Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is Car Net subscription mandatory for Mobile App usage?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:13 pm 

My abbreviated (EV-specific functions only) CarNet subscription ran out today, and sure enough I have no access to it as of a few minutes ago. Fortunately, before it expired, I changed the settings to have a minimum 80% battery level, so my car will simply charge to that every time I plug in unless I hit the timer override button. I don't have a Time of Use plan so it costs me the same no matter what time I charge, though most of the time I charge overnight or first thing in the morning. I avoid charging in the afternoons (especially during the summer) to ease my burden on the local grid.

Regarding pricing, here is the official price menu from VW: https://carnet.vw.com/web/vwcwp/pricing By the month is most expensive, the longer you prepay the cheaper it gets. I wish VW would continue with an abbreviated subscription for eGolf owners/lessees for less cost, I don't need the fancy features like speed monitoring.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:49 pm 

After three years it is a total cutoff. No app access, nothing. VW confirmed this and it did happen to me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:42 pm 

I think for me, the most economical subscription on a 2015 would be to set it and just fork over $17.99 for one month if the settings ever need to be changed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:11 pm 

bravo0123 wrote:
After three years it is a total cutoff. No app access, nothing. VW confirmed this and it did happen to me.

For what model year car?

I heard differently from Car Net for 2015s because Car Net is the only UI for certain EV functions which were moved into the car's infotainment systems in 2016 and beyond. I fear this is an ever changing answer depending on who you ask and on what day.

1983 Audi Ur Quattro "the garage queen" looks pretty and appreciates daily

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:10 pm 

I have a 2016, and the same thing happened to me at the end of 3 years. The mobile app is useless because access is cutoff, as if my account no longer exist. Car-Net support confirmed that. $200+/year to get the car-net going, not worth it to me.
I will walk to my car to check the SOC, pretty much the only feature I use and maybe start/stop charging.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:57 pm 

msvphoto wrote:
bravo0123 wrote:

For what model year car?

I heard differently from Car Net for 2015s because Car Net is the only UI for certain EV functions which were moved into the car's infotainment systems in 2016 and beyond. I fear this is an ever changing answer depending on who you ask and on what day.

This 2015 eGolf owner can confirm that is not the case. As I mentioned above, I lost all access on November 29, 40 months and 5 days after taking delivery.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:23 pm 

RonDawg wrote:
msvphoto wrote:
bravo0123 wrote:

For what model year car?

This 2015 eGolf owner can confirm that is not the case. As I mentioned above, I lost all access on November 29, 40 months and 5 days after taking delivery.

I, for sure, no longer have Car Net for my 2015 SEL. I don't know when I lost it, but I've had it since about Oct 10th, 2015, and it was gone on 12-2-18, after being gone 4 days out of town. Vanished. I can count on about 55 minutes now of charge time at home, at 7.2kWh at 240V, per 33% of the gauge used. I usually recharge with 25 to 40% left. 2 to 2.5 hrs, at home.