Car not charging at public stations that work for other cars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REM

After 4 months of trouble-free charging with my 2015 SEL, I've been unable to charge at a number of public chargers on a couple occasions this past week. When I insert the plug the car fails to lock the charge handle, so it doesn't start charging. The light stays yellow. The first time was at a ChargePoint station. Two handles failed to lock, the third (same style) locked and the car started charging. A Volt then pulled-in and successfully charged using the handle that I couldn't get to work. Then today I couldn't charge using Porsche and E-Tron charge stations at a dealer. Again, the handle failed to lock, so the car wouldn't start charging and other cars were able to charge. Each time the charge station recognized my car was plugged-in and stated it was ready to charge but the yellow light on my e-Golf never turned green and the car failed to lock the handle. Inspecting the charge handles, I notice that the rubber ring inside the connector on the handle wasn't completely flat while the charge stations that work are (look directly at the part that plugs into the car and you'll see a rubber circle). My car is charging successfully in my garage right now, but I cannot help but notice that every other car has no problem with the handles that fail to charge my car, even if the rubber ring is the problem. This is concerning. Anyone else experience anything like this?

REM said:
After 4 months of trouble-free charging with my 2015 SEL, I've been unable to charge at a number of public chargers on a couple occasions this past week. When I insert the plug the car fails to lock the charge handle, so it doesn't start charging. The light stays yellow. The first time was at a ChargePoint station. Two handles failed to lock, the third (same style) locked and the car started charging. A Volt then pulled-in and successfully charged using the handle that I couldn't get to work. Then today I couldn't charge using Porsche and E-Tron charge stations at a dealer. Again, the handle failed to lock, so the car wouldn't start charging and other cars were able to charge. Each time the charge station recognized my car was plugged-in and stated it was ready to charge but the yellow light on my e-Golf never turned green and the car failed to lock the handle. Inspecting the charge handles, I notice that the rubber ring inside the connector on the handle wasn't completely flat while the charge stations that work are (look directly at the part that plugs into the car and you'll see a rubber circle). My car is charging successfully in my garage right now, but I cannot help but notice that every other car has no problem with the handles that fail to charge my car, even if the rubber ring is the problem. This is concerning. Anyone else experience anything like this?

How many miles on your e-Golf at this point in mileage and time? I'd start taking video's of your car doing it, maybe demonstrate it at a local VW dealership, if it will also not lock and charge on their J-1772 handle too. They can't and won't take your word for it, unless you have videos to show what is not happening, or it doesn't recharge on their station also.

I'd also like to note that public handles and public charge stations receive tremendous amounts of abuse. Many have cords all twisted up just like women do with the cords on their hair dryers. Quite stressful to the cord, and damaging.

JoulesThief said:
REM said:

How many miles on your e-Golf at this point in mileage and time? I'd start taking video's of your car doing it, maybe demonstrate it at a local VW dealership, if it will also not lock and charge on their J-1772 handle too. They can't and won't take your word for it, unless you have videos to show what is not happening, or it doesn't recharge on their station also.

I'd also like to note that public handles and public charge stations receive tremendous amounts of abuse. Many have cords all twisted up just like women do with the cords on their hair dryers. Quite stressful to the cord, and damaging.

I have just over 3,000 miles on the car. Good idea on the video. I also agree that public charge stations take a lot of abuse, which is what I was thinking when I couldn't get a couple to work the first time, especially when I noticed the rubber not sitting flat and the handle not clicking. I began to wonder, though, when a Volt plugged-in and it worked. The two I tried today were at a Porsche/Audi dealership that I am sure do not get much use; the cord on one was neatly coiled with velcro straps holding it together as if it had never been used before (they have five charge stations at a dealership that may have two plug-in cars at any given time). None of the handles clicked when I plugged in, so I'm wondering if the e-Golf has less tolerance for a rubber seal that isn't perfectly flat on a cold day than other cars (it was -2 today and, just like before, a couple Volts successfully charged while I was there). That's concerning if I ever NEED to charge at a public charger. But if others haven't experienced this, I assume it's my car not a broader e-Golf thing.

