e-golf factory cables

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlf

i have a new 35.8 kw e-golf and it came with two cables, one 10 amp with a box and another with 20 amperes to connect to the public chargers...is it normal de 20 amp cable as the car can charge at 32 amp (7.2 kw) ? or they switch the cables and gave me the wrong one?

mlf said:
i have a new 35.8 kw e-golf and it came with two cables, one 10 amp with a box and another with 20 amperes to connect to the public chargers...is it normal de 20 amp cable as the car can charge at 32 amp (7.2 kw) ? or they switch the cables and gave me the wrong one?
Where are you located? In North America there is no need for any cable to connect to public chargers because all our J1772 charging stations have captive cables.

You should check the manual for the specifications of the on-board charger. As far as I know, all 24kWh e-Golf cars in Europe have only 15 amps on-board AC charger. In North America, the rumor is that all 35.8kWh e-Golf cars will have the 30 amp on-board charger. Previously, the lowest trim had the 15 amp charger.

I have an 2017 e-Golf with the same cables, it seems the standard in Europe.
- One 230v 8A / 10A one phase slow charger, Schuko to Type 2
This slow charger allows to charge the car at 1.8kW (8A) or 2.3 kW(10A) using a standard plug.

- One Type 2 to Type 2 three phase 20A cable
The 2017 e-Golf has a two phase charger and if you use a three phase charge point with this cable, it will charge using two phases at 16A (7.2kW)

nestor said:
This slow charger allows to charge the car at 1.8kW (8A) or 2.3 kW(10A) using a standard plug.

The 2017 e-Golf has a two phase charger and if you use a three phase charge point with this cable, it will charge using two phases at 16A (7.2kW)
ok ....if i charge at monofase 7.2kw charger it only charges at 20 A is it right?

I'm not sure, but it should limit the charge or the cable could start a fire...

mlf said:
nestor said:

ok ....if i charge at monofase 7.2kw charger it only charges at 20 A is it right?
If the on-board charger is only 16 amps, then you will only get 3.6kW (230V * 16A) on single phase supply.

miimura said:
If the on-board charger is only 16 amps, then you will only get 3.6kW (230V * 16A) on single phase supply.

The on-board charger is more than 16 amps, my wallbox provides up to 25 amps on single phase and the car charges correctly at that current. It should charge up to 32A but I have no way to test it.

Just checked my 2017.5 36Kw bought in Quebec and I only have one 120v 10A charger that it came with.

Norm01 said:
Just checked my 2017.5 36Kw bought in Quebec and I only have one 120v 10A charger that it came with.
Then you need to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet and dedicated circuit in your garage that will handle 240V and 50 amps at the panel, 40 amps at the end run, where you plug in your EVSE to the outlet, and the output end of the EVSE into your car. Charging time should be a max of about 4.5, maybe 5 hours.

nestor said:

As mentioned earlier, things are done differently in North America than Europe. Here, public charging stations all have an attached cable with a J1772 connector (for Level 1/2 charging). At DC fast charging stations there will be an attached cable with either a CHAdeMO, a CCS, or a Tesla Supercharger connector, which one you use depends on the specific car you have and what kind of charging station it is. CHAdeMO and Tesla have more DCFC stations than CCS (what VW chose to use for North America) but CCS numbers are growing as more stations are being installed that have both CHAdeMO and CCS capability.

In Europe the norm is to "BYOCC" (Bring Your Own Charging Cable), presumably to thwart theft of cables (which is a problem in North America). Car manufacturers in North America include a charging cord that works only with 120 volt electricity. If you want to charge at 240 volts, you have to install your own charging station, convert your factory cord to dual-voltage (only possible with certain models, the one that comes with the Nissan Leaf being the most likely example), or you have to use a public charging station. The exception is Tesla, which includes a "Tesla Mobile Connector" that works with both 120 and 240 volt electricity.

North American homes are supplied with single-phase electricity. It's 240 volts coming into the home but except for very high wattage appliances like central air conditioners, clothes dryers, etc. the voltage actually being used is only 120 volts. You will only find 3 phase electricity in commercial environments here.

Back