Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does this e-Golf ad offend you?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:54 am 

According to InsideEvs, there is a new VW campaign for the electric Golf with the tagline "One Drive and You'll Almost Forget It's Electric" and it's caused some strong reactions among EV owners.

Quote:
The typical reactionary response to VW’s tagline is that forgetting it’s electric is impossible. Electric is what takes the standard Golf to a higher level. Once you’ve driven electric, you never go back, so VW stating that you’ll forget it’s electric misses the point entirely. Some of the reasons for going electric are greater refinement, smoothness in power delivery and an all-around more enjoyable driving experience. You certainly don’t want to forget these attributes of electric cars.

From http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-e-golf- ... -electric/

Agree? Or no big deal?
I kinda think no big deal, maybe that's what it takes to get some fence-sitters into the seat of an EV!

Post subject: Re: Does this e-Golf ad offend you?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:56 pm 

I'm not 'offended' but perhaps a bit disappointed. I wish more companies were pushing the benefits, rather than making apologies.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:55 pm 

ICE's are their bread and butter and EV sales are miniscule and a loss leader. ICEs have funded the development of bevs. They can't stray too far in touting EVs at the expense of ICE's. They're walking the plank with quicksand on each side

Ron

Clipper Creek 40A

Last edited by cove3 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:26 pm 

smacdonald wrote:
I'm not 'offended' but perhaps a bit disappointed. I wish more companies were pushing the benefits, rather than making apologies.

I'm with you. The whole tagline is an apology for the eGolf being electric.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:52 am 

Does not offend me. Just hope that VW starts selling the E-Golf in more states like Illinois.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:46 am 

smacdonald wrote:

I agree. Hopefully as more people see things like the Tesla P85D passenger reaction videos other car makers will feel more confident about promoting the benefits of electric drive. I think they can do that without hurting their ICE sales - most people are still going to buy ICE for the foreseeable future and even within their ICE ranges they can promote the benefits of the 1.4L and the 3.6V6 twin turbo without one crushing the sales of the other. There are niches everywhere...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:40 pm 

The tag line is written by a non EV driver.
As many of us are looking into our second EV, we know how loud, smelly, slow, difficult to slow down ICE cars can be!
We would be writing copy praising the incredible fun that we all know e driving represents.

Remember this is still ICE company that is intent on taking over Toyota for total sales and EV are not even 200 a month yet in US!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:27 pm 

I think it's witty. With 200/month in sales, VW is clearly trying to target the demographic that might actually purchase this car, beyond the EVers who were (or are!) watering at the mouth to get it. The point is to appeal to those on the fence and I think the messaging is great - you're going to forget about the worried part of being and EV owner and you'll almost forget - but you won't because you'll love it. That's my takeaway for whatever it's worth. I think it's clever. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:39 am 

It's right on the money. Most EV's are hideous to look at, and have a non-standard cockpit experience, as well. (Other than the relatively unaffordable Tesla S series.) That goes for the king of hybrids, the Prius, too.

The e-Golf solves both of those major hurdles for the average driver. It looks like a normal automobile on the outside. (In fact, a little nicer than a standard Golf with the LED lights and blue trim). And, it feels/drives like a standard car on the inside. (The materials and fit/finish are actually a bit above average for an "affordable" EV.)

The third hurdle, of course, is range. Right now, it seems only the Tesla S has that one licked. And, until they get the range closer to 200 miles, they will never be more than an urban commuter vehicle. Of course, a comprehensive network of QC stations would help..

Lots of folks are like me. They've wanted an affordable EV, but were waiting for one that looked and felt like a car, not a spacepod. The e-Golf fits that bill for many of us.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:33 pm 

garypen wrote:
Lots of folks are like me. They've wanted an affordable EV, but were waiting for one that looked and felt like a car, not a spacepod. The e-Golf fits that bill for many of us.

My take on it exactly. It's a VW, it's a chassis /body that's used across all the VW powerplants. Doesn't make too loud or brash a statement that it is electric, or say "look at me!"