2015 Limited Editions in Santa Cruz

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just walked by the Santa Cruz dealership and saw quite a surprise - 3 2015 LEs out of nowhere.

There is 1 white, 1 limestone grey, and 1 silver.

Would guess these came up from Monterey, since that was the only place in the Bay Area that had 2015s last time I checked.

They're marked at regular MSRP, but obviously they've been sitting for sale for at least 9 months, so I'm sure you could score a great deal.

As a reminder, the 2015s don't have carplay, but DO have the 7.2 kW charger that supports DC fast charging.

johnnylingo said:
Just walked by the Santa Cruz dealership and saw quite a surprise - 3 2015 LEs out of nowhere.

Would guess these came up from Monterey, since that was the only place in the Bay Area that had 2015s last time I checked.

They're marked at regular MSRP, but obviously they've been sitting for sale for at least 9 months, so I'm sure you could score a great deal.

As a reminder, the 2015s don't have carplay, but DO have the 7.2 kW charger that supports DC fast charging.

From what you can see, what are the differences in features for a 2016SE with CCS quick charge and 7.2kwh charger pack, which does come with the Mag rims, and a 2015 LE which comes with CCS and 7.2 Standard, and steel wheels?

I tried CarPlay once and have never used it again. I don't play media off my phone while in the car, and making phone calls over bluetooth is fine with me. So I wouldn't call the lack of CarPlay in the 2015 a disadvantage.

One other difference to note is that on the 2015 the charger locks in the port, but it doesn't in the 2016. The locking charger port seems to be a big annoyance around these parts.

If I had a choice, I'd opt for the 2015 just to get the faster charger even though I haven't needed it yet.

cctop said:
I tried CarPlay once and have never used it again. I don't play media off my phone while in the car, and making phone calls over bluetooth is fine with me. So I wouldn't call the lack of CarPlay in the 2015 a disadvantage.

One other difference to note is that on the 2015 the charger locks in the port, but it doesn't in the 2016. The locking charger port seems to be a big annoyance around these parts.

If I had a choice, I'd opt for the 2015 just to get the faster charger even though I haven't needed it yet.

It appears that the 2016 SEL, or so far any e-Golf with the CCS fast charger port and the 7.2 kwh charger has the locking feature on the charge port. Remains to be seen if the SE with the CCS fast charge option does the same, too.

johnnylingo said:

i emailed them, they wanted MSRP :lol:

upod1mm said:
johnnylingo said:

They're marked at regular MSRP, but obviously they've been sitting for sale for at least 9 months, so I'm sure you could score a great deal..

For last year's model? They need to lay off the "medicinal" marijuana. :lol:

RonDawg said:
upod1mm said:
johnnylingo said:

They're marked at regular MSRP, but obviously they've been sitting for sale for at least 9 months, so I'm sure you could score a great deal..

For last year's model? They need to lay off the "medicinal" marijuana. :lol:

Maybe the price will come down, when they come down?

upod1mm said:
johnnylingo said:

You call them up, and tell them what you are willing to pay for one, after talking with their internet sales manager. Leave them with an email address to send you a written offer to.

I'd offer 23- 24 k for one before taxes license and title fees, then take your 2500 state and 7500 federal tax credit off of that.

JoulesThief said:
You call them up, and tell them what you are willing to pay for one, after talking with their internet sales manager. Leave them with an email address to send you a written offer to.

I'd offer 23- 24 k for one before taxes license and title fees, then take your 2500 state and 7500 federal tax credit off of that.

^^^^^^^^ This. It's important that the price is good, but not ludicrous. Don't ask for something they'll never give, like $15,000. You want to offer something you have a chance at getting.

I have found a LOT of dealerships don't take email or Internet contacts seriously unless it is obvious you're actually ready to buy. From what I understand, nearly all messages they get from email and "contact us" web forms ends up leading nowhere. It's just people trolling, possibly months away from buying a car, and not even sure if they want a VW.

So, when you contact them, do everything you can to indicate you're serious. Tell them you want a 2015 eGolf you know they have them on the lot, what you want to pay, how you would do pay (cash, finance, lease) and at that price you would do the day the same or next day (obviously sub in your actual timeline, but the faster you can move the better chance you have. You'll be taken more seriously if you call. Check the website, many Bay Area dealerships have 3-4 people with the title "Internet Sales Manager". If so, pick one and ask for that person by name. It's the beginning of the month so they may not be as motivated, make it clear you want the car, but don't need it and if they won't give you the price you want now, tell them to call in a week or two if they change their mind.

