Comparison e-Golf MSRP to the competition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cove3

When comparing the 36,365 MSRP (incl 820 shipping) to the competition, you have to "normalize" for the fact that the US e-Golf is the loaded SEL model and includes many tangible and intangible features. Here's what I did for "normalizing" the BMW i3

i3 MSRP 42,400 MSRP Mega World (includes 950 shipping)
CCS charging 700
Heated seats 350
Parking Assist 1000
Metallic paint 550
Sub Total 45,000 * 1.08 tax = 48,600 versus 36,365 MSRP * 1.08 = 39,275
Net Difference 9,325

Unpriced e-Golf things est value:
Partial power seats 500
Leatherette seats 1000
SIRI radio 300
Total 46,800 * 1.08 = 50,544= versus 39,275
Final net difference 11,269

Additional qualitative plus: compact versus subcompact, 40% more cargo space, can see some of the hood, 2 full rear doors with electric windows, 5 passengers vs 4, more traditional look, 100 mile towing guarantee, 4 levels of braking regen vs one, ability to turn regen off, displays in dashboard versus on top of dash, touch screen

Possible minus: Battery not cooled, not as peppy, too conventional looking for some, not aluminum frame/carbon body, no REX option (but rex has weight/range penalty and lose heat pump}

One would have to do a similar normalization vs the LEAF, Fusion, MB B class, etc to really have all the factors for a buy decision

Ron

Ron

Focus Electric recently dropped in price to MSRP $29,995. Thru Jan. 5, 2015 there is a $4,000 incentive that brings it down to $25,995. That alone makes it difficult to justify the added expense for an e-golf. Plus it's fully loaded similar to the e-golf with the exception that if you want the power leather seats it's an extra $995. As a bonus the Focus Electric has a water cooled/heated battery so no worries about battery degradation due to temperature extremes.

triangles said:
Focus Electric recently dropped in price to MSRP $29,995. Thru Jan. 5, 2015 there is a $4,000 incentive that brings it down to $25,995. That alone makes it difficult to justify the added expense for an e-golf. Plus it's fully loaded similar to the e-golf with the exception that if you want the power leather seats it's an extra $995. As a bonus the Focus Electric has a water cooled/heated battery so no worries about battery degradation due to temperature extremes.

For me, the extra price is worth the extra cargo space and range... Of course I drive 55 miles daily and have a 4.5 month old boy.

Ford Focus - 14.5 cubic ft. / 76 epa range
eGolf - 22.8 cubic ft. / 83 epa range

There are some additional factors to consider. e-Golf has:
1. Parking assist.... camera etc (around 1k)
2. Level 3 ccs charging around $800. The general feeling on the BMW i3 forum is not having ccs will adversely affect the resale value, as in 2 or 3 years, ccs charging will be pervasive. In Europe, CCS is common, and all the VW dealers are installing it so I assume that will happen here. We're a year behind Europe.
3. The Focus is 250 lbs curb weight heavier, probably due to VW's use of more expensive high strength layered steel
4. Focus doesn't come in gray, which for me is a requirement
5. There's no telling whether the e-Golf will have some incentives post announce. You'd have to wait 4-5 months to see if like BMW and Ford, rebates will be offered if sales are slow
6. There's some subtle considerations ....the e-golf is leveraging off the huge volumes of the entire Golf line in that VW designed it as as a universal platform for gas, diesel, electric, fuel cell. VW appears committed to electric, hybrid, and fuel cell. This affects service, enhancements etc.

Net: After many hours of research, reading multiple e-Golf and i3 forums, I'm ordering the e-Golf, the only requirement being Limestone gray,

Ron

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have an e-golf. The few extra miles and other slight benefits of the e-Golf just don't justify a $10k+ price premium to me. There are many reasons I wouldn't have considered an i3. I do like that they have the option for a small range extending ICE generator though.

Cove3,
To counter some of your points:
1) The focus does have a backup cam but not parking assist. Parking assist (as well as a backup cam) is for idiots that can't drive IMHO :)
2) CCS charges wont exist anywhere remotely near me for at least 5 if not 10+ years, so not having it is a non-issue. Besides they'll probably have some new fangled super duper charging port by then anyway.
3) That extra weight will help in the snow! :lol: yep I agree with you here. The focus is a pig. I actually though there was a greater weight difference.
4) The focus comes in silver, that's close enuff to gray right? :lol: Actually I believe they are adding a few shades of gray for 2015. FYI if you haven't had a gray car before, I had a silver/gray car years ago. In the winter the car must have blended in with the gray sky because the I somehow was invisible to the idiot drivers around me. Hopefully there's better drivers where you live!
5) Yep that's another problem, They aren't available right now. I agree they will probably either drop the MSRP or use incentives to be more competitive down the road.
6) I'm not sure I have any response for this. Ford does treat the focus electric as a bastard redhead stepchild which doesn't bode well for future improvements. Hopefully VW's actions coincide with their rhetoric. Only time will tell if they are serious or just producing a compliance car.

Have you ordered yours yet? What is the lead time on them?

>>>> Hopefully VW's actions coincide with their rhetoric. Only time will tell if they are serious or just producing a compliance car.>>>

They have too many green cars out & under development to not believe they are serious ....up, e-golf, GTE, xl1 carbon fiber hybrid, fuel cell. The following indicates seriousness which VW is approaching the market:

Anyone doubting Volkswagen’s commitment to electric vehicles ought to pay close attention to last week’s comments from Dr. Heinz-Jakob Neusser, the head of powertrain development at VW.

