Radio always comes on with startup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cove3

There doesn't seem to be an on off for the radio. It always starts playing when I turn on the car and the only way to turn it off is to turn the volume down to where you can't hear it. There's no "click" for turning it permanently off

Ron

cove3 said:
There doesn't seem to be an on off for the radio. It always starts playing when I turn on the car and the only way to turn it off is to turn the volume down to where you can't hear it. There's no "click" for turning it permanently off

Ron

Ron
Push the volume button in.

Barry

pushing the volume button in will shut off the entire infotainment system so you can't see the car stats as well. my workaround has just been to press the media button.

Right. I lose the trip data screen which always comes on when I start the car because its the only place I can see the miles driven on the current trip. The dash screen, which I rely on for miles/kwh and miles remaining doesn't show trip miles, although you would think it would

I have found that if I turn the volume way down, it doesn't retains that setting the next time I start the car while still showing the trip screen but instead plays at a low volume, so every time I start the car I have to turn the volume down. It's just that it's a little unsettling having the radio lurking in the background when I don't want it at all, as I rarely listen to the radio. There should be an on off click where you dial the volume to turn it off

Ron

The dash screen can show the "miles since start". Try pushing either the "up" and "down" arrows or the "OK" button on the right side of the steering wheel to cycle through things.

This is correct. However, when you have one of the 3 displays set eg start or since charge or extended and have that display also set on the entertainment screen, what you can bring up with the two arrow toggles below the OK on the right hand side is either what's already showing eg range and miles/khw, or else relatively unimportant data such as avg speed etc EXCEPT for the miles traveled which is important. It seems being an important number, it should show on the display along with range and miles/khw without having to fumble with the toggles to bring it up, because it's distracting and once you see the miles traveled, you have to get back to original display

What I'm doing now is glancing at the entertainment screen which does have the number, but I shouldn't have to have that display active just to see the miles traveled. It should be on the main display with no need to toggle

Ron

cove3 said:

Ron

Hey Ron,

What you can do is go to radio and click the Settings button on the screen. In there where you can adjust the audio (Bass Treble...) there is a max start up volume setting. Turn this as low as possible. I set mine to 8. What happens is the car will default to this setting. See if you can set it to zero. I don't have my car today or I would test.

In that screen you can set Max Start up (this is why it defaults for you) Phone Default volume and Nav Default Volume.

Hi, I know it is an old topic, but I'd like to know if you solved the issue and how. After updating my infotainment FW on my Golf7 TDI I have the same problem. I also use the infotainment screen to check always data and average consumption, time and mileage, but it is very annoying turning off the radio at every startup!

No, there appears no way to avoid it. It doesn't bother me, but if my wife is with me, I have to remember to turn it down or else my wife who has super hearing will do it every time. It looks like there's no way to turn actually turn it off. It looks like all I'm doing is turning the volume down

Ron

cove3 said:
No, there appears no way to avoid it. It doesn't bother me, but if my wife is with me, I have to remember to turn it down or else my wife who has super hearing will do it every time. It looks like there's no way to turn actually turn it off. It looks like all I'm doing is turning the volume down

Ron

Annoying, yes... is there an i3 BMW in your future instead? Or other than this minor PIA afterthought, is the e-Golf serviceable for 99% of the functions you bought it for? Yes, I too have the 2015 SEL, but for some reason, my radio does not come on when I start up. 912XXX vin number FWIW.

I keep mine on the media function rather than radio, so the auto-sound issue isn't really a problem. If my phone's bluetooth is off, or no playlist is active, there's no sound when the car starts.

My wife leaves it on the XM Sat band and it always comes up with her last station, so she's happy. I always use the Media function for Bluetooth streaming, so I'm not bothered either by any of the e-Golf audio anomalies.

cove3 said:

Ron

Thanks Ron for you answer! My car has still warranty, I'll call today the car dealer to have the problem solved at firmware level. I brought him the car back last week because of some minor issues with the infotainment system; one of these was the radio turning on randomly at startup. Now it turns on every time I turn the key. :evil:

cove3 said:
Right. I lose the trip data screen which always comes on when I start the car because its the only place I can see the miles driven on the current trip. The dash screen, which I rely on for miles/kwh and miles remaining doesn't show trip miles, although you would think it would

