Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Any e-golf owners in Arizona?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:41 pm 

Spektre wrote:
Image7801 wrote:
Hello everyone - Just procured a 2017 e-Golf SEL. The vehicle (as near as I can determine) was a VW corporate car (never actually titled), and has 5,500 miles on it. I’m very excited because I really wanted an SEL (Please spare me the “SEL is a waste of money” lecture :-) ), but couldn’t find one locally (until last week). I live in the North Valley and will be using it to commute to downtown Phoenix. I am getting a Level 2 charger (Siemens) installed at home this week, so I can actually start driving it to work. I’m going to hold off on participating in any heat-related discussions until I can see for myself this Summer how things progress. I am a little curious about how the A/C will affect battery life, and whether the heat pump technology improves the A/C energy use or just the heat.

Welcome to the club Image7801! I wouldn't have bought my 2015 if it hadn't been an SEL - I hate having that feeling of regret when settling for less than you wanted.

My experience has been that using the heat is much more of a drag on the battery than the AC. The last few mornings I've gone out and 'started' (LOL) the car, turned both seat heaters on full and the heat to high with the car still plugged in. It pulls ~7A @ 240V from the wall charger like that - seems like a lot of juice! The AC pulls only a fraction of that power.

When I was shopping for an EVSE, I looked at all the usual suspects and ended up with the 40A Deluxe OpenEVSE kit. I liked the style, the configurability, and the ability to repair/replace parts should anything ever fail in it.

See you on the roads!

I know what you mean about regret. Our 2015 LE was only tolerable because we knew it was going back at the end of the lease. No cruise control? Seriously? It is SO not an issue with the Model 3 we purchased.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:29 pm 

Yesterday I charged at a Blink station in downtown Phoenix (not something I’m going to do regularly (ridiculous $$), but wanted to try it out). Range meter said 166 miles (!) when I unplugged it, but ended up only actually driving 101, with 40 still showing. Got the Siemens Versacharge installed today. Took 3 1/2 hours to fully recharge; not bad. Now showing 147 mile range. My electrician used a 50a breaker and 6 gauge wire (he says people have told him it seems to charge more efficiently with the larger wiring). Not sure that really makes any difference, but what the heck.

Really loving this car! It drives great, is solid and quiet and the stereo is awesome (having Android Auto is the best part).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:10 am 

Image7801 wrote:
Yesterday I charged at a Blink station in downtown Phoenix (not something I’m going to do regularly (ridiculous $$), but wanted to try it out). Range meter said 166 miles (!) when I unplugged it, but ended up only actually driving 101, with 40 still showing. Got the Siemens Versacharge installed today. Took 3 1/2 hours to fully recharge; not bad. Now showing 147 mile range. My electrician used a 50a breaker and 6 gauge wire (he says people have told him it seems to charge more efficiently with the larger wiring). Not sure that really makes any difference, but what the heck.

Really loving this car! It drives great, is solid and quiet and the stereo is awesome (having Android Auto is the best part).

6 ga wire is the way to go with a 50 amp circuit breaker... less resistance, less voltage drop, less heat. Good plan on your electricians part. Changes in your elevation will screw with and adjust what your guess-O-Meter says you have left for range on your battery. If you drive up hill in elevation, last part of your drive, going home, it will reduce indicated remaining range. If you drive down hill, driving in to PHX, it will show increased range per recharge.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:46 am 

Just bought my 2016 SE with 15k miles on it a couple days ago. Couldn't believe how cheap these things are! Hopefully that 84 mile range will work out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7