Wireless CarPlay via Dongle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the SEL Discover Pro infotainments (both 8" Mk7 SEL and 9.2" Mk7.5 SEL) have the right hardware support for wireless CarPlay (wifi and the correct bluetooth), but VW did not implement it in software, and it appears that trying to activate it via OBD tools is not possible.

However, it was recently brought to my attention that there is a plug-in dongle that allegedly allows the built-in system to connect wirelessly to the iPhone https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T8NQJX1/

They have a cheaper version that only works with Android infotainment screens in the car, but this one specifically is supposed to work with the Golf.

The listing is a mess, as they have the cheaper android headunit version listed as a colour option rather than as an individual listing, so the reviews and comments are for the other version.

I'm more than a bit skeptical, but I ordered one (amazon has a $60 off coupon on it so it felt like it might be worth the risk) to see how it goes. I talked with the seller, and it sounds like any VW head unit with CarPlay should be supported so it sounds like its not using any of the internal wireless features built into the head unit.

It sounds like this is a brand new product, and the seller asked if I would be ok waiting a few days before they ship while they fix a firmware problem. So there's plenty of reasons to be doubtful, but worst case scenario I can return it through Amazon.

Has anyone encountered anything like this?

Edit: removing tracking crap from product link

You should mention that you are affiliated with Amazon when you are sharing a link. It is not fair to make money out of people naively clicking and not knowing that you will earn money. Also it is a violation of Amazon Associates Policy, good luck keeping your account.

bsalih, before attacking members of the forum, look at little more closely. Did you notice how the text of Sparklebeard's link doesn't have the tag? Have you ever noticed how some keywords automatically generate links? Can you see in your own post the very tag that you complain about?

The forum software adds these tags. I think you owe Sparklebeard an apology.

I'm not 100% sure whether bsalih is referring to the automatic tagging that happens when you type the word Amazon, or if they're talking about the tracking url crap that amazon puts on links when you share a link when you're browsing the site. I didn't think to delete it before posting the link on the forums here.

Either way, bsalih, sorry for making you feel that way. If it was the link I posted, then I've edited the link I posted to remove any kind of tracking stuff that might have been in the URL. It was literally just the url that gets copied to the clipboard when you hit the "share" button in the amazon app on iPhone. Forgive me for forgetting about all the tricks that corporations use to track us.

The extent of my affiliation with amazon is "I have a prime membership, and sometimes I order things and then they deliver them to me." The depth of my relationship with the seller of the item I linked is that I ordered one, they contacted me to ask what kind of car I had and if it already had carplay, I replied that it was a 2019 VW golf with CarPlay, and they replied asking if I would mind waiting a few days while they prepare firmware update, to which I replied, "sure, so long as it will work with my car.", to which they replied that it will work with any VW with CarPlay.

Note that this forum software appends its own tracking tag to amazon urls and to my knowledge there's no way to avoid that as a user without copying the url and pasting to the browser instead.

There's literally an affiliate link in your own message that was calling me out for affiliate links.

Anyway, I appreciate you alerting me to this, I don't particularly want amazon further tracking me via anyone clicking links I post anyway, so glad to remove it.

Thanks for dedicating your only post on these forums to me. I feel special.

Some AZZhat must feel really special looking around here to find men to have sex with, too.

I, of course, feel special being blocked.

When you rely upon machines and programmers for anything, you are bound to feel violated by their agenda, and their ethics, or lack thereof. That includes all car makers and Car-net too, as well as Apple products, Google and Android.

JoulesThief said:

My best JT impersonation as follows:

You shouldn't feel special because you weren't blocked - just ignored by some. Just stating the facts ma'am. If you can't deal with it, it's your problem. Next time, read RTFM on forum etiquette, then sit in the car, and read it again before posting.

2016golfse said:
JoulesThief said:

My best JT impersonation as follows:

You shouldn't feel special because you weren't blocked - just ignored by some. Just stating the facts ma'am. If you can't deal with it, it's your problem. Next time, read RTFM on forum etiquette, then sit in the car, and read it again before posting.

