Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Missing inventory
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:53 am 

My advice would be to avoid the E-Golf altogether in AZ. Liquid cooled thermal management is really a must-have there. If your heart is set on getting one, the 2016's would be my recommendation as they came with vastly improved infotainment - really a night and day difference with Android Auto and Apple Carplay. That's in addition to setting the charge parameters without having Carnet service.

Know that the price of the 2015's is going to drop very soon in CA (if not already), because all of the white HOV stickers will no longer have value as of 1/1/19. Definitely DO NOT OVERPAY! A lot of the 2016's were sold in 2017, so their stickers can be renewed and aren't in the same boat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:34 pm 

2016golfse wrote:
My advice would be to avoid the E-Golf altogether in AZ. Liquid cooled thermal management is really a must-have there. If your heart is set on getting one, the 2016's would be my recommendation as they came with vastly improved infotainment - really a night and day difference with Android Auto and Apple Carplay. That's in addition to setting the charge parameters without having Carnet service.

Know that the price of the 2015's is going to drop very soon in CA (if not already), because all of the white HOV stickers will no longer have value as of 1/1/19. Definitely DO NOT OVERPAY! A lot of the 2016's were sold in 2017, so their stickers can be renewed and aren't in the same boat.

Great advice, thank you! I've ruled out the 2015s as an option due to that info.

Thermal management - While it IS a concern of mine, is there any way to really measure it? Yes, 6 months of the year here it's wicked hot however the other 6 are ideal EV weather. And, I will not be fast charging it, mostly 120v (maybe 240) at home. The Focus fit my needs, but I was really looking forward to something a little more fun to drive and more purpose built (the storage alone in that thing is horrible)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:22 pm 

jaybird wrote:
Great advice, thank you! I've ruled out the 2015s as an option due to that info.

Thermal management - While it IS a concern of mine, is there any way to really measure it? Yes, 6 months of the year here it's wicked hot however the other 6 are ideal EV weather. And, I will not be fast charging it, mostly 120v (maybe 240) at home. The Focus fit my needs, but I was really looking forward to something a little more fun to drive and more purpose built (the storage alone in that thing is horrible)

The dealer can measure battery degradation. Someone with VCDS can also help. See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=564

120V/240V charging will help, especially if done only at night during cooler temperatures, but the stresses you'll put during the day will still occur.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:02 pm 

Or you can see the usable kWh using OBDEleven. There are threads on SpeakEV on how to do this. The only issue is that if you continue to keep the car in very high ambient temperatures, the battery degradation will probably get worse over time. How much worse? Only VW knows that and they aren't telling us. Try to avoid high temps and high states of charge (which is why being able to set the charge limit to 80% in really hot weather is important). Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:09 pm 

Great information all, really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:34 pm 

The SEL has LED headlights, heat pump, leather steering wheel, hands free phone for steering wheel, and faux leather seats, that don't stain like that of an LE or SE model with fabric seats. All the goodies of a loaded Golf vehicle.

The HOV sticker is a non issue in AZ, where the interested buyer lives. It's laughable placing "value" on a HOV lane sticker, unless you live in Los Angeles, or somewhere around San Jose or San Francisco. If you buy an e-golf for use in the HOV lane, so you can speed, you're missing the primary function of the e-Golf. That's government interference trying to control your motivation for buying electric. It's a city car, not an interstate, freeway, or highway star road burner.

I can easily control my level of charge % with my e-motorwerkz 40Pro EVSE unit. I just load in how many kWh I want to add to the battery, with every charge, from my smart phone. Since there's a 8 to 9% loss in kWh when charging, and the battery already only fully charges to about 91%, I just take miles driven on a charge and divide by miles per kWh, and with the 9% loss, if I take the kW number, it will put me very close to 79 to 82% SOC, with some rounding up or or down of whole kWh.

Be careful and verify what F1geek posts, there's a lot of misinformation he posts up, and nonsense. If you really want to know how hard an e-Golf has been run, find out how many miles they get out of a stock set of Ecopia 422 Plus tires. Also look at their long term miles per kWh. That will tell you all you need to know. Then look at the wear and tear exterior and interior.

