Key Fob Battery Life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also had the message about low battery in key fob...at around 7000 miles back in April 2016 I think

I bought my car in January 2004. I've changed the battery once on the fob that I use, and the spare one from Locksmith still has the original battery, and it still works.Local retailer sells them for 50 cents. I have ten spares. I'm good for 100 years.

I just started getting the message with a little over 12,000 miles @ 10 months.

:idea: No one discussed what to do when the key battery is depleted, you can simply hold the key up next to the steering wheel base (where older keys used to plug in), and you can still start the car up in case your key-battery finally gives out.

This just started on my 10 month old key fob. I ignored it for a week but the notification kept coming.
When I opened the key I found a 2025 type battery which I did not have. But I did have ample of the more common 2032 batteries which are about a millimeter or 0.04" thicker.
Diameter is identical but it did not lock into place under a small tab like the old battery. Anyway, I could close the key fob lid with a little persuasion. Maybe the bigger battery lasts a little longer....

Slomove said:
This just started on my 10 month old key fob. I ignored it for a week but the notification kept coming.
When I opened the key I found a 2025 type battery which I did not have. But I did have ample of the more common 2032 batteries which are about a millimeter or 0.04" thicker.
Diameter is identical but it did not lock into place under a small tab like the old battery. Anyway, I could close the key fob lid with a little persuasion. Maybe the bigger battery lasts a little longer....

Or maybe you just destroyed a $225+ key fob.

Just got this message @ 9500 miles (9 months) for 2016 eGolf! Thought it was strange to get this so I popped open the FOB and tested voltage with multimeter...:(

My FOB's 3V Panasonic battery registered 2.6V...arrgh. With others posting 6 to 12 months for their FOB - this seems more like a car software issue than a "dead" battery. I am going to replace it now to get rid of annoying warning message but will take to dealer if it warns again in 6 months.

I agree that it seems more like the car. When the car showed the message with the first fob, I tried the second (with the first well out of range) and the same message appeared. What is the likelihood that both batteries drop through the threshold within hours of each other after 14 months? They both have in excess of 3.00 volts. Reading other posts I should be pleased that I got 14 months of trouble free motoring :!:

These batteries cost less than 50 cents/ea when bought in packs of 12 and are easy to swap. For the convenience KESSY offers, it doesn't seem like big deal to me.

Also, you can store the key away from the car to preserve battery life. Otherwise they're "shaking hands" over and over. Not sure if this affects just the car's 12v battery or both the car and keyfob.

Verkehr said:
Also, you can store the key away from the car to preserve battery life. Otherwise they're "shaking hands" over and over. Not sure if this affects just the car's 12v battery or both the car and keyfob.

I got the message after 11 months and 8,000 miles . . .

but I usually leave the key in the car, never occurred to me that might be a problem.

Jaysher said:
Verkehr said:

I got the message after 11 months and 8,000 miles . . .

but I usually leave the key in the car, never occurred to me that might be a problem.

Meh. My message showed up after about 13 months and I keep the key well out of range of the car. I don't think proximity has anything to do with it.

FWIW I'm at 15 months with my car and the battery in the fob is still going strong. The ones on my Leaf lasted 18 months each.

Hi, just joined to add my tuppence worth. The key I started off with on my 2012 Golf lasted the three years I kept the car.
On the 2015 Golf I had to replace the key after 15 months or approx. 4 thousand miles. Would it be because we have to press button twice to open passenger door?? ;)

jkm49 said:
Hi, just joined to add my tuppence worth. The key I started off with on my 2012 Golf lasted the three years I kept the car.
On the 2015 Golf I had to replace the key after 15 months or approx. 4 thousand miles. Would it be because we have to press button twice to open passenger door?? ;)

You can change that setting to have one press unlock everything.

RonDawg said:
FWIW I'm at 15 months with my car and the battery in the fob is still going strong. The ones on my Leaf lasted 18 months each.

OK I didn't quite make it to 18 months like I did with the Leaf. At just shy of 17 months I am getting the warning. My car only has 9900 miles at this point. I had a spare CR2025 battery (from a two-pack) laying in a drawer so I used that.

BTW for people who are reluctant to do this themselves because they're afraid of damaging an expensive key fob, here's the YouTube video that I watched that shows how easy it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE4fx5pLNXo

When I lease my car brand new with 33 miles on it, I saw the low batter warning on the first day. I brought it in to have it checked out and they replaced the battery. Now, less than 3 months later, I am getting the message again.

I am bringing the car in for unrelated issues next week, so we'll see what they say.

I was recently getting the message too, but only with one of the two keys. So I went to buy a battery. Only $2 for a 2-pack. So I just replaced both batteries at the same time instead of waiting for the other one to start giving me the error message. Super easy fix.

I bought a pack of batteries, too, but when I went to change them I tested both and they were above 3.05v. This error message is coming up regardless of battery health. How many others have actually tested their batteries with a volt meter?

I'm curious to hear if ronciak found out anything.

Back