2016 VW eGolf SEL (purch date 2016-01-13) - Trunk Light OUT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryMac

My less than 1 yr old vw eGolf currently has a malfunctioned hatch/cargo/trunk light. Very difficult to see at night.

Still waiting for my dealer appointment.

Light fixture in question is on the passenger side of the interior between the charging plug area and the backdoor area.

Was wondering what could cause this and if there's a DIY fix for it?

Service advisor said the following:
1. Cannot be fuse-related since a fuse normally covers multiple lights. only one does not work: the one that's supposed to turn on when I lift the hatch to access my cargo behind the 2nd row seats.

2. Unlike japanese cars, owners of German cars, particularly VW, are discouraged from doing DIY on lights and messing with fusebox. ** not sure if this is true.

3. Even if a lightbulb maybe a culprit, leave it alone and have the dealer fix it.

Any feedback from this discussion group?

If you think this post is related to an already existing topic, please feel free to merge or refer me there.

Thanks.

Mine was swapped out early on to an LED one. It's 42mm festoon type bulb and a little tricky to get out unless you know how it's removed. Here's a video I found showing the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lENU0MKVW3I

I'm having the same problem. 2015 e-Golf, about one year old. Bringing it in later this week to get it diagnosed. The bulb tests fine.

Wait, theres a trunk light? Seriously? Mine has never worked and I have been cursing VW every time I look for something in the trunk at night. I assumed it was some silly cost/ weight savings thing on the golf bc the "trunk" is so small and relatively open with the hatch up.

Now I need to go take a look in there and see. Thanks.

Back