2016 SEL E-GOLF LEASE - BAY AREA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First post ever!

Wanted to say thank you to the people in this forum for helping me finally decide to pull the trigger on a new E-golf. I definitely read many posts about the car here before deciding it was for me.

I wanted to return the favor by posting the deal I got in hopes that it helps someone else in the future.

2016-E-golf SEL lease - 36 months - 12k miles - 2500 down (Basically 0 with the rebate) - No excess wear coverage.

285 a month (after tax) - i live in a 10% tax region if that helps. I can post the exact numbers later if people want to see.

this is by far the best deal I found after calling multiple dealers. the next closest offer was 304 (with tax) same details.

Sunnyvale VW was bay far the best dealer I dealt with before signing. Now i just have to wait for my white stickers.

Thanks for reading

Yeah, if you wouldn't mind, I would like to see the numbers. Sounds like the best deal on a '16 so far. Sunnyvale is close to me and we're looking to lease an egolf for my wife's commute to Menlo Park.

Is there anyone, specifically, you would recommend speaking to at Sunnyvale VW?

I helped some friends in Davis get one from Sunnyvale in Sept. We had a great experience, and their price was THAT great that it made it worth driving there to get it. We had everything arranged, so they went in, did paperwork, and drove out.

We worked with David Bousheh and the internet manager Branko. Both were great.

so here is a breakdown of the numbers:

vehicle price 31340.00

residual value 14201.85

depreciation: 9320.4

base payment 259.28

tax: 25.93

total payment 285.21

educatedman said:
so here is a breakdown of the numbers:

vehicle price 31340.00

residual value 14201.85

depreciation: 9320.4

base payment 259.28

tax: 25.93

total payment 285.21

What model, exactly, did you lease, and year?

For example, 10 days ago, I bought a 2015 e-golf SEL, in white with beige interior, for $25,200. With a $2000 VW Owners Loyalty package, $27,200 without, and before taxes and registration. I did not use VW credit, and I did not have a trade in. Sales tax and registration was another $2500. I qualify for the $7500 federal tax rebate, and the California $2500 electric car rebate.

That means that I will pay $15,200 for the car, own it outright, and I paid $2500 in taxes and registration, after all rebates. About $17,700, all in, out of pocket, and I own it. We'll see how it goes, will probably keep it 8 years, or until VW has to warranty a battery replacement if it doesn't make 70% SOC for 8 years or 100,000 miles.

See my original post for model and year info.

Basically a 2016 SEL - 36 month lease, 12k miles a year.

educatedman said:

What is it going to cost you to get another vehicle after 3 years? Try your best guess /estimate.

JoulesThief said:
educatedman said:

What is it going to cost you to get another vehicle after 3 years? Try your best guess /estimate.
For me the e-Golf is a placeholder. It is cheap enough that it is basically rented for 3 years. What car I choose to get after that and how much it costs is immaterial because it will be a more capable vehicle. A Chevy Bolt or a Tesla Model 3 will be in a different functional class than the e-Golf. If there is nothing I'd rather have when compared to keeping the e-Golf, I can always buy it out for the residual value. There is also a good chance that it will be possible to negotiate down the residual buyout due to depressed resale values at that time.

miimura said:
JoulesThief said:
educatedman said:

For me the e-Golf is a placeholder. It is cheap enough that it is basically rented for 3 years. What car I choose to get after that and how much it costs is immaterial because it will be a more capable vehicle. A Chevy Bolt or a Tesla Model 3 will be in a different functional class than the e-Golf. If there is nothing I'd rather have when compared to keeping the e-Golf, I can always buy it out for the residual value. There is also a good chance that it will be possible to negotiate down the residual buyout due to depressed resale values at that time.

You know, I thought for sure that VW's TDI's with Clean Diesel was a more "capable" vehicle too, so much so, I own 3 of them currently. And that's what happens when we assume... No one has ever told you about the Bosch HPFP failures that wipes out the whole fuel system and getting handed a bill for a $7000 repair. No one has told you about Adblue heating elements for the Adblue to bring it up to proper temps of 165 to 175F to lower Nox emissions failing either, and being handed a $1200 to $1500 bill to fix that, either. Or the exhaust recirculation flapper failing, and blowing up your turbocharger. Or aggressive cold weather start up to heat up the exhaust components quickly to operating temperatures causing turbos to go kaboom also.