REM said:
JoulesThief said:
REM said:

I have just over 3,000 miles on the car. Good idea on the video. I also agree that public charge stations take a lot of abuse, which is what I was thinking when I couldn't get a couple to work the first time, especially when I noticed the rubber not sitting flat and the handle not clicking. I began to wonder, though, when a Volt plugged-in and it worked. The two I tried today were at a Porsche/Audi dealership that I am sure do not get much use; the cord on one was neatly coiled with velcro straps holding it together as if it had never been used before (they have five charge stations at a dealership that may have two plug-in cars at any given time). None of the handles clicked when I plugged in, so I'm wondering if the e-Golf has less tolerance for a rubber seal that isn't perfectly flat on a cold day than other cars (it was -2 today and, just like before, a couple Volts successfully charged while I was there). That's concerning if I ever NEED to charge at a public charger. But if others haven't experienced this, I assume it's my car not a broader e-Golf thing.

I am thinking that the rubber O ring is not as pliable at that -2 F temperature, so you'll need to be damn firm in inserting the J-1772 handle all the way in. That's just an educated guess however. What's the temperature in your garage when you recharge? Also, is moisture collecting inside the plug, bits of snow or moisture, that perhaps might freeze into ice with temperatures below 32F, icing the J-1772 plug and preventing it from seating fully? Are the charge handles stored in a snow and moisture free holder or environment? Are they kept clean and dry? Is condensation a problem near or due to high levels of humidity condensating and freezing on or in the handle?

Just to add a data point here: I plugged in my 2015 SEL (1,350 miles on the odometer) at 5 below zero this morning on my home charger (Leviton unit) with no problems - nor have I encountered any problems at all charging at home or at public stations since I got it. My e-Golf is an outside cat - it does not have a garage to sleep in. The temperature was 11 below zero first thing this morning.

The factory level one charger has a stiffer seal ring, getting it to click at current negative temps can be challenging.

Oh yea keep an eye on the temps, lithium batteries can freeze at -15F. It will take a while, but once frozen you have to tow it to someplace heated to thaw. Supposedly merely freezing won't damage the pack, but trying to draw power when frozen won't work, and may damage things. Many packs have built in heaters to keep this from happening and the draw down the battery to keep it warm enough. I don't know if VW did this. If they do, and you are going to leave it for more than a day or two, I would leave the charger on when parked.

It was -7F when I checked at 9 am today.

This is getting a little off-topic, but... if I believe the manual, it would take much more than a few hours below zero to damage the battery, even if - as it did this morning - the temperature drops to 11 below:

Should the vehicle be parked for longer than 2 days at temperatures of below - 13°F (-25°C), the high-voltage battery could freeze and not be able to provide energy to the electric motor. Temperatures colder than - 13°F (-25°C) can cause the battery to freeze even faster. The battery will start working again, once it warms up. The battery can be warmed up when the outside temperature rises or when the vehicle is garaged appropriately. The battery will also warm up when being used (switching on the air conditioner, the heater or by driving the vehicle). Should you have to park your vehicle at very low temperatures for longer than 1 day, make sure that the high-voltage battery does not freeze by parking the vehicle in a garage that is heated or protected from the outside temperature.

You are not along with this. I have exactly the same problem - I can't use all charging station.

I'm in SoCal so I doubt that temperature is the factor. This happen just today with about 70F and yesterday, with about 85F. I can put charger in, it clicked and I hear that car tries to start charger session (some specific noise from the front passenger area) but it not started.

Tried to complain to the dealer but was told - it's fine here... Will probably do video thing. I did try at my work with mixed success and at nearby metro station (2 stations OK and 2 doesn't start) as well as nearby mall (was not able to start any of 3 available chargers).

vetaldj said:
You are not along with this. I have exactly the same problem - I can't use all charging station.

I'm in SoCal so I doubt that temperature is the factor. This happen just today with about 70F and yesterday, with about 85F. I can put charger in, it clicked and I hear that car tries to start charger session (some specific noise from the front passenger area) but it not started.