I realize the mentality of some electric car owners. They feel special, for sure. https://jalopnik.com/entitled-tesla-jackass-parks-on-strangers-lawn-steals-1836730035

srue said:
bsalih, before attacking members of the forum, look at little more closely. Did you notice how the text of Sparklebeard's link doesn't have the tag? Have you ever noticed how some keywords automatically generate links? Can you see in your own post the very tag that you complain about?

The forum software adds these tags. I think you owe Sparklebeard an apology.

I have no problem in apologizing. Sparklebeard; if the forum is taggimg these links, I apologize for blaming you.

Sparklebeard said:
I'm not 100% sure whether bsalih is referring to the automatic tagging that happens when you type the word Amazon, or if they're talking about the tracking url crap that amazon puts on links when you share a link when you're browsing the site. I didn't think to delete it before posting the link on the forums here.

Either way, bsalih, sorry for making you feel that way. If it was the link I posted, then I've edited the link I posted to remove any kind of tracking stuff that might have been in the URL. It was literally just the url that gets copied to the clipboard when you hit the "share" button in the amazon app on iPhone. Forgive me for forgetting about all the tricks that corporations use to track us.

The extent of my affiliation with amazon is "I have a prime membership, and sometimes I order things and then they deliver them to me." The depth of my relationship with the seller of the item I linked is that I ordered one, they contacted me to ask what kind of car I had and if it already had carplay, I replied that it was a 2019 VW golf with CarPlay, and they replied asking if I would mind waiting a few days while they prepare firmware update, to which I replied, "sure, so long as it will work with my car.", to which they replied that it will work with any VW with CarPlay.

Note that this forum software appends its own tracking tag to amazon urls and to my knowledge there's no way to avoid that as a user without copying the url and pasting to the browser instead.

There's literally an affiliate link in your own message that was calling me out for affiliate links.

Anyway, I appreciate you alerting me to this, I don't particularly want amazon further tracking me via anyone clicking links I post anyway, so glad to remove it.

Thanks for dedicating your only post on these forums to me. I feel special.

My first three posts are for you:), last two of them are about apologizing since you stated that it is the forum who create these unfair business. Sorry if the links you shared were replaced by the forum without your knowledge.

In case you guys do not know; if you click an affiliation link, for the next 24 hours, anything you purchase will help the affiliater earn 5-10% of selling price. Even if I am purchasing a toothbrush or a macbook pro, percentage of that goes to this affiliater. I think it would be fair for people to know. That is what Amazon requires under their policy rules and that is what people deserve to know.

Please have no hard feelings for me, and thanks for being polite and kind in your reply.

Received this message from the seller today

“ friend,
maybe you need to cancel the order at the moment, as many buyer feedback that it can not work well one the VW.
we now are solving this problem, when we fix it , you can buy it again from us, ok ? ”

THE DREAM IS DEAD

Sparklebeard,

Did you cancel? I am wondering if it worked. I found another seller of the same item on e-bay and they said it should work on all VW cars, but they also mentioned that they haven't tested it on e-Golfs. I think it should work fine since e-Golfs are not different from other VW cars equipped with same headunit and Carplay

Bump.

Curious to know if anyone has had success with finding a BT <-> Carplay connection solution?

Based on a brief search, it appears there are a few options out there. There is the Carlinkit product listed early in this thread. There is also a CPLAY2air product that appears to be a bit more legit, and it has has a huge thread on MacRumors. I'm not sure what other products might be out there as I just started this investigation. (I've only had my car since Sunday!)

https://carplay2air.com
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/carplay-adapter-to-convert-to-wireless-carplay.2193978/page-56

Thanks.

tlovejr said:
Bump.

Curious to know if anyone has had success with finding a BT <-> Carplay connection solution?

Based on a brief search, it appears there are a few options out there. There is the Carlinkit product listed early in this thread. There is also a CPLAY2air product that appears to be a bit more legit, and it has has a huge thread on MacRumors. I'm not sure what other products might be out there as I just started this investigation. (I've only had my car since Sunday!)

https://carplay2air.com
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/carplay-adapter-to-convert-to-wireless-carplay.2193978/page-56

Thanks.

There is one user on vwvortex who has ordered CPLAY2AIR dongle for his GTI (https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9378837-Wireless-CarPlay-option). Unfortunately, the order has been delayed due to the virus outbreak.

Back