I have found that if I turn the volume way down, it doesn't retains that setting the next time I start the car while still showing the trip screen but instead plays at a low volume, so every time I start the car I have to turn the volume down. It's just that it's a little unsettling having the radio lurking in the background when I don't want it at all, as I rarely listen to the radio. There should be an on off click where you dial the volume to turn it off

Ron
My guess is that this is an inherent problem with modern software-controlled radios and steering wheel controls.
The rotary control that appears to control volume is not like the old variable resistor volume controls on transistor radios. It's just a rotary dial with a counter on the back of it. By moving the on/off switch to a push button in line with the axis of the knob, there's no min or max in the control now, just plus and minus from where it is when you start rotating. That way the plus and minus buttons (and mute) on the steering wheel can adjust the volume without messing up the relative position of the dial control. Does anyone remember the home amps that had a motorized volume control that could be adjusted from the remote? I assume they were still variable resistors (but it may have been just for show).
By having an infinitely rotating dial and software interpretation of what that means for volume, any part of the system can have its own default volume, like turn by turn instructions etc. Manufacturers of these all in one systems see that as a benefit which outweighs the edge case of the system being on but making no sound.

GadgetGav said:
cove3 said:

Ron
My guess is that this is an inherent problem with modern software-controlled radios and steering wheel controls.
The rotary control that appears to control volume is not like the old variable resistor volume controls on transistor radios. It's just a rotary dial with a counter on the back of it. By moving the on/off switch to a push button in line with the axis of the knob, there's no min or max in the control now, just plus and minus from where it is when you start rotating. That way the plus and minus buttons (and mute) on the steering wheel can adjust the volume without messing up the relative position of the dial control. Does anyone remember the home amps that had a motorized volume control that could be adjusted from the remote? I assume they were still variable resistors (but it may have been just for show).
By having an infinitely rotating dial and software interpretation of what that means for volume, any part of the system can have its own default volume, like turn by turn instructions etc. Manufacturers of these all in one systems see that as a benefit which outweighs the edge case of the system being on but making no sound.

no, I 'd say the anti bounce circuitry needed by those encoders used to control volume in modern radios/navi systems are normally firmware controlled and works with no issues since decades. It was a known issue at the beginning of the nineties but now every electronic engineer knows how to deal with it at FW level. remember, nowadays everything is already digital is preferable to something which is analog and must be converted to be understood from a microcontroller. An encoder is basically digital, a variable resistor is not.
My problem seems a real firmware bug. When I leave the infotainment system on listening an MP3 and I turn off the car, at the next startup the infotainment comes back to radio and quite loudly. This happens if I wait 3-4 minutes after power down/up. If I power down with radio on MUTE and then after 30 seconds turn the key one time more the mute options is still on and do not hear anything (as it is supposed to work)
By the way the dealer told me yesterday that they speak with the guys in Wolfsburg trying to obtain a fix for my system, but the repairman who took a look to the issue told me that they have a huge amount of problem with those infotainment systems and basically every 3 days there is a firmware update to solve stupid issues :roll:

emanuele83 said:
no, I 'd say the anti bounce circuitry needed by those encoders used to control volume in modern radios/navi systems are normally firmware controlled and works with no issues since decades. It was a known issue at the beginning of the nineties but now every electronic engineer knows how to deal with it at FW level. remember, nowadays everything is already digital is preferable to something which is analog and must be converted to be understood from a microcontroller. An encoder is basically digital, a variable resistor is not.
My problem seems a real firmware bug. When I leave the infotainment system on listening an MP3 and I turn off the car, at the next startup the infotainment comes back to radio and quite loudly. This happens if I wait 3-4 minutes after power down/up. If I power down with radio on MUTE and then after 30 seconds turn the key one time more the mute options is still on and do not hear anything (as it is supposed to work)
By the way the dealer told me yesterday that they speak with the guys in Wolfsburg trying to obtain a fix for my system, but the repairman who took a look to the issue told me that they have a huge amount of problem with those infotainment systems and basically every 3 days there is a firmware update to solve stupid issues :roll:
Oh yes, that's a different issue - I was quoting the OP.
I have issues like that too. Sometimes when I switch sources, the volume goes to zero and there's not a good way to tell. If you press the volume control on the steering wheel the center display shows a tiny bar for volume at the top, but it's about 1 pixel wide and hard to see when you're looking at the road. Clearly a problem with the infotainment system, but not bad enough for me to make a trip to the dealer, because as you said, there's probably another fix coming along soon. :roll:

Back