Where to fast charge in N Los Angeles County

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very close to perhaps getting into an e-Golf, and was wondering, as a total Newbie, areas that I can fast charge at in and around the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles area, the closer to Mission Hills, the better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TDINutz said:
I am very close to perhaps getting into an e-Golf, and was wondering, as a total Newbie, areas that I can fast charge at in and around the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles area, the closer to Mission Hills, the better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Take a look at Plugshare.com and use the "SAE Combo DCFC" filter under "More Options" on the legend dialog.

That's it, how are you supposed to quick charge an E-golf in a city with 4 million people, of which the county it is in has 10 million people. Infrastructure is lacking in Los Angeles, one will be tethered to home with one of these cars. What's up with the Green highway from San Diego to Seattle, via I-5, where are the chargers for the Green Highway?

Why do you need to quick charge? The motive battery in the e-Golf is so small that a level 2 can charge it from half to full in under 2 hours, well under 2 hours to 80% which is the maximum a quick charger can do. What are your planned driving habits going to be with an e-Golf?

The most important thing to consider before buying an electric car is where you will charge every day. If you cannot be guaranteed a place to plug in every night at home or every day at work, I don't recommend getting one. Grubbing for electrons at public chargers on a regular basis is really a drag. If you have a convenient place to charge every day, then fast chargers near your home don't matter. It's the ones that are 50-100 miles away from home in the directions that you generally travel that matter the most. The e-Golf is not a long distance car. Even with perfectly ideal placement and availability of fast chargers along your route, doing a 30 minute stop every 75 miles on a 400 mile trip would be a drag. However, a trip from North LA County to San Diego. No problem. Just stop once at the Shops at Mission Viejo, grab a bite to eat at the mall, then drive the rest of the way to San Diego. One fast charge, no problem.

miimura said:
The most important thing to consider before buying an electric car is where you will charge every day. If you cannot be guaranteed a place to plug in every night at home or every day at work, I don't recommend getting one. Grubbing for electrons at public chargers on a regular basis is really a drag. If you have a convenient place to charge every day, then fast chargers near your home don't matter. It's the ones that are 50-100 miles away from home in the directions that you generally travel that matter the most. The e-Golf is not a long distance car. Even with perfectly ideal placement and availability of fast chargers along your route, doing a 30 minute stop every 75 miles on a 400 mile trip would be a drag. However, a trip from North LA County to San Diego. No problem. Just stop once at the Shops at Mission Viejo, grab a bite to eat at the mall, then drive the rest of the way to San Diego. One fast charge, no problem.

I am thinking more along the lines of N. SFV to La Quinta, down by Palm Springs as a need. No worries, though I have a few sipping TDI's for longer drives, if need be. Just want to have the option.

And one day, I'd like to have the option to spend an overnight in Lone Pine, quick charge in Bishop, and make the 3000 foot climb up to Mammoth Lakes. Doable in a Tesla, but the reach from Mojave to Lone Pine... might be a 55 mph cruise to keep it in range. Hit an RV park like Boulder Creek RV park with a portable 4-50 plug in a juice box, or Clipper Creek 40 amp unit.

Nightly charging would not be a problem... and no charging at work, retired...

Had VW gone with the CHAdeMO standard used on the Leaf, iMiEV, Soul EV, etc. it would have access to a much larger network. But VW chose to go with the CCS standard instead and right now there aren't as many of those. That said, there are FAR more CCS units in the greater LA area today, than CHAdeMO units 3 years ago when I first got my Leaf.

TDINutz said:
And one day, I'd like to have the option to spend an overnight in Lone Pine, quick charge in Bishop, and make the 3000 foot climb up to Mammoth Lakes. Doable in a Tesla, but the reach from Mojave to Lone Pine... might be a 55 mph cruise to keep it in range. Hit an RV park like Boulder Creek RV park with a portable 4-50 plug in a juice box, or Clipper Creek 40 amp unit.

In the future, that may be possible. But in the meantime the only manufacturer that is actively marketing a pure battery electric vehicle as a long distance road trip car is Tesla. And they're spending a lot of their own money to make that a possibility.

For those without the money to acquire a Tesla, a BEV is pretty much a commuter car. A few folks have been able to use a BEV as their only car, but they live in areas with easy access to public transit or can easily borrow/rent an ICEV.

Back