my weekend with an eGolf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billev

I rented a 2016SE this past weekend via Turo.

My observations after my first ride in an eGOLF and any EV at all

- EV's instant torque is as great as advertised, love driving it around town. Number one attraction for me, along with the quietness.
- the fake noise to make pedestrians aware is faint to me, I wonder if my ears are ok given that others are really annoyed by it. I could barely hear it
- after about 15 minutes, I stopped fooling with the eco and eco plus mode. Just drove in normal with regen 2, and then moved to B when I was downhill or coming to a light. I might get better at regen, but econ and econ plus mode would only be for emergencies for me.
- Backing into my driveway everyday would get old (I guess could get longer cord?) I think the front of the car would be more convenient
- having the temp reset to 72 each time is the height of either stupidity or arrogance by VW, wish it just had manual controlled HVAC
Golf is a nice little car in general. Tidy and efficient looking inside.

WHy I wont prob wont be buying one

The seats are not at all comfortable to me. The lumbar support is not sufficient, even when fully engaged. My other cars seats are comfortable, so not sure what it is here. As noted below, I am tall, but my 2011 Accord, 2014 Odyssey and 2004 Sienna all feel just fine; the eGolf seat had me uncomfortable after about 10 minutes.

I am 6'4" with short legs (33 in inseam) and a long torso. Car feels cramped to me, the rear view mirror is right in my line of sight, the B pillar blocks my view to the left. Not the cars fault, but that's how it fits me.

Going to look at the Chevy Bolt and the MBZ B Class, both seem to have a bubble like roof that might be more accommodating. The Model X looks like it has good headroom too, but not looking to drop 100K on a car.

-

The Bolt may have a bit more headroom than the e-Golf, but I know it's a very narrow car and may not be roomy enough for you. If you want max interior space, the i3 should be on your list. I've seen drivers as tall as 6'6" feel comfortable in it. The Mercedes is a textbook compliance car; I haven't heard many flattering things about it's design or appearance, but those are matters of opinion.

Personally the e-Golf's size and seats are perfect for me. I'm 5'11" 190 lbs and like how they're firm, comfortable, and well contoured. The i3's uniquely narrow seats seemed to not support my back properly, but I'd have to spend more time in that car to say for sure it was an issue.

My e-Golf vs. i3 vs. Volt comparison

The seats are manually height adjustable with the big lever on the side. However, that won't do anything for the comfort and how the seat fits your body.

This car doesn't have a 'fake noise' like the Fiat, it makes no noise other than the tires rolling on the ground.

forbin404 said:
This car doesn't have a 'fake noise' like the Fiat, it makes no noise other than the tires rolling on the ground.

SMH... http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=204

JoulesThief said:
forbin404 said:

Then it must be broken on my 2016 SE, my car is so quiet I can creep up on people.

If you don't like the seats in the eGolf, you'll likely hate the ones in the Bolt even more, based on some reviews posted on EV forums that I've read. The Bolt is even smaller inside than the eGolf, particularly in interior width.

If you want a "bubble type" roof you may want to look at the Leaf. Lots of headroom and a more CUV-like driving position.

forbin404 said:
JoulesThief said:
forbin404 said:

Then it must be broken on my 2016 SE, my car is so quiet I can creep up on people.

I can't hear the one my 2015 supposedly has, but friends have told me they can hear it.

The one on the Leaf was much louder and I could hear it in the car if I turned the radio down.

forbin404 said:
JoulesThief said:
forbin404 said:

Same here, 2016 SE. it makes no sound. At all... I drive windows down at all time, nothing. Yesterday I loaned it to my neighbors to go up and down the street (and share the fun), they passed in front of me in both directions 4 times - it made no sound outside of tire noise. New car, 400 mi.... Weird. What's it supposed to sound like ? Formula E car ? Anyone got a video ?

Deschodt said:
Same here, 2016 SE. it makes no sound. At all... I drive windows down at all time, nothing. Yesterday I loaned it to my neighbors to go up and down the street (and share the fun), they passed in front of me in both directions 4 times - it made no sound outside of tire noise. New car, 400 mi.... Weird. What's it supposed to sound like ? Formula E car ? Anyone got a video ?

