Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Calculating Cost to Charge eGolf with Solar in SoCal
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:29 pm 

Oops, my reply was in the quote section. My bad.

Back to a B250E 2017 cirrus white.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:37 pm 

GlennD wrote:

Yea. That confused the heck out me for a few. I didn't recall writing that! Very interested in hearing more about your statement

Do not over buy your EVSE. Even with a 40A EVSE the car will only charge at 30A. A 30A EVSE on a 40A circuit is fine. Actually the Clipper Creek is rated at 32A so you have a 2A reserve.

I was going to purchase a ClipperCreek HCS-50P which is 40 AMPs. This is more for enabling flexibility. But you're saying for the eGolf anything above 30 AMPs is a waste?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:14 pm 

uncleGarage wrote:
GlennD wrote:

Yea. That confused the heck out me for a few. I didn't recall writing that! Very interested in hearing more about your statement

Do not over buy your EVSE. Even with a 40A EVSE the car will only charge at 30A. A 30A EVSE on a 40A circuit is fine. Actually the Clipper Creek is rated at 32A so you have a 2A reserve.

I was going to purchase a ClipperCreek HCS-50P which is 40 AMPs. This is more for enabling flexibility. But you're saying for the eGolf anything above 30 AMPs is a waste?

Yes, the e-Golf will never pull more than 30 amps from any EVSE. However, if you get another EV in the future it can take advantage of the higher capacity EVSE. Today, only Tesla on-board chargers in their cars and the ones they provided to Toyota for the RAV4 EV and the Mercedes B-Class can pull 40 amps or more. It's good for future proofing. Your house is certain to outlast your car.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:01 am 

Perfect. Thanks miimura. Just the information I was looking for. I agree that going with a higher-amperage EVSE is the best bet. I see that you have run two different EVSE vendors. Can you share your thoughts?

The ClipperCreek is not a smart EVSE and I want to understand the ramifications of this. What kind of relationship can exist between the EVSE and an EV"s onboard charger? I assume that in certain instances they can communicate with each other so that the EV can signal the EVSE that it is fully charged and that the EVSE should stop.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:17 am 

I have one EVSE and 50 amp circuit for each EV. I've had my RAV4 EV and Leviton EVB40 EVSE since April 2013. At the time it was the only 40 amp EVSE below $1,000 with a J1772 connector. When we got the e-Golf, we used the provided 120V cord for almost 6 months. If it wasn't done when I woke up in the morning, I would unplug the RAV from the Leviton and plug in the e-Golf. That would always get it to full by the time my wife went to work. However, that was putting some of our charging outside the cheapest electric price window. I saw that somebody was selling their Jesla, a J1772 converted Tesla mobile EVSE, for about 40% off the new price, so I jumped on that. It's good because it is very portable and can automatically adjust the signal to the car to match the capacity of the circuit based on its plug adapters. In a year and a half, I haven't yet taken advantage of the portable nature of this EVSE.

To me, there are only two good reasons to use a Smart EVSE. First is energy metering. If you really want to know how much energy you are using to charge your car, the easiest way to get that data is to use an EVSE with internal metering. If you get a home energy monitor, you can install a channel just for the EV charging circuit too, but that's much more involved. The second is demand management. If you are in California, there are programs starting up where a Smart EVSE can be used to shift EV charging loads to either match renewable power generation or shave down peak grid loads. ChargePoint and eMotorWerks are the two vendors I know of that are involved in this. You can get some compensation for participating in these load management schemes. I wouldn't bother with other EVSEs that just have built-in timers and such.

Clipper Creek is a very highly regarded American vendor of EVSEs and they do have two specialized products relevant to this discussion. First is the JuiceNet enabled HCS-40. It adds the Smart features of the JuiceBox to the ETL Certified Clipper Creek unit. Second is the Share2 edition of the HCS-40. It allows the pair of EVSE to share a single circuit, dividing the available current between two cars dynamically by modulating the Pilot signal sent to each car.

Fundamentally, an EVSE is a safety device. All it is doing is telling the car how much current it is allowed to draw. When the car indicates that it is connected and wants to draw power, the EVSE activates a relay and delivers the wall power to the car. Until that point, there is no high voltage at the vehicle connector, so you can't get shocked. The EVSE doesn't know or care how full the car is. It's the car's job to properly manage its own charging. When the car is done, it drops the signal to the EVSE and the EVSE shuts off the power. Also, when you push the button on the J1772 connector, the car is supposed to immediately stop charging and tell the EVSE to disconnect the power.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:44 am 

A bigger EVSE can future proof your installation but all currently available cars follow the J1772 standard. That means if you have a car like my old B, it will charge just fine at 30A instead of the 40A it was capable of. Going to a 40A EVSE is a whole lot more than a 30A EVSE. Likely because it is heaver built and much lower demand.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 pm 

GlennD wrote:
A bigger EVSE can future proof your installation but all currently available cars follow the J1772 standard. That means if you have a car like my old B, it will charge just fine at 30A instead of the 40A it was capable of. Going to a 40A EVSE is a whole lot more than a 30A EVSE. Likely because it is heaver built and much lower demand.

I believe a 40 amp JuiceBox is competitively priced with all other 30 amp units out there. Matter of fact I bought a sample 40 amp unit directly from e motorwerks off of e-Bay for $300 last year. Inside, the Potentiometer had been adjusted down to 30 amps, max. The relay and points were brand new in it, replaced just before e-motorwerks sent it off to me. I've since adjusted it up to 40 amps, in case I come across a smoking deal on a B model Benz, used.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 pm 

40A is fine. your eGolf will only draw 30A from it. My late B would take it all. From what I can see the current non UL approved JuiceBox is a fine device. The redesign looks really nice. It is nice to have lower priced alternatives.

I am an OpenEVSE person but in spite of Chris's opinion the JuiceBox is a good device. It is just lacking in the open Linex documentation. At least the OpenEVSE source code is public. Not so much in the later design JuiceBox.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:11 pm 

I charge my eGolf each day from about 20 miles to full at home. I'm on TOU-1 rate with separate meter (Beta Program from SCE and ChargePoint) and my bill is about $25-$30 per month.
I've used 130 kWt last month. Off peak is about $.13 and OnPeak is about $.33 for summer and $.21 for winter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:40 pm 

vetaldj wrote:
I charge my eGolf each day from about 20 miles to full at home. I'm on TOU-1 rate with separate meter (Beta Program from SCE and ChargePoint) and my bill is about $25-$30 per month.
I've used 130 kWt last month. Off peak is about $.13 and OnPeak is about $.33 for summer and $.21 for winter.

Interesting, SCE changed my rates AGAIN.

It's 17 / 33 / 17 / 13 it was 28 / 33/ 28/ 13.

I guess it was a typo.

Vetaldj, do you have to have a separate meter? The TOU-B-D is as good as TOU-EV-1