Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Speculation about 2019 e-Golf
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:34 am 

DepletedZPM wrote:
The rush for red California HOV stickers makes me wonder if I might do better to wait until later in 2019, and sit on a lease extension in the meantime. I don't use the freeways that much...

You know the stickers issued in January will be Violet and they will expire one year later than the Red ones, don't you?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:37 am 

DepletedZPM wrote:
The rush for red California HOV stickers makes me wonder if I might do better to wait until later in 2019, and sit on a lease extension in the meantime. I don't use the freeways that much...

Sit on the lease extension until January at the least, wait for the white sticker cars to decrease in value on the used car market, and VW may give you a lower price for you buyout the car (unlikely but possible).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:41 am 

miimura wrote:
You know the stickers issued in January will be Violet and they will expire one year later than the Red ones, don't you?

This is very correct. Violet expires 1/1/23 while the reds expire 1/1/22. That said, you can buy a car now (if there's a good deal), and immediately apply for the stickers, you'll get a violet sticker because it's based on the date of sticker issuance (no way the State will process the application quickly during the holidays), not the date of vehicle purchase.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:50 am 

johnnylingo wrote:
Looks like the 2019s will be arriving in the Bay Area at least within a few weeks. Sunnyvale says they're "arriving daily" and Stevens Creek lists a few "in transit". The latter has about 10 2017/2018 models still on the lot. Capital claims to have two 2019s - I'll stop by there tomorrow and see.

I did notice the MSRP for a base 2019 SE has increased to $33k. This would indicate that DC fast charging is now standard. It'll be really interesting to see what types of deals people can get. With the White/Green HOV stickers here expiring on December 31st, I imagine the discounts will be minimal.

MSRP 2018 SE without DC: $31,525
MSRP 2018 SE with DC: $32,520
MSRP 2019 SE (with DC and DAP standard): $33,575

I imagine the discounts will be minimal, not because of the stickers (because the state is issuing new ones), but because GM and Tesla have already hit their 200K plug in sales cap, and thus the out-of-pocket costs Model 3's and Bolts are going up (Model 3 in January, Bolt in July). The Leaf doesn't have the long range out yet, and the Hyundai/Kia EV's are in short supply.

My suggestion is to buy a 2018 if you find a good deal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:57 am 

2016golfse wrote:
DepletedZPM wrote:

Sit on the lease extension until January at the least, wait for the white sticker cars to decrease in value on the used car market, and VW may give you a lower price for you buyout the car (unlikely but possible).

I was thinking of the doing the same! However, the HOV is very important for me as it saves me at least 1 hour per day. Plus I will also have to pay to renew the registration and most likely have to replace all (4) tires during the lease extension!
I really wanted to wait until next year as there are many more EV coming on the market. However, purchasing the 2018 model year for less than $20K (after discounts and rebates) make the most economical sense for me.
By the way, I will definitely wait until 2019 to apply for the HOV sticker as stated above the new HOV sticker will expire after 3 years plus the year it was issued (total of almost 4 years).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:44 pm 

2016golfse wrote:
DepletedZPM wrote:

FWIW, the paperwork for my lease extension (6 months) sets the purchase price at $12,190. If the 2016 had battery capacity of 36 kWh instead of 24 kWh, I think I would seriously consider it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:25 am 

2016golfse wrote:
DepletedZPM wrote:

I seriously doubt the white sticker eGolfs will decrease that much even after January. Dealers are still asking rather high prices for used ones with white stickers.

Like with the Leaf, there also seems to be demand from outside the US for off-lease eGolfs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:08 pm 

RonDawg wrote:
2016golfse wrote:
DepletedZPM wrote:

I seriously doubt the white sticker eGolfs will decrease that much even after January. Dealers are still asking rather high prices for used ones with white stickers.

Like with the Leaf, there also seems to be demand from outside the US for off-lease eGolfs.

The thing truly holding up the price of the White sticker cars is exports. They are popular in Jordan and Eastern Europe, even though the CCS connector is wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:36 pm 

I found a way to qualify for VW partner pricing, and sprang for a 2019 lease from Capitol VW.

We found the nearby Chevy dealer had interrupted the charge on my car in order to plug a Bolt into the DCFC station, so my departure was delayed. However, I was glad to start out with a fully charged vehicle. I've had relatively little freeway driving, so the car has been estimating close to 150 miles from the full ~36 kWh charge. With that kind of capacity, running outside 20-80% SOC may happen much less frequently than with the 2016 e-Golf.

I turned in the 2016 with 28,853 miles on the odometer. The pre-turn-in inspection on the 2016 e-Golf assessed $207, for scratches under the front bumper (where I parked too close to curbs and such), so I skipped the excess wear insurance for the 2019. I had briefly considered getting a plug-in hybrid to supercede the 2016 e-Golf, but that seemed like a step backwards after living with a maintenance-free EV.

The 2019 SE closes up much of the feature differences between the 2016 SE and SEL trims, so the initially 2019 SE feels much nicer than the 2016 SE. One 2019 feature that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere is the Car screens now include a "Think Blue. Trainer" which attempts to give drivers feedback about the efficiency of their driving. To me, it looks like a graphic accelerometer log and a questionable use of both developer and vehicle resources -- I'll be surprised if anyone finds it more useful than distracting or amusing.

I have mixed feelings about the infotainment system becoming primarily a touchscreen interface. In cold weather, touchscreen-compatible gloves become more significant. Also, I miss having a dedicated Mute button. Having voice controls partially compensate. Though the voice control can be temperamental, voice makes it easier for me to traverse some 32 GB of songs that I cloned from my desktop music library, compared with the 2016 infotainment.

Other random info I've acquired from getting the new car:
- The complementary Carnet EV subscription is 24 months vs. the 36 months that came with the 2016.
- Some California VW dealers used to automatically order HOV stickers from the DMV once they knew the VINs of incoming e-Golf stock. This is no longer permitted, but as I've mentioned, the stickers don't matter to me with my current commute.
- California requires temporary license plates on newly sold cars as of 2018-12-31, because unidentifiable vehicles were responsible for losing a significant chunk of toll revenue. I got the new car in ahead of this new rule; most years, I use toll roads and bridges just 1-3 times.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:13 am 

DepletedZPM wrote:
We found the nearby Chevy dealer had interrupted the charge on my car in order to plug a Bolt into the DCFC station, so my departure was delayed.

They were able to unplug you? Was the car locked? I find that DCFC in particular has issues of “letting go” on my 2015 even if I unlock the car.

Quote:
California requires temporary license plates on newly sold cars as of 2018-12-31, because unidentifiable vehicles were responsible for losing a significant chunk of toll revenue. I got the new car in ahead of this new rule; most years, I use toll roads and bridges just 1-3 times.

It’s actually after 1/1/2019, so cars sold today would qualify too: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/templp