I've never had a problem selling any of my used VW TDI's for top dollar, private party. The 2015 SEL e-Golf will be no different.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:47 pm 

2016golfse wrote:

VW tests their electric cars in Death Valley, CA, every single summer.... which is why there's a 55 kWh DCFC charger located in Beatty, NV, just outside the eastern boundaries of Death Valley in NV. Obviously, VW knows what they are doing, when it comes to batteries. The battery chemistry in an e-Golf is different than the failure prone chemistry of the Nissan Leaf's that got baked doing fast charges in the Arizona desert heat. VW also, at one point, promised a 50 state electric car.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:08 am 

No problem, jaybird. I'm glad I was able to help. If you want to learn more about how heat and state of charge interact to degrade batteries, visit www.batteryuniversity.com. There is lots of information here that will tell you to best care for a lithium ion battery, especially to keep it away from high temperatures (especially above 45C) and to perform partial charges, if possible to improve longevity. There is a lot to read. I have to agree with many other posters that in a hot place like AZ, a liquid cooled battery pack is your best bet. As to VW's battery "expertise", I am a very glad that VW purchases their batteries from Panasonic (2015 and 2016 cars) and Samsung SDI (2017 car), because Panasonic and Samsung SDI truly have battery expertise.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:46 am 

JoulesThief wrote:
The SEL has LED headlights, heat pump, leather steering wheel, hands free phone for steering wheel, and faux leather seats, that don't stain like that of an LE or SE model with fabric seats. All the goodies of a loaded Golf vehicle.

Sounds like a plug (pun intended) for someone that's selling their car. That said, a 2016+ SEL has all of the above, plus the better infotainment and charging options without requiring Carnet service.

JoulesThief wrote:
The HOV sticker is a non issue in AZ, where the interested buyer lives. It's laughable placing "value" on a HOV lane sticker, unless you live in Los Angeles, or somewhere around San Jose or San Francisco. If you buy an e-golf for use in the HOV lane, so you can speed, you're missing the primary function of the e-Golf. That's government interference trying to control your motivation for buying electric. It's a city car, not an interstate, freeway, or highway star road burner.

I agree, a CA HOV sticker doesn't apply in AZ. That's obvious, but thank you for pointing it out. Laughable or not, the expiration of white stickers will impact the resale value of the car given that most of these vehicles are in CA.

JoulesThief wrote:
I can easily control my level of charge % with my e-motorwerkz 40Pro EVSE unit. I just load in how many kWh I want to add to the battery, with every charge, from my smart phone. Since there's a 8 to 9% loss in kWh when charging, and the battery already only fully charges to about 91%, I just take miles driven on a charge and divide by miles per kWh, and with the 9% loss, if I take the kW number, it will put me very close to 79 to 82% SOC, with some rounding up or or down of whole kWh.

Yes, there are other ways to control SOC. Doesn't change the fact that with the 2016+ models, you don't need to do any of that. I too have a Juicebox 40 Pro btw. I just never bothered to take it out of the box because 120V suits my needs for now.

JoulesThief wrote:
Be careful and verify what F1geek posts, there's a lot of misinformation he posts up, and nonsense. If you really want to know how hard an e-Golf has been run, find out how many miles they get out of a stock set of Ecopia 422 Plus tires. Also look at their long term miles per kWh. That will tell you all you need to know. Then look at the wear and tear exterior and interior.

It's fair to say that the tone of some of your posts can rub people the wrong way. At the same time, you do have intelligent things to add to a thread.

JoulesThief wrote:
I've never had a problem selling any of my used VW TDI's for top dollar, private party. The 2015 SEL e-Golf will be no different.

And I'm sure you'll have no problem. My suggestion (which hasn't changed) is to do it sooner than later because of the HOV sticker expiration.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:45 am 

I live in California but because I live in Santa Cruz I could care less about the HOV stickers. I have used them once in the 9 months we have owned our eGolf, and that was to take the car to the dealer for charge system fix for Clipper Creek right after we bought the car. I am only 35 miles from San Jose, but my wife and I both work on this side of the hill. The HOV stickers will expire for everyone someday. Should not be a resale value consideration IMO.

1983 Audi Ur Quattro "the garage queen" looks pretty and appreciates daily

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next