2016 SE question about charging port

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the SE version. Little confuse about the other charging slot that has a cover. Is that SAE combo slot? I didn't purchase the fast charge option. So if I was to use DCFC, it would just charge normally? Forgive me. Haven't read the entire manual yet.

If you didn't get the Fast Charge option on your SE, you can only use J1772 charging stations and will be limited to 240V and 15 amps which is 3.6kW. Completely empty to full could take 6 hours. You cannot get anything out of a SAE Combo charger because the big DC pins will prevent the whole thing from plugging in at all. However, I'm a little confused. If your car has the little cover at the bottom of the charge port, then you must have the DCFC inlet and therefore the Fast Charge option. Also, if you have the fast charge option, you also got the 7.2kW on-board charger.

That 'cover' is just that, a cover over an empty spot.

It's so VW doesn't have to make two kinds of charging cradles.

If you had DCFC it wouldn't be a cover, it could be two very large holes.

This is a DCFC
2015-Volkswagen-eGolf-Charging-Connector-SAE-CCS-DC-Fast-Charge.jpg

This is the one that I have.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytarutmkpf7x34s/IMG_0046.JPG?dl=0

Label on the car
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzi27ldb3uctbdx/IMG_0044.JPG?dl=0

My charge rate when I charge at work is 20 miles per hour @6.00 kW. If I don't have the fast charge option, would Chargepoint only provide 3.6 kW max?

I did inquire about the fast charge option when I was at the dealership. No mention of them adding it at all when we were negotiating the price. Note that I did take the car that we test drove.

Looks like the window sticker is wrong. You got quite a bargain! Based on your picture, you have the DCFC option, and since you are able to charge at 6 kW, that means you also have the 7.2 kW onboard charger. Your life will be far easier with the faster charging options. When you plug in your car at a charging station, the car will pull as much current as the station can provide.

He got the 7.2kwh charger on board. You will get up to 7.2 kwh charge rate, if your power supply is giving you 240V, which is usually residential "D" transformer voltage. A commercial Delta or "Y' transformer will usually give you a maximum of 208V, and in my experience here in So Cal, because the wiring runs are longer, you might see 200v at the charger handle, times 30 amps, or about 6kwh recharge rate.

I can be down to 5 miles of range left with my 7.2kwh charger on board, and I am pretty much 100% recharged in a little over 3 hours. The last 20 minutes of that recharge is a really slow reducing rate of recharge, to get that last 5% back in the battery. You might want to remember that if you are pressed for time, the last 15 20 minutes kw added is not worth the time.

That's nice to know! Maybe they forgot that the test car in the lot had it?

What is the max charge rate if I was to use the fast charge for nrg EVGO? Will I be able to fully charge from almost empty within 30 minutes? I live in San Fernando Valley and we have family in Ventura. About 80 miles round trip. I do see that there are a couple of fast charge option on our way there in case we were to use my e-golf. Still trying to get over the range anxiety thing.

MervinsOnlineID said:
I did inquire about the fast charge option when I was at the dealership. No mention of them adding it at all when we were negotiating the price. Note that I did take the car that we test drove.
Most likely the salesperson didn't know what DCFC was.

MervinsOnlineID said:
Can someone post a picture of what the regular SE port looks like? Just curious. Thanks!

I have one but I need to host it somewhere first. I wish these forums would just let you upload pictures. Posted it on my Facebook, let's see if this works.

Also, since there are only SAE combo chargers available in my area and very, very few J1772 only chargers I did not purchase this car. Went with an SEL instead.

15994392_10154217190562546_695913596681799583_o.jpg

AD

95GLX said:
MervinsOnlineID said:
Can someone post a picture of what the regular SE port looks like? Just curious. Thanks!

I have one but I need to host it somewhere first. I wish these forums would just let you upload pictures. Posted it on my Facebook, let's see if this works.

Also, since there are only SAE combo chargers available in my area and very, very few J1772 only chargers I did not purchase this car. Went with an SEL instead.

15994392_10154217190562546_695913596681799583_o.jpg

AD

Thanks!

f1geek said:
Looks like the window sticker is wrong.

No it's not. It's a bit hard to read, but the window sticker does say "DC Fast Charging Package" under the "Packages/Options" category (mid-lower right side of the OP's pic).

RonDawg said:
f1geek said:

No it's not. It's a bit hard to read, but the window sticker does say "DC Fast Charging Package" under the "Packages/Options" category (mid-lower right side of the OP's pic).

Is DC Fast charging available without the 7.2kW on-board charger? I thought they had to come together.

I stand corrected. I didn't see it at first glance. The car is indeed correctly equipped!

Jeremy1026 said:
RonDawg said:
f1geek said:

Is DC Fast charging available without the 7.2kW on-board charger? I thought they had to come together.
They do only come together. All 2015's (SEL and LE) have fast charge and 7.2kW charger on-board. 2016 SEL and SE with the Fast Charging Package also have both. SE without the package has 3.6kW and no fast charge inlet. All 2017's will have Fast Charge and 7.2kW also.

miimura said:
They do only come together. All 2015's (SEL and LE) have fast charge and 7.2kW charger on-board. 2016 SEL and SE with the Fast Charging Package also have both. SE without the package has 3.6kW and no fast charge inlet. All 2017's will have Fast Charge and 7.2kW also.

So then the window sticker is wrong. It says 3.6kW Charger and DC Fast Charge.

The 3.6 is standard, somewhere on the window sticker, if you know where to look, it will also say 7.2kw and DC Quick Charge option, and a $1500 to 1600 upgrade fee option to the bottom line of the price, it will be about $31,500. The price is your indication if you got the 7.2 kw charger package, or not.

The label is correct, the interpretation of some of the people not reading EVERYTHING on the window label is what is incorrect. Read the window label completely, and it's clear.

Jeremy1026 said:
miimura said:

So then the window sticker is wrong. It says 3.6kW Charger and DC Fast Charge.
You only read it slightly wrong. It's 2016 SE which comes with a 3.6kW Charger (True), then they added on the DCFC and 7.5kw Charger (Cut off on the right)

Back