Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: eGolf Stereo Upgrades
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:42 pm
Posts: 240
Here's a thread on VWVortex from someone who swapped out the infotainment system for the newest CarPlay-capable model. As you'll see, it's a big job!
What I didn't realize until seeing this step by step was that the main part of the system is the SD card reader in the glove box. The screen is just a screen and does not go deep into the dash at all. It makes sense now that I think about it that the CD slot is in the glove box - that's where the deep unit is.

This would have implications for changing the head unit. You wouldn't be looking for a double-DIN unit with a big screen, you'd be looking for a single-DIN 'headless' unit with a separate display...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eGolf Stereo Upgrades
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm
Posts: 2087
I'm thinking that if a 30 to 35 kw battery comes out in the e-golf in 2017 with a better head unit, my 2015 SEL is going to be up for sale sooner, rather than later.

_________________
2015 e-Golf SEL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eGolf Stereo Upgrades
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:34 pm
Posts: 370
You're going to need something like this http://maestro.idatalink.com to retain the factory information.
I haven't contacted them to find out when they'll support the eGolf.

http://maestro.idatalink.com/weblink/demo/demo-rr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eGolf Stereo Upgrades
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:55 pm
Posts: 8
Yes, I'm reviving a long-dead thread, but I see that as a duty when I have information applicable to a discussion that seems to float to the top of search results despite little or incorrect information. I'm in the US and have a new-to-me 2015 e-Golf SEL with the factory MIB 1 system. I installed an MIB 2 display and head unit briefly to test its functioning yesterday. (I pulled it back out pending a plan for dealing with component protection, and FEC / SWaP concerns.) Car-Net functions still worked fine. I could check my battery status, control HVAC, charging, etc, even with the uncoded, component-protected MIB 2 infotainment module installed in the glove compartment. Experiences may differ elsewhere, but in the US, Car-Net functions are provided by a module that's completely separate from the infotainment system. I suppose that's in-part why early models have Car-Net-only EV features in spite of the infotainment seeming to be completely unaware it's in an EV, save for a different "fuel" icon and the substitution of "mi/kWh" for "MPG".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eGolf Stereo Upgrades
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:14 am
Posts: 56
rd7575 wrote:
Yes, I'm reviving a long-dead thread, but I see that as a duty when I have information applicable to a discussion that seems to float to the top of search results despite little or incorrect information. I'm in the US and have a new-to-me 2015 e-Golf SEL with the factory MIB 1 system. I installed an MIB 2 display and head unit briefly to test its functioning yesterday. (I pulled it back out pending a plan for dealing with component protection, and FEC / SWaP concerns.) Car-Net functions still worked fine. I could check my battery status, control HVAC, charging, etc, even with the uncoded, component-protected MIB 2 infotainment module installed in the glove compartment. Experiences may differ elsewhere, but in the US, Car-Net functions are provided by a module that's completely separate from the infotainment system. I suppose that's in-part why early models have Car-Net-only EV features in spite of the infotainment seeming to be completely unaware it's in an EV, save for a different "fuel" icon and the substitution of "mi/kWh" for "MPG".


Where and for how much (if you don't mind me asking) did you acquire the MIB 2 components?

I went down this rabbit hole a while back and my understanding was that you'll NEVER (strong word, I know) legally be able to get the full functionality of the MIB2, specifically CarPlay, because you won't be able to get a license for it. Would love to hear otherwise or if you end up having any success.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eGolf Stereo Upgrades
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:55 pm
Posts: 8
Spektre wrote:
Where and for how much (if you don't mind me asking) did you acquire the MIB 2 components?

I went down this rabbit hole a while back and my understanding was that you'll NEVER (strong word, I know) legally be able to get the full functionality of the MIB2, specifically CarPlay, because you won't be able to get a license for it. Would love to hear otherwise or if you end up having any success.


I picked up the components used on eBay, save for the Carplay-compatible USB port and harness which I bought new. I did this on a whim without as much thought as it deserved. However, I'm only in for about $400 US so far. (Non-nav, component protection still active)

Carplay (App Connect, really) activation apparently requires a key, which for regular Golfs seems to be part number 5G0054830A. (Another $300 or so.) This part is available only because VW sold App Connect as a separate option in some markets. Since VW never sold bluetooth, nav, and certain other licensed functions as software-only upgrades anywhere (to my knowledge), there are no purchasable keys to activate these. There's conflicting information on which entitlements already associated to an MIB 1 car's VIN in VW's online activation system will carry-over to an MIB 2 retrofit, but everyone seems to be in agreement that the nav entitlement does not. The digest version of this seems to be that there's no use trying to do a "legal" upgrade if you want nav. The only nav option is hacked hardware. For a "legal" upgrade, you might also give up bluetooth and it's unlikely that the Car-Net menu can be made to work as I expect it does on models factory-equipped with MIB 2. However, I feel that my testing suggests the existing Car-Net features would continue to work. (Just as poorly as they do now.)