Sooo, let's take a wait and see attitude, and let the early adopters pay the piper and be beta testers for VW's "more capable" vehicles, rather than make blanket statements and assume what may happen 3 years down the line. VW's are known to bankroll dealerships with recurring expenses that are astronomical for service and repair. They don't fix problems, they bolt on new parts, bill accordingly, and send you on your way, your wallet a lot lighter.

I am very unlikely to be shopping VW for my "more capable" vehicle that will follow my e-Golf lease. I also don't see how your post logically follows from mine.

We also have VW experience and traded in a old VW for the e-Golf. It was a 2001 Passat GLX wagon. That 30V 2.8l V6 had oil consumption problems from when it was new. The dealer claimed that the threshold for addressing the oil consumption was 1qt/1000 miles. That is ridiculous. I suspect that the reason they set the threshold so high was that with such a huge amount of oil being burned, it would take out the catalytic converters within the warranty period. Sure enough, both of the cats close in to the exhaust manifold went bad just outside the emissions warranty. They played it just right... My wife and I both really liked the car in spite of that and the other small issues the car had.

Bottom line, I'm expecting to put a deposit on a Tesla Model 3 on the first day the books are open. When all the details are available, then I will decide whether to follow through on the purchase or not.

miimura said:
I am very unlikely to be shopping VW for my "more capable" vehicle that will follow my e-Golf lease. I also don't see how your post logically follows from mine.

We also have VW experience and traded in a old VW for the e-Golf. It was a 2001 Passat GLX wagon. That 30V 2.8l V6 had oil consumption problems from when it was new. The dealer claimed that the threshold for addressing the oil consumption was 1qt/1000 miles. That is ridiculous. I suspect that the reason they set the threshold so high was that with such a huge amount of oil being burned, it would take out the catalytic converters within the warranty period. Sure enough, both of the cats close in to the exhaust manifold went bad just outside the emissions warranty. They played it just right... My wife and I both really liked the car in spite of that and the other small issues the car had.

Bottom line, I'm expecting to put a deposit on a Tesla Model 3 on the first day the books are open. When all the details are available, then I will decide whether to follow through on the purchase or not.

Nice! You and a lot of other folks are waiting for a $35,000 car, after the rebate. I don't think the rebates will last for ever either. Elon is not known to deliver on time, or not raise prices, once production starts.

JoulesThief said:
Nice! You and a lot of other folks are waiting for a $35,000 car, after the rebate. I don't think the rebates will last for ever either. Elon is not known to deliver on time, or not raise prices, once production starts.
The federal tax credit is one reason that I want to get an early Model 3. Once Tesla really starts ramping up production, they will quickly hit their 200,000 unit ceiling to phase out the credit for Tesla buyers. However, I don't have any delusion that a Model 3 configured how I want will be $35,000, even after the tax credit.

miimura said:
JoulesThief said:
The federal tax credit is one reason that I want to get an early Model 3. Once Tesla really starts ramping up production, they will quickly hit their 200,000 unit ceiling to phase out the credit for Tesla buyers. However, I don't have any delusion that a Model 3 configured how I want will be $35,000, even after the tax credit.

Tesla is liable to factor in the savings in fuel vs electrical costs for 5 years, and the rebate, into the $35000 price tag. With gas at $5 a gallon. When electric cars really get cost effective and start selling like hot cakes, copper prices will skyrocket, as will the infrastructure and demand for more cheap electricity. There is a vulnerability being tethered to high power transfer lines, if you can't afford or have the land to build your own self sufficient power grid out of a solar panel farm.

I like the Model S quite a bit, admire the whole idea of starting from scratch, and the friend I have with one (a P85+) absolutely loves it. That said .... spend any time reading the teslamotorsclub forums and you may want to take a wait and see attitude on the 3. Tesla moves at 100mph all the time and the early cars they sell to the public would be production prototypes anywhere else. There are people on their 3rd or 4th drivetrains with the S and it's still not clear they finally got it right!

