Only 1 rim available for e-Golf, it's one I don't care for

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cove3

While VW US for some baffling reason does not have a build your own configurator, VW Germany does. Using Google translate, you can look at all the features/options available in Europe
http://app.volkswagen.de/ihdcc/de/configurator.html#30300

There's only 1 rim available for the e-Golf, I assume because the strategy is to establish the electric identity because the same rim is on the Golf GTE plug in. This rim doesn't seem to be an option for any of the other golf gas/diesel versions

The problem is I don't much care for the look of the rim. It's called Astansa, but the one I like is
Dover which comes with the comfort trim gas model. It's a clean, 5 spoke wheel and looks similar to my old BMW 3.0 CS coupe.

I'll ask the dealer if rims can be swapped, but I'll bet not

Ron

Definitely a unique look for the e-Golf and GTE wheels, but also better aerodynamics because of less open wheel space inbetween the 'spokes' of the wheels. Here are the pictures for reference

Here is the e-Golf wheels:
iris

And here are the Astansa wheels:
iris

I was going to put up pics of just the rims but you did a nicer job. I would give up whatever tiny aerodynamic advantage to get the Dover rims but I'm sure VW won't allow it

Ron

I notice the Golf EV is a 4 door, while the other Golf pictured is 2 door - plus the eGolf has a heavy battery pack. Is it possible the Astansa wheels don't have the weight rating needed to go on the EV?

The wheel that comes with the e-Golf is 6.5 16" "Astana" which I don't care for. Another wheel I prefer comes with the Golf GTI. It's 17" 7.5 named "Brooklyn". I've seen images of e-golf with wheels other than what comes standard but I don't know the implications of changing the size. 16" or 17" doesn't matter, but I'm wondering if range, ride, stability,warranty etc are affected. Probably the dealer won't want to fiddle it, so it might be an aftermarket thing. I understand the tire and wheel are optimized for range, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to mess with it.

egolfwheelsbrooklyn.jpg

Back