Obviously, there's an aspect of gambling here. Since I purchased the parts, I've discovered there's an MQB version of the RCD330. I had this Chinese market Carplay-compatible unit in a Passat CC and was relatively happy with it aside from low screen brightness. Life is in the way of any upgrade project for a few weeks, so I'll be pondering whether to proceed with MIB 2 or try the RCD330. The latter, though not component-protected or software-keyed, has it's own trade-offs. Among them are loss of cluster integration, lack of compatibility with stock amplifiers, no electric drivetrain screens, lack of sat radio, and loss of the overhead microphone. (It has an integrated microphone and bluetooth radio.) On the other hand, they're dirt-cheap to the tune of $200 shipped.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eGolf Stereo Upgrades
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:55 pm
Posts: 8
So, I received the MQB RCD330 a day after minor surgery on my leg. That’s about my luck. Still, with my wife’s help, I was able to plug it into the quad-lock connector in the glove compartment and tinker with it without tearing apart the dash.

Pros:
High-res 6.5” screen
CarPlay
Perfectly stock software and hardware
Controls traction control
Locks, lights, & similar functions work
Reverse camera “just works”
Park Pilot works
Can be coded to show a Golf on-screen
Integrated Bluetooth & microphone
FM with RDS (RDS must be coded)
All driving data functions work as well as they do on MIB1 (with caveats)
Phone info displays in cluster
Most steering controls work
Voice command button activates Siri
Screens and menus are very MIB1-like except very fast
Car-Net remote functions still work

Cons:
No Sat Radio
Likely no amplifier support
Somewhat less bass than the stock non-amplified MIB 1 system
No cluster display of audio data, be it radio, SD, Bluetooth, or whatever
Quad lock must be relocated to center of dash to install
Some module is in the way on my 2015 and will need to be relocated. (Might just sit on top of the RCD330.
Breaks all audio functionality of Car-Net. (The overhead mic and Car-Net Audi routes through the MIB1 radio)
Steering wheel phone button does nothing - might be a coding issue.
Driving data screens have wrong units but display correct data. (MPG on the radio matches MPKWH in cluster, “Since charged” is “Since re-fueled” or similar)
Driving modes work (after coding) but Eco+ is displayed as “off-road”.
USB connector is on the face of the unit. If you want to use the “ashtray” connector, you’ll have to break out a soldering iron.

More to come... Just have to get my body back in working order first!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eGolf Stereo Upgrades
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:55 pm
Posts: 8
I finally installed the RCD330 in my 2015. Sorry, no pictures because I'm a selfish jerk, and let's face it, they won't load in a few weeks anyway. It's a great fit and is a fantastic option for 2015 owners looking for a less infuriating interface that provides CarPlay. Key points:

    The part number I used is 5GD 035 280B, sourced from AliExpress here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JNDSNY-Mib-6-5-MIB-broadcast-system-supports-Carpaly-Bluetooth-Rearview-image-for-Volkswagen-Golf-7/32830871485.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4d3RjxnN

    No Sirius support at all. (This is a Chinese market part and there's no satellite radio coverage there.)

    Overall audio quality is good, but the built-in amp probably isn't quite as strong as the one built-in to the MIB1.

    I had to use the included diversity to single-input antenna adapter. Rearview camera "just worked".

    No cluster display of song titles (Says "Audio unavailable" or similar)

    Steering controls work, except the phone button. The voice command (or whatever) button activates Siri immediately, without a long press.

    Kills all voice functions of Car-Net but leaves remote, battery, and climate functions intact. Obviously, kills nav-related functions as there's no nav. Phones calls and voice commands use a microphone on the face of the unit.

    Some versions of the hardware support Android Auto, though this one doesn't seem to. I don't have an Android device with which to test, but it displays only CarPlay and MirrorLink logos when a new device is connected.

    Has no rear USB pins for integration with the stock USB / MDI location; The USB port is on the face. Your doctor has a pill for this. Else, you can get crafty with a soldering iron.

    Completely unaware that it's in an electric-drive vehicle so you gain nothing related to charge scheduling, etc. Displays correct information, but wrong units. For instance, I got got 5 km/L on my commute to work this morning and this matches the cluster's 5 mi/kWh reading.

    Drop the glove compartment to relocate the stereo harness to the center console (Enfig's mk7 ILX-007 video suggests otherwise, but it's way easier to just drop it.)

    The pedestrian noise module sits where the radio should go. Removal is obvious once you have the original display out of the dash. Discard the module's plastic sled and you can position the module at an angle with the wiring facing up behind the RCD330. There's plenty of room. I wrapped mine in some thick weatherstripping foam to combat rattles.

