they did replace the wiper blades and the two front tires. My bumper to bumper warranty was extended to 5 years/60k miles as a result of that.

They do check the electrical system but they didn't give me a report of remaining battery capacity. The CPO process does not extend the 8 year/100k battery warranty.

2016golfse wrote:
I know that I’m not answering your question, but it got me thinking: If you can’t buy a new eGolf in VA, then you shouldn’t expect there to be any certified eGolf techs in VA. If there are no certified techs, how is it possible to sell a certified used EGolf where all the EV components have (at least theoretically) been inspected?

There are a few dealers certified in eGolfs in areas where the car is not officially sold new. Also, the dealer could have had the car shipped to another state (like adjacent MD) where the car is officially sold, to have the certification done.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:12 am 

These are great points. MD is just around the beltway, so I'm going to ask if that's how they got the car certified.
The worry for me is if it's not the case that an eGolf certified tech has to do the CPO, and the CPO checklist doesn't include EV-specific items to check, what am I getting? The VW warranty is a little peace of mind, but I don't want to have problems that need fixing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:31 pm 

So the dealer in VA assures me the Master Foreman who CPOed the car is certified on the eGolf and that I can get service there. This is what I needed. I'll let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:09 am 

Guys, this is very useful to know!
Tnx