Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Is Car Net subscription mandatory for Mobile App usage?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:24 am
Posts: 742
Location: SoCal
My abbreviated (EV-specific functions only) CarNet subscription ran out today, and sure enough I have no access to it as of a few minutes ago. Fortunately, before it expired, I changed the settings to have a minimum 80% battery level, so my car will simply charge to that every time I plug in unless I hit the timer override button. I don't have a Time of Use plan so it costs me the same no matter what time I charge, though most of the time I charge overnight or first thing in the morning. I avoid charging in the afternoons (especially during the summer) to ease my burden on the local grid.

Regarding pricing, here is the official price menu from VW: https://carnet.vw.com/web/vwcwp/pricing By the month is most expensive, the longer you prepay the cheaper it gets. I wish VW would continue with an abbreviated subscription for eGolf owners/lessees for less cost, I don't need the fancy features like speed monitoring.

_________________
2015 eGolf SEL (originally leased, bought out lease)
former EV: 2012 Nissan Leaf SV (lease returned)
Range Extender: 2017 VW Golf Alltrack S 4Motion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Car Net subscription mandatory for Mobile App usage?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:35 pm
Posts: 10
After three years it is a total cutoff. No app access, nothing. VW confirmed this and it did happen to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Car Net subscription mandatory for Mobile App usage?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:16 pm
Posts: 107
I think for me, the most economical subscription on a 2015 would be to set it and just fork over $17.99 for one month if the settings ever need to be changed.

_________________
2016 e-Golf SE | Ebusbar BEV-H02A10 EVSE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Car Net subscription mandatory for Mobile App usage?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:30 pm
Posts: 95
bravo0123 wrote:
After three years it is a total cutoff. No app access, nothing. VW confirmed this and it did happen to me.


For what model year car?

I heard differently from Car Net for 2015s because Car Net is the only UI for certain EV functions which were moved into the car's infotainment systems in 2016 and beyond. I fear this is an ever changing answer depending on who you ask and on what day.

_________________
2015 e-Golf SEL my wife's daily, shared on weekends
2000 BMW 540iT my daily and our range extender
1986 Audi 4000 quattro "the cockroach" my alternate daily
1983 Audi Ur Quattro "the garage queen" looks pretty and appreciates daily


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Car Net subscription mandatory for Mobile App usage?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:41 am
Posts: 31
I have a 2016, and the same thing happened to me at the end of 3 years. The mobile app is useless because access is cutoff, as if my account no longer exist. Car-Net support confirmed that. $200+/year to get the car-net going, not worth it to me.
I will walk to my car to check the SOC, pretty much the only feature I use and maybe start/stop charging.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Car Net subscription mandatory for Mobile App usage?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:24 am
Posts: 742
Location: SoCal
msvphoto wrote:
bravo0123 wrote:
After three years it is a total cutoff. No app access, nothing. VW confirmed this and it did happen to me.


For what model year car?

I heard differently from Car Net for 2015s because Car Net is the only UI for certain EV functions which were moved into the car's infotainment systems in 2016 and beyond. I fear this is an ever changing answer depending on who you ask and on what day.


This 2015 eGolf owner can confirm that is not the case. As I mentioned above, I lost all access on November 29, 40 months and 5 days after taking delivery.

_________________
2015 eGolf SEL (originally leased, bought out lease)
former EV: 2012 Nissan Leaf SV (lease returned)
Range Extender: 2017 VW Golf Alltrack S 4Motion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Car Net subscription mandatory for Mobile App usage?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm
Posts: 2105
RonDawg wrote:
msvphoto wrote:
bravo0123 wrote:
After three years it is a total cutoff. No app access, nothing. VW confirmed this and it did happen to me.


For what model year car?

I heard differently from Car Net for 2015s because Car Net is the only UI for certain EV functions which were moved into the car's infotainment systems in 2016 and beyond. I fear this is an ever changing answer depending on who you ask and on what day.


This 2015 eGolf owner can confirm that is not the case. As I mentioned above, I lost all access on November 29, 40 months and 5 days after taking delivery.


I, for sure, no longer have Car Net for my 2015 SEL. I don't know when I lost it, but I've had it since about Oct 10th, 2015, and it was gone on 12-2-18, after being gone 4 days out of town. Vanished. I can count on about 55 minutes now of charge time at home, at 7.2kWh at 240V, per 33% of the gauge used. I usually recharge with 25 to 40% left. 2 to 2.5 hrs, at home.

_________________
2015 e-Golf SEL


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
© Volkswagen e-Golf Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group