Roll down the window, and drive along side a concrete slumpstone wall on your right side on smooth pavement, from 0 to 10 mph. If you don't hear something, maybe it's only an SEL feature? D.O.T. is supposedly making it a mandatory feature on all electric and hybrid cars either now, or very soon.

That was delayed until March 2016. (Might even be delayed more), the 2016 SE does not make a noise.

My fiat does however, it sounds like they installed a bad alternator, I can hear it spinning (It does sound like someone is just outputting from a speaker). When the Fiat is going in Reverse, it makes sounds like someone was dragging tin cans on the ground.

Edit :
Sept 2019
https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/nhtsa-sets-quiet-car-safety-standard-protect-pedestrians

I guess it's a bit more sporting then, bagging pedestrians when your e-Golf has a growler, than being totally silent and stealthy. How many extra points for SEL's? :twisted: We have some incredibly aloof pedestrians walking around here in Los Angeles, oblivious to the world around them when blasting their Ipod or Iphones with who knows what, maybe audible books, maybe music, something. Every little bit to help them out should be appreciated to keep them from becoming statistics. Driving like a tortoise helps, IMHO. Gives them more time to jump out of the way. The kids coming off the campus at the University here on Nordhoff Blvd near Reseda Blvd, Los Angeles, IMHO take the cake, though. Mentally blind, me thinks.

JoulesThief said:
I guess it's a bit more sporting then, bagging pedestrians when your e-Golf has a growler, than being totally silent and stealthy. How many extra points for SEL's? :twisted: We have some incredibly aloof pedestrians walking around here in Los Angeles, oblivious to the world around them when blasting their Ipod or Iphones with who knows what, maybe audible books, maybe music, something. Every little bit to help them out should be appreciated to keep them from becoming statistics. Driving like a tortoise helps, IMHO. Gives them more time to jump out of the way. The kids coming off the campus at the University here on Nordhoff Blvd near Reseda Blvd, Los Angeles, IMHO take the cake, though. Mentally blind, me thinks.

Again I owned a Leaf and it had a quite audible noisemaker that can be heard from inside the car with the windows up. It made no difference, people still walked in front of you in parking lots. And most of them were not wearing headphones at the time.

RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:

Again I owned a Leaf and it had a quite audible noisemaker that can be heard from inside the car with the windows up. It made no difference, people still walked in front of you in parking lots. And most of them were not wearing headphones at the time.

So what are you saying? You can't fix stupid? As in stupid pedestrians?

You know this reminds me of the old cartoon where they made a deer hunter suit that said 'MAN' and had lots and lots of bells and whistles to tell people to not shoot them. And he still got shot.

No matter how much noise you put on a car, there will always be someone who gets hit by it. Because there are people who believe that they own the road (as a pedestrian) and all cars will stop for them. They are usually taken out by natural selection but a new one is born every minute.

JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:

So what are you saying? You can't fix stupid? As in stupid pedestrians?

Pretty much. Just last night I was at In 'N Out Burger and I had put my eGolf in reverse to back out of a space. I had to wait a bit as there was a car coming. But when that car passed I still had to wait as an employee, with broom and dust pan in hand, walked behind my car. I don't know if the noisemaker was audible to him (it was not to me) but I do know the reverse lights were on.

I guess they don't teach kids in school anymore to not walk behind cars with reverse lights on.

That's the funniest (involuntary) thing about this car. I'll pull up to a stop and a totally unaware pedestrian all of a sudden realizes there's a car there (still might be moving but super slow) and jumps in mid air from the scare... then I get the evil eye, but I can only return a shrug that hopefully conveys "WTF do you want me to do, bang a drum?" ;-)

Happens fairly regularly... Very unsporting, but I do enjoy the silence. If my car has that noisemaker I'd likely pull that fuse...

forbin404 said:
You know this reminds me of the old cartoon where they made a deer hunter suit that said 'MAN' and had lots and lots of bells and whistles to tell people to not shoot them. And he still got shot.

No matter how much noise you put on a car, there will always be someone who gets hit by it. Because there are people who believe that they own the road (as a pedestrian) and all cars will stop for them. They are usually taken out by natural selection but a new one is born every minute.

ROFLMO... Cheers forbin404! Darwin Awards!

Back