Contrast with the Volt, which was rock solid. My car, VIN 777, had a problem with the charge door sticking a little bit and, um, that's it. There is a huge difference between the amount of integration and testing a major OEM does and Tesla. They just don't have the resources. If it's 200 miles range you want, I'd feel far more comfortable with the announced Chevy Bolt coming through on time and being very solid than the 3.

educatedman said:
First post ever!

Wanted to say thank you to the people in this forum for helping me finally decide to pull the trigger on a new E-golf. I definitely read many posts about the car here before deciding it was for me.

I wanted to return the favor by posting the deal I got in hopes that it helps someone else in the future.

2016-E-golf SEL lease - 36 months - 12k miles - 2500 down (Basically 0 with the rebate) - No excess wear coverage.

285 a month (after tax) - i live in a 10% tax region if that helps. I can post the exact numbers later if people want to see.

this is by far the best deal I found after calling multiple dealers. the next closest offer was 304 (with tax) same details.

Sunnyvale VW was bay far the best dealer I dealt with before signing. Now i just have to wait for my white stickers.

Thanks for reading

Hey educatedman,

Thanks for posting your numbers, it really helped us out! We went to Sunnyvale VW and got a very similar deal. We did $2388 down (after the CA rebate), but we were looking for a low monthly lease payment. 12K miles 36 mo. $151/mo. after taxes. I also got the $2000.00 VW loyalty credit for my 1993 VW Corrado that just sits in my gararge! We (my wife) picked out a Urano Grey 2016 SEL. Great car and a great experience at Sunnyvale VW.

Hi icorradoi, educatedman, and all others here.
First off, this forum has been incredibly helpful - in education about the car as well the fluid state of deals in this post TDI-lameness era of VW.

I leased a 2016 SEL last weekend. I used icorradoi's numbers as a basis and came within a few bucks.

$6888 down (which was a trade-in)
$158 Month
36 Months, 10K Miles

Does not factor the CA $2500 that I will get back in 90 or so days.
And I did not have a VW to trade in.

The dealer? After six weeks of exhaustively calling/emailing/truecar-ing all around the bay area, I was pleasantly surprised to be able to work with Sonnen, which is in my neighborhood.

On the day of the transaction, wish I had had more time to think about the wear and tear plan, which I declined.
However, the dealer's general manager, Masoud Modjtabavi, assured me via email said he'd sell me the plan at $500 this weekend.

The last thing I'll say is that the customer service there was absolutely great, if you deal with these two people: Myles Safian in Sales, and Masoud, the GM. Myles really knows the eGolf. And tried as he might to get me in to work the deal, when I told him that email was the best way to work with me, he pivoted and was very responsive.

The Finance guy Mike (?) was great, too. Frictionless, to the very end.

First post

We just cAme back from signing a lease for 2016 se for 65 per month, 36 months, 12k miles. We did 5600 down with 11k residual.

Jjoshi said:
First post

We just cAme back from signing a lease for 2016 se for 65 per month, 36 months, 12k miles. We did 5600 down with 11k residual.
Why so much down payment? Was it a trade-in?

For others, be forewarned. If the car is totaled your insurance company will pay off VW Credit and you will not see a dime. Your down payment will be gone. For that reason, I recommend people don't put down any of their own cash for a lease beyond the $2,500 CA rebate. Actually, if the car is totaled before 30 months pass, you will have to pay back a pro-rated portion of the CA rebate too. This is not so much of a problem because you will usually lease another EV and get another rebate anyway.

Not a trade-in. I guess I got tempted by the low monthly. Fwiw 5600 does not include the ca rebate. So the down is more like 2600. And it includes license and registration too.

Hi Everyone,

I just leased my eGolf SEL from Sunnyvale VW on Friday. B/C I was an existing VW owner and my company has a partner relation to VW, I was able to get a sweet (at least I think it was sweet) deal for my Pacific Blue.

My terms were:

$130/month for 36 months
2K cap reduction (Including the $2500 rebate so 4500 total)

These terms (based on my current gasoline and insurance costs) will actually SAVE me some money for the terms of the lease. Woohoo!! going electric!

Back