Above 100 full charge w/ Chargepoint, average 80 w/ Bosc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all,

I know that the estimated miles are not super accurate (driving habits affect it, etc.) and you should go by the smaller lower dial, but I have a very regular commute in terms of habits, charging time and length. What I've noticed is that when I charge at home with my Bosch overnight (battery down to usually 20s or 30s) I get a full charge in the 80s range (every now and then in the 90s, super rare in the 100s, top was 119), but when I go to work and charge on a Chargepoint charger (usually in the 50s or 60s) it always charges up to 100s or 110s, never below.

Is that just a Bosch/Chargepoint difference or charging from mostly depleted to full vs. halfway-ish to full?

Btw. thanks to all the contributors to this forum (just turned off honk on lock option and learned about B mode not doing anything when fully charged (was wondering why sometimes B mode doesn't seem to work - although have yet to find a post about why changing Driving Modes doesn't always work (not letting me switch to Eco or Eco+)))!

Cheers
JD

Hello -

I have only a guess... As you've noted, the estimated mileage numbers are biased heavily to reflect your recent driving. Is it possible that your drive from home to work uses less energy per mile (perhaps slower, steadier speeds; less use of climate control) than your opposite drive (from work back to home)? If that's the case, when you charge at work the car would remember your "more efficient" drive to work, and base the at-work charging estimated range accordingly; and when you charge at home the car would remember your "less efficient" drive home, and again base its range estimate accordingly...

... but that's only a guess on my part. If you'd like, you can check the "average consumption since charge" on the Infotainment screen under the "Car" menu button - see if your average consumption from home->work is better than the consumption from work->home?

But it sounds like the small "Gas Gauge" ;) dial at the lower right shows fully-charged in either case... is that true?

I've just re-read your post (probably should have read it more closely the first time :-} ) ... do you drive the same route from work->home as you do from home->work (but just the opposite direction of course)? If so, then that must be the answer... if your "remaining range" is 50-60 at work, but at home is down to 20-30, then that indicates that your drive home uses more energy-per-mile than your drive to work, and that could be causing the skew in the estimated range when charging at home or at work.

How about elevation: is your home at a significantly higher elevation than your work? That could cause the difference in consumption...?

My bet is on elevation difference. I am willing to bet that the OP's home is at a higher elevation than his office. I don't charge at work but I notice a huge difference in mi/kWh going to work vs. going home with only about 100 foot difference over 5 miles. This in itself can lead to the GOM differences mentioned.

Oh, and in case you missed it, the implication in my post is that the charging station makes absolutely no difference.

Thanks for the quick replies!

And yep, same route back and forth, just going the opposite way (no changes in AC or media usage when comparing; I did write down daily trips to log the differences between media on or off, Eco vs. Eco+, etc.) and yep, there is elevation difference; more downhill going to work, hence more miles left than when going home.

I was just curious as to why I consistently get 110s on the chargepoint (with around 5 mile fluctuations) yet the Bosch charger has fluctuations of almost 40 miles (some overnight charges end at 81 and then at 119?).

You can find a correlation to the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) range readings by looking at your driving history. Write down the mi/kWh for each "Since Charge" and what the GOM says after each charge. You will see that the higher the efficiency for the driving since the last charge, the higher the range will be after charging. If you were able to charge only at home or only at work, you would find that the range estimate would be somewhere between the two readings you are getting now because the uphill and downhill segments would average out.

My guess is that when you see the high range numbers after charging at home, you've done more miles since charging, so the poor efficiency of driving uphill going home is not dominating the efficiency reading since last charge. You probably don't do any side trips on the way to work, so those readings are consistent.

Back