2016 SE and Heater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I turn on the heater in my 2016 SE and wait for warmth to enter the cabin, but I can barely tell if it's making any difference. Thank goodness I live in California or I'd have to bundle up in three coats to travel any distance.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any tips.

You might need to take it in the dealership and complain about this... I know there was a TSB for the same complaints on the 2015's. Note that the TSB might reduce the range on your vehicle.

Thanks JoulesThief. Before exploring VW's TSB I'll try cranking up the seat heater. Maybe the warmth on my posterior will be enough of a diversion ... and I can always throw a pair of light gloves into the car. That might work.

VW's manual warns that the seat heater can even burn particularly sensitive individuals, so that's encouraging. (-:

bingtamers said:
Thanks JoulesThief. Before exploring VW's TSB I'll try cranking up the seat heater. Maybe the warmth on my posterior will be enough of a diversion ... and I can always throw a pair of light gloves into the car. That might work.

VW's manual warns that the seat heater can even burn particularly sensitive individuals, so that's encouraging. (-:

The best butt warmer /cooler that I've ever come across, not using electricity, is genuine sheep skin seat covers. YMMV, but through the years, this is what I've found to be the best solution.

As a test, make sure it's in Normal drive mode and turn the temperature and the fan all the way up and see if it produces heat. If not, you definitely have to take it in. Sometimes EV's are trying too hard to save energy, so you just have to set it like you mean it.

Agreed on it being chilly. Definitely use the seat heaters. I only use mine on the middle or lowest setting and it makes a big difference. I agree on the Normal mode part. By habit I set mine to Eco. The kids get cold in the back so I have to remember to switch to Normal before trying the heat. My wife put a blanket back there for them. Sounds like the stories my dad used to tell me about his air cooled bugs.

2016 SE owner here, and found the forums while wondering about the heater performance.

I expected the modest performance of the electric heater, given the lack of a combusting engine, but was a bit surprised about:

1) The Climate Control's AC always staying on, even when the heat is set to HI, which, of course, conditions the air by dehumidifying it, but also cooling it to the point where I couldn't get any warm air.

2) When started but parked, I am unable to get any warm air whatsoever, even with AC off, temp to HI, and Air Circulation set to on.

The AC turning on can be worked about by turning it off, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get around not being able to get heat while parked. I don't think I saw any specific posts surrounding this issue -- is this as designed, or is this worth a visit to the dealer in search for a mythical TSB?

Best,

Make sure the green Ready indicator is lit on the instrument panel while parked. Otherwise the car is not fully ON. I would not expect heat unless it is all the way on and Ready.

miimura said:
Make sure the green Ready indicator is lit on the instrument panel while parked. Otherwise the car is not fully ON. I would not expect heat unless it is all the way on and Ready.

Very good point -- I will have to check for that and try again!

I know I've fallen trap to having everything in a lit-up state, but with the arrow pointing to OFF instead of 0 (ready), and have gone as far as to shift into R or D, wondering why I wasn't moving... ;)

Follow-up: Thanks to miimura for kindly reminding me about the need for the vehicle to be at "Needle on 0 on the "tachometer", and READY in Green on the center display" before the car is fully on.

Once the car was fully on, the heat came on after a minute or so of cold air. While it's certainly not as warm as air from a combustion engine HVAC, it's fabulous that I can turn it on in a closed garage while I run around and get ready in the morning.

Cheers,

Back