2017-2019 owners, is your battery gauge linear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eGolfJoe

I own a 2019 eGolf SE, US spec, and find that the battery level gauge is not linear. If I maintain ~ 4.6 miles/KWh, I get 9-10 miles per tick mark on the gauge for the first half, but after that the miles per tick mark drops. With 40% remaining, its 7 miles per tick mark, 30% remaining and I'm down to ~ 5 miles per tick mark.

Overall I'm still getting EPA rated miles to the charge (I get about 118 miles before entering the red section) but it's annoying that this isn't linear.

Does everyone else's eGolf with the bigger pack do this or am I special?

Don't know. I haven't paid attention to this level of detail. I tend to look at the range at 50% SoC to get an estimate of the drive consumption. Living the SF Bay Area, the weather is fairly mild, so in summer weather, I expect ~80 miles at 50% SoC. In wet winter weather, I expect ~60 miles at 50% SoC. Glad to hear the pack and car are performing well.

It's not going to be linear, unless all you do is drive on flat, level ground. If you are gaining and losing elevation, that will have an effect on the remaining range, in a drastic way. You're dealing with the equivalent of a 3 gallon tank of diesel fuel in a 2015 Golf TDI, in terms of range. Lifting 3450 pounds up a hill takes energy away from the battery, and will definitely shorten the range remaining shown by the Guess O Meter.

f1geek said:
Don't know. I haven't paid attention to this level of detail. I tend to look at the range at 50% SoC to get an estimate of the drive consumption. Living the SF Bay Area, the weather is fairly mild, so in summer weather, I expect ~80 miles at 50% SoC. In wet winter weather, I expect ~60 miles at 50% SoC. Glad to hear the pack and car are performing well.

Thanks for the reply. I finally plugged in my VCDS Ross tech cable and queried a bunch of parameters. Going to track them over time.

Back