$59 mo / $999 down 2-year SE lease

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnnylingo said:
http://www.serramontevolkswagen.com...=&cs:tv=33&cs:pro=ppsersales&cs:ki=1138035601

This is a 2 year (10k miles annually) lease so not eligible for CA state rebate, but still... I'd rather due it this way and have an insanely low monthly payment than wait around for a rebate check.

Make sure you check out the chunk of change you are going to owe at the end of the lease, too. Then spread out what you paid up front, and at the end, over 24 payments, to see what your true cost per month was. You will then have to come up with more, again for the down on the next car you buy.

I saw that deal, and was impressed, but it's worth mentioning that you'll still have about $2k worth of taxes, lease origination, DMV fees, etc, so you'll want to account for that.

Still a great deal, especially if the 24 month lease works a lot better for your vehicle cycle vs 36 months.

johnnylingo said:
http://www.serramontevolkswagen.com...=&cs:tv=33&cs:pro=ppsersales&cs:ki=1138035601

This is a 2 year (10k miles annually) lease so not eligible for CA state rebate, but still... I'd rather due it this way and have an insanely low monthly payment than wait around for a rebate check.
Low monthly payment is overrated. To get that car for that monthly payment you're probably going to to have to put in almost $2,300 of cash up front. That is more than the sum of the payments (24 * $59 = $1416). I would rather pay no money down and get $2,500 to put in the bank 60 days later but have a payment that is nearly $200/mo. The Rebate subsidizes your 36 payments by $69.44/month.

As said above, the main reason for 24 months is that you have some other event coming up such that you don't want the car for months 25-36.

I like their little small print at the end... "1 at this price"

They tried to pull that crap on me the last round of "great" deals.

bizzle said:
I like their little small print at the end... "1 at this price"

They tried to pull that crap on me the last round of "great" deals.

LOL, yep, been there, done that. Royal Scam.

sodakar said:
I saw that deal, and was impressed, but it's worth mentioning that you'll still have about $2k worth of taxes, lease origination, DMV fees, etc, so you'll want to account for that.

Still a great deal, especially if the 24 month lease works a lot better for your vehicle cycle vs 36 months.

True. It's always that hit. Throwing out the fees, there's a $1300 difference when looking at the costs over a 6 year period.

2x 36 month leases: 2 * ($2,000 down + 36 * $99 ) = $11128
3x 24 month leases: 3 * ($1,000 down + 24 * $59) = $9804

Of course, acquisition, finance, and DMV fees of an extra lease will cancel that out and them some.

And, for a California resident, the $2500 state rebate throws the decision heavily in favor of doing 36 month. Even if the car sits in a garage for the last year, you still come out ahead.

miimura said:
Low monthly payment is overrated. To get that car for that monthly payment you're probably going to to have to put in almost $2,300 of cash up front.

Your point is well taken. However, I was trying to see an Apples to Apples comparison and found these on a 2016 SE, 7.5k miles annually:

Santa Monica: ($2,000 down + 36 * $99) - $2500 = $3064
Downtown LA: ($0 down + 36 * $169) + ($1000 - $2500) = $4584

The reason for the huge price differences: Santa Monica is working off a cap cost while Downtown LA is working straight off the MSRP.

Goes to show you can get really screwed by biting on a dealer's zero down offer without crunching the numbers and reading the fine print :geek:

Back