If you don't want to call, you can make email and web forms work. When I have bought cars, I do the initial contact using the same message via email or web form, and do this with as many dealers as I am willing to drive to. I'm looking for the one or two stores that really want to move a car in a day or two.

kirby said:
JoulesThief said:

^^^^^^^^ This. It's important that the price is good, but not ludicrous. Don't ask for something they'll never give, like $15,000. You want to offer something you have a chance at getting.

I have found a LOT of dealerships don't take email or Internet contacts seriously unless it is obvious you're actually ready to buy. From what I understand, nearly all messages they get from email and "contact us" web forms ends up leading nowhere. It's just people trolling, possibly months away from buying a car, and not even sure if they want a VW.

So, when you contact them, do everything you can to indicate you're serious. Tell them you want a 2015 eGolf you know they have them on the lot, what you want to pay, how you would do pay (cash, finance, lease) and at that price you would do the day the same or next day (obviously sub in your actual timeline, but the faster you can move the better chance you have. You'll be taken more seriously if you call. Check the website, many Bay Area dealerships have 3-4 people with the title "Internet Sales Manager". If so, pick one and ask for that person by name. It's the beginning of the month so they may not be as motivated, make it clear you want the car, but don't need it and if they won't give you the price you want now, tell them to call in a week or two if they change their mind.

If you don't want to call, you can make email and web forms work. When I have bought cars, I do the initial contact using the same message via email or web form, and do this with as many dealers as I am willing to drive to. I'm looking for the one or two stores that really want to move a car in a day or two.

/\ Yep, have all your ducks in a row, be ready to move, and go show some face time to close the deal. Flat out tell them your time is valuable, and you want the paperwork all printed out and ready to be signed BEFORE you show up. Bring also drivers license and proof of insurance.

To me, a dealership that has the gall to ask full MSRP for last year's version of a car that isn't exactly a hot seller doesn't sound like a dealer that really wants to sell them, or wants to work with me.

If anything that dealer should be advertising these cars with discounts to drive traffic into their showroom.

upod1mm said:

The e-Golfs have been selling especially well in Santa Cruz. That's probably why they took them on, and explains the stiff upper lip.

This being said, I've seen "no haggle" prices well under $34k for 2016 SELs in San Jose, so obviously paying MSRP would be asinine.

RonDawg said:
To me, a dealership that has the gall to ask full MSRP for last year's version of a car that isn't exactly a hot seller doesn't sound like a dealer that really wants to sell them, or wants to work with me.

If anything that dealer should be advertising these cars with discounts to drive traffic into their showroom.

it never hurts to ask, or to show that via the internet, you've done your homework to determine fair market value. They may say no today, but yes tomorrow, or later in the week, or later in the month. It's not like buyers are buying e-Golfs like hot cakes at current market prices for last years models. Having a buyer is an opportunity for them to earn your business. Better than no opportunity.

That said, I am very happy with the discounted price I paid for my 2015 SEL, that I lowballed on and found a seller wanting to play. As a matter of fact, I am pleased as punch with how well it handles. Reminds me a bit of my go cart days. A long distance touring car, it is not, but for short and sweet jaunts through the canyons, it brings nothing but a smile to my face and my pocket book.

johnnylingo said:
upod1mm said:

The e-Golfs have been selling especially well in Santa Cruz. That's probably why they took them on, and explains the stiff upper lip.

Even so, it's not like there isn't another VW dealer a reasonable drive away that could make a better deal.

RonDawg said:
johnnylingo said:
upod1mm said:

Even so, it's not like there isn't another VW dealer a reasonable drive away that could make a better deal.

This /\. Plan on casting your net far and wide, if you want to land a super good deal on an e-Golf. And plan on going to the dealership that has exactly what you want in stock, if you want the best deal, no dealership trades.

Agreed, I limited the net for the e-Golf because it was my first electric car and I was nervous about driving it home farther than a single charge. I reached out to 10 Bay Area dealers via email or web form, heard back from all but one. Two or Three really wanted to make a deal at a price I thought was good. In the end, Sunnyvale VW (where I test drove) ended up with the right offer.

For other cars, I've contacted stores 3hrs away. I know others have gone farther, turning the drive home into a fun trip in their new car.As JT says, you will usually get the best deal from the dealer that has the car on the lot, it doesn't always work that way. I bought a 2006 VW GTI from Hayward, and he did a dealer trade to get it. It was $800 less than the dealer that had it on the lot.

Back