Bridge to the future

Australian outlet Motoring reports on Dr. Neusser’s comments to media at the French round of the World Rally Championship.

“[Plug-in hybrid technology] is completely a bridging technology [and] we have two bridging technologies,” said Dr. Neusser. “At one end there is plug-in hybrid technology and at the other is fuel cells, because both enlarge your operating range of the car when you have no recharging system available.”

This statement makes it pretty clear that Volkswagen regards plug-in hybrid and fuel cell technology as temporary stop-gaps until battery technology reaches the inevitable tipping point.

VW has big expectations for battery improvements

Even as the VW group plans to release a flood of plug-in hybrids, the most recent being the Passat GTE, Volkswagen is known to be developing a so-called “super battery” and seems to be quite confident in its efforts to improve energy density:

“Battery [technology] makes the biggest steps in very short time frames,” explained Dr. Neusser. “We have more energy density in the batteries [than before], and in 2015-2016 will come the next step which means we come from 25-28 Ah energy density to 36-37 Ah. Now we are actually working on the next step to around 60 Ah.”

Dr. Neusser went on to indicate that 2020 and beyond will see a completely new battery chemistry, which presumably will be the 60 Ah ‘next step.’ He went on to say that the next-generation e-Golf, due out by 2017, will achieve 300 km of range compared to the current model’s claimed 190 km.
- See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/2250/volkswagen-exec-hydrogen-plug-hybrids-just-bridge-all-electric-cars#sthash.lK0M68uE.dpuf

I'm skeptical about VW's sincerity because they are a little late to the game. They've always had a BEV concept of one sort or another for several years. I really do hope they do push the technology and catch up to Tesla.

I started looking for an EV this past summer and early on decided I wanted to buy it before the end of the year. I haven't bought one just yet, but I think you know what I'm going to get. I really really wanted an e-golf but unfortunately to my knowledge they are only selling them in California and even then they are piratically vaporware. Sorry VW I can't wait for you any longer :( The price differential only sealed the deal. If I were willing to wait another year I think we will see some stiff price competition in since there are more EV's soon to be available.

They are initially being sold in the 10 ZEV states starting around Nov 20. States in the zero emission vehicles pact are: California, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Oregon, Maryland, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey and Vermont

My dealer in NY expect them in another week

Ron

triangles said:
I'm skeptical about VW's sincerity because they are a little late to the game. They've always had a BEV concept of one sort or another for several years. I really do hope they do push the technology and catch up to Tesla.

I started looking for an EV this past summer and early on decided I wanted to buy it before the end of the year. I haven't bought one just yet, but I think you know what I'm going to get. I really really wanted an e-golf but unfortunately to my knowledge they are only selling them in California and even then they are piratically vaporware. Sorry VW I can't wait for you any longer :( The price differential only sealed the deal. If I were willing to wait another year I think we will see some stiff price competition in since there are more EV's soon to be available.

I was told today they are going to be sold in 11 states and shipments are starting to get distributed. I think the reason California seems to be getting them quicker is because of the shipping ports they are arriving at. As far as I know, Nevada isn't even set to sell the e-Golf anytime this year, but yet I've already been given contact info for a master technician at a local Vegas VW dealer that is a certified e-Golf mechanic. So maybe that's a sign there are more states that will be selling sooner?

My dealer in my town in Mass said they will be getting one in (by end of Nov, but probly more like Dec). Then they have another 2 coming Jan/Feb. I am sure you could order one.
I am wondering if they will be getting a Fast DC Charger at the Dealership. Great news for me as I am about a mile from it.

My BIG problem is that I heard that the US version will NOT have the Liquid Cool/Heated battery packs.
That is a VERY big disappointment as here in New England and the cold.... that is why I have not bought a Leaf.

I am still trying to find out what Real mileage it will do. Say 62 mph on a highway for how far. There were testing done by a guy for the Kia and Spark EV's

The dealers in Europe are scheduled to get ccs chargers so I expect a US roll out as well. VW dropped the cooler for both Europe and US indicating studies didn't support a need. Since they give a 70% guarantee for 8 years I'm inclined to believe them. In any event it would be of use more for hot states eg az, nevada etc. Posts on the German forum indicate no range problems, unlike some problems on the i3 forums

Ron

cove3 said:
The dealers in Europe are scheduled to get ccs chargers so I expect a US roll out as well. VW dropped the cooler for both Europe and US indicating studies didn't support a need. Since they give a 70% guarantee for 8 years I'm inclined to believe them. In any event it would be of use more for hot states eg az, nevada etc. Posts on the German forum indicate no range problems, unlike some problems on the i3 forums

Ron

But I thought that it was still included in the Germany states. I didn't realize that they rolled out the NON liquid ones already.

Do you have the link to the German Forum ?

After reading the autoblog, that still says nothing about ACTUAL RANGE TESTED.

The German site was informative but still lacking info on year of car and if it had liquid cool or not.
And still no one has done a test for miles gone on single charge... flat ground. It is all varied info from some drivers. And all of them are in Hily areas. Germany is pretty much all hills, not too much straight flat that I remember from being there.

Back