Charger lock - make it stop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't recommend doing that. The proximity signal from the latch switch to the car is the signal that the car needs to reduce the current draw before either the contactor opens because the pilot line breaks as the plug is withdrawn, or the hot lines break open.

Either of those occurrences will cause arcing that will prematurely age or damage either the contactor of the hot pins in either the plug or the vehicle.

If you do have to use a plug with a broken latch, then at least push the button anyway so the vehicle gets a proximity transition.

A better course is to cut the wires to the plug lock solenoid.

TLDR: solution 1 solved my problem with a charger cable stuck in the car.

Before i start. i can only verify method 1, as this solved my problem. the other methods and what the mechanic told me about.
He was NOT a licensed mechanic from VW, but had done some courses in regards to these kinds of problems and other emergencies for VW cars.

i had my charger lock unresponsive today, and after searching the net for solutions i found nothing.
And so i called an emergency service car to help.
Here are the things we did that "might work" according the friendly mechanic.
nr 1 solved it for me.

1. Make the car loose connection to all active keys.
Lock the car and start walking.
I grabbed both my keys and walked while clicking the "lock" button on the car key every 10 meters.
When the car stopped responding (about 60 meters away (200 ish feet for you M'ericans)) i tried the other key as well, it did not respond.
i waited about 30 seconds and walked back, NOT PRESSING ANY KEYS until i was back within 1 meter of the car.
i pressed the unlock button and the car let go of the charging cable.

Other things to try:
2. Button mashing
Press the unlock button every second whilst also pressing the two buttons located next to the charger port. (the power-cord and power-cord with the watch beside it)
Press these buttons like crazy while firmly pulling and pushing the charging cable in and out of the charging port. (more than 1 person recommended)
This might activate the defective el-motor controlling the charger lock. (if that is indeed the problem)

3. Use the key blade
If you have a keyless car, the lock is located behind the cover 1 cm (1 inch) to the right of the door handle on the driver side.
Be careful when removing. Preferably use a plastic pryer and apply light force from all directions in turn.
Use the bade on the car key to unlock the car.

4. I dunno what this should be called.
Unlock the car.
Get in the driver seat.
Start the ignition. This is done by pushing the on/off button as normal but NOT holding in the brake pedal.
After the car is started, push the brake pedal down as far as it goes, hold for a few seconds and then release.
Turn off the ignition.
Lock the car.
Unlock the car.
The plug should not be loose from the lock.

Hope any of these solutions helped.

Good news. I made friends with a VW Master Mechanic and he gave me a VERY simple trick to unlock the charger if it ever gets stuck.

Carry a flathead screwdriver in your glove box. From whatever angle you can get the screw driver in above the plug, you can poke the pin in and it will release the lock

This is 100% safe and there is no risk of getting shocked or anything.

69ce772be895339c2a0910f29a7e9c55-full.jpg

Also to note, with the charger that comes with the car (at least my 2015 model) its a little tricky to reach the pin because of the extra large top part of the charger plug. But all of the public chargers I have encountered, I haven't had an issue with.

Back