Make duplicate key without receiver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markn80

Just bought a 2019 e-golf. I have a couple of questions about the keys. When I go to the beach, I usually don’t leave anything on the beach. I would carry my car keys in my wetsuit or board shorts and go into the ocean with it. Is it possible to duplicate a plain ol’ key without the remote? I was thinking about hiding the Remote somewhere in the car. If the remote was left inside the car, is it possible for anyone to unlock the car from the outside?

If you are referring to the key fob as the "remote", then you don't want to leave the fob in the car because then anyone can get into your car very very easily - it's the same as having the key in your pocket or handbag - because the fob sends a wireless signal to the car so you can open it. Depending on how close you hide the fob to the transceiver pad on the steering column, someone will also be able to drive the car (not sure how close the fob needs to be to the transceiver pad to turn on the car). If you put the key fob in a Faraday cage and then hide in the car, neither of these actions will be possible , because you will have blocked the wireless signal.

FWIW I once left the key inside the car and when I tried to lock the door it wouldn't. No warning, no tone, nothing. Thought "what the heck? my new car's acting up?" Ends up it won't let me lock it if the key fob is inside. Give it a try.

Thanks everyone. I might just find a waterproof case and put the fob in it and bring it along with me into the ocean.

markn80 said:
Thanks everyone. I might just find a waterproof case and put the fob in it and bring it along with me into the ocean.

I'd find out first what the cost is for a replacement Key Fob, before you even think of taking that fob into the salty brine, even with a waterproof case. Find a place to store it somewhere on the shore, instead.

I wouldn't trust a waterproof case and I sure wouldn't leave it on the beach just about anywhere I've ever surfed. With my '15 Passat I got a regular key made, a "Surfer's Key", from http://sidewinderkey.com, so I can lock the fob in the car and take the regular key out in the water. I don't know if this works with KESSY, however, since I've never had to take the eGolf surfing. Try leaving one of your fobs in the car, and then see if you can lock the car with the regular key in the door with your other fob. If that doesn't work, try putting the fob in the car in a Faraday cage, and if that still doesn't work try popping the battery out of the other key before you try to lock the door manually. If that works, then you should be able to get a surfer's key from Sidewinder. The guy there will probably know if this will work regardless, you can just email him.

JoulesThief said:
markn80 said:

I'd find out first what the cost is for a replacement Key Fob, before you even think of taking that fob into the salty brine, even with a waterproof case. Find a place to store it somewhere on the shore, instead.

I remember reading somewhere here, that someone got charged $280 to program a keyfob. And it was on the internet, so it must be true /sarcasm

My eGolf only came with one. So, yeah.

Ihopethisworks said:
JoulesThief said:
markn80 said:

I remember reading somewhere here, that someone got charged $280 to program a keyfob. And it was on the internet, so it must be true /sarcasm

My eGolf only came with one. So, yeah.

Call your local VW parts / service department, and ask for a quote. Then you'll know for certain. I would get a replacement made up, pronto. If you break or lose that one keyfob, then you're really in a mess.

Back