Issues I'm working through with VCDS but don't have a definitive answer:

    (Base) Golf on the display is always at least half-way through its trip across the screen. Might be a VCDS adaptation that tells the unit how much range the car starts with after a "re-fuel".

    Park Pilot works but doesn't overlay the backup camera image. I actually like this, but when I go from reverse to drive, the PP display appears, taking up the full screen until I'm moving at more than a few miles per hour or manually dismiss it. I'm not sure just what would satisfy me, but I intend to play with VCDS to see if there are options.

I'm forgetting a thousand things, no doubt. Do your research and proceed with caution. Good luck!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eGolf Stereo Upgrades
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:14 am
Posts: 56
rd7575 wrote:
I finally installed the RCD330 in my 2015. Sorry, no pictures because I'm a selfish jerk, and let's face it, they won't load in a few weeks anyway. It's a great fit and is a fantastic option for 2015 owners looking for a less infuriating interface that provides CarPlay. Key points:

    The part number I used is 5GD 035 280B, sourced from AliExpress here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JNDSNY-Mib-6-5-MIB-broadcast-system-supports-Carpaly-Bluetooth-Rearview-image-for-Volkswagen-Golf-7/32830871485.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4d3RjxnN

    No Sirius support at all. (This is a Chinese market part and there's no satellite radio coverage there.)

    Overall audio quality is good, but the built-in amp probably isn't quite as strong as the one built-in to the MIB1.

    I had to use the included diversity to single-input antenna adapter. Rearview camera "just worked".

    No cluster display of song titles (Says "Audio unavailable" or similar)

    Steering controls work, except the phone button. The voice command (or whatever) button activates Siri immediately, without a long press.

    Kills all voice functions of Car-Net but leaves remote, battery, and climate functions intact. Obviously, kills nav-related functions as there's no nav. Phones calls and voice commands use a microphone on the face of the unit.

    Some versions of the hardware support Android Auto, though this one doesn't seem to. I don't have an Android device with which to test, but it displays only CarPlay and MirrorLink logos when a new device is connected.

    Has no rear USB pins for integration with the stock USB / MDI location; The USB port is on the face. Your doctor has a pill for this. Else, you can get crafty with a soldering iron.

    Completely unaware that it's in an electric-drive vehicle so you gain nothing related to charge scheduling, etc. Displays correct information, but wrong units. For instance, I got got 5 km/L on my commute to work this morning and this matches the cluster's 5 mi/kWh reading.

    Drop the glove compartment to relocate the stereo harness to the center console (Enfig's mk7 ILX-007 video suggests otherwise, but it's way easier to just drop it.)

    The pedestrian noise module sits where the radio should go. Removal is obvious once you have the original display out of the dash. Discard the module's plastic sled and you can position the module at an angle with the wiring facing up behind the RCD330. There's plenty of room. I wrapped mine in some thick weatherstripping foam to combat rattles.

Issues I'm working through with VCDS but don't have a definitive answer:

    (Base) Golf on the display is always at least half-way through its trip across the screen. Might be a VCDS adaptation that tells the unit how much range the car starts with after a "re-fuel".

    Park Pilot works but doesn't overlay the backup camera image. I actually like this, but when I go from reverse to drive, the PP display appears, taking up the full screen until I'm moving at more than a few miles per hour or manually dismiss it. I'm not sure just what would satisfy me, but I intend to play with VCDS to see if there are options.

I'm forgetting a thousand things, no doubt. Do your research and proceed with caution. Good luck!


So, in summary, CarPlay is working fine? And this was only $158 dollars? Wow, that's awesome!

I don't use Sirius/XM and mount my phone to use Waze, so this would be great come the Fall when IOS 12 lets Waze into CarPlay!

Thanks for all the hard work - keep us posted of your adventures in VCDS please!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eGolf Stereo Upgrades
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:55 pm
Posts: 8
Spektre wrote:

So, in summary, CarPlay is working fine? And this was only $158 dollars? Wow, that's awesome!

I don't use Sirius/XM and mount my phone to use Waze, so this would be great come the Fall when IOS 12 lets Waze into CarPlay!

Thanks for all the hard work - keep us posted of your adventures in VCDS please!



I could have saved a lot of typing by condensing it to that! :D Yes, CarPlay works fine and is lighting-fast. Things that I've seen not work on aftermarket units work perfectly on the RCD330. (Maps darken with headlights, the right knob scrolls for screens where that makes more sense than touch, etc.) Sellers claim these units are being removed from new cars, but based on the number of them, I suspect they're "3rd shift" productions of authorized radios. Still, they're clearly an OEM design. The menus and graphics are nearly identical to US MIB 1 units. It really feels like a stock unit.

Oh, I forgot that coding is required to enable the climate control screen. This is just a nicety unless you have an SEL with the heated windshield. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the only way to control it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
© Volkswagen e-Golf Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group