Tried to complain to the dealer but was told - it's fine here... Will probably do video thing. I did try at my work with mixed success and at nearby metro station (2 stations OK and 2 doesn't start) as well as nearby mall (was not able to start any of 3 available chargers).
Since you didn't mention that you pushed the 'immediate button'
Did you?

Sometimes if you have a schedule set up for night charging, it won't daytime charge until you push it.

I don't have any schedule set up as I don't have a charger at home, I don't even have plug in our garage as I live in apartment.

So, no, I did not push any buttons. How it works - I put charger in, and lock the car. If everything is OK charging starts as soon as car and charging station understand each other.

I do this since I bought this car year ago, did not change anything in the way how I charge.

For me problem started when they changed charging plugs at my work so I was blaming that fact but sometime it works, sometimes is not. I can't find some conditions when it doesn't work or when it works always. Like yesterday I tried 2 chargers at my work, lets call them 1 and 2. So I was playing with 1 and was able to lock it in but in 10 min it just stop. I restart it via app and in like 10 -15 min it stops again. I came to my car and replaced charger 1 with charger 2. No issues, fully charged, locked from the first time.

Today, I came and I had same chargers 1 and 2. I started with charger 2 as I had success with it yesterday, no go today. Car is not locking it. Put charger 1 and after few mins it works and no issues till full charge. Day before yesterday both chargers were fine from first attempt.

We have temp here in SoCal from 70 to 90F for last 3 days.

vetaldj said:
I don't have any schedule set up as I don't have a charger at home, I don't even have plug in our garage as I live in apartment.

So, no, I did not push any buttons. How it works - I put charger in, and lock the car. If everything is OK charging starts as soon as car and charging station understand each other.

I do this since I bought this car year ago, did not change anything in the way how I charge.

For me problem started when they changed charging plugs at my work so I was blaming that fact but sometime it works, sometimes is not. I can't find some conditions when it doesn't work or when it works always. Like yesterday I tried 2 chargers at my work, lets call them 1 and 2. So I was playing with 1 and was able to lock it in but in 10 min it just stop. I restart it via app and in like 10 -15 min it stops again. I came to my car and replaced charger 1 with charger 2. No issues, fully charged, locked from the first time.

Today, I came and I had same chargers 1 and 2. I started with charger 2 as I had success with it yesterday, no go today. Car is not locking it. Put charger 1 and after few mins it works and no issues till full charge. Day before yesterday both chargers were fine from first attempt.

We have temp here in SoCal from 70 to 90F for last 3 days.
I would think then that your car's charging port is full of junk or is defective.

Definitely not full of junk as it perfectly clean and working for some stations, like today, station 3 at my work - worked right away and no issue.

Defective - different story, just need to prove it to my dealer. Will try to make a case with them as it's very hard to get spot for me at work and when I do that having issues with charges makes me not very happy.

vetaldj said:
Definitely not full of junk as it perfectly clean and working for some stations, like today, station 3 at my work - worked right away and no issue.

Defective - different story, just need to prove it to my dealer. Will try to make a case with them as it's very hard to get spot for me at work and when I do that having issues with charges makes me not very happy.
Can you pull out your 110 charger and try it over the next few days to make sure it is your port?

If I lived in an apartment, I don't think I'd buy an e-Golf for my transportation needs... the logistics involved with recharging just make it too messy and too inconvenient, when you can't and don't own an outlet.

My wall charger works always, so that's why I not bugging dealer too much with this and I'm more looking into those chargers.

I already investigated all those that I have issues with and I tend to believe that problem is with that o-ring inside. If it's nice and fit - no problem. If it's missing or not in original place that's where all starts.

About living in apartment and e-Golf. I have charger at complex, right next to my place but I use it very rarely since it's on expensive side. I have access to chargers at work and nearby train station. I did not have any issue for last year to get full charge, only question for me if this will be free, cheap ($1/h at train station) or expensive ($2/h at my apartment complex). I even see some healthy benefits - I tend to walk more now to get free charger :) So I'm totally fine and do not feel any discomfort about no having my own charger in garage. Another story that when I have get spot at work and charger fails on me, that what makes me feel bad (and still, I can go 2 min away and get charge anyway).

Back