ACC radar warning to some... interesting revelation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babakp

So folks I’m sharing an ACC related observation that is peculiar and avoidable with an easy fix.

FYI, I know a little bit about this technology, might not necessarily be a good thing but just a disclaimer...

A couple of days into my 2017 e-golf and I noticed an abnormality in the acc sensor where under certain circumstances it was not detecting the car in front and was going full steam ahead to a rear ender!!

It was so unique and peculiar that I couldn’t write it off as a “technology at its infancy” scenario so it had to be a faulty front radar. Of course certain vw models have the radar on the front logo and the VW Canada Presentation video on YouTube stressed this feature but mine came with the radar under the bumper.

Hoping that it is not a faulty part in a brand new factory ordered car, I started poking about the front end and noticed that the dealer installed license plate and bracket is sitting just over 1/4 inch below the factory base plate it is supposed to be installed on. Hence blocking the top part of the radar sensor in the middle.

I visited the dealer and checked it with him which led to us removing and re-installing the front license plate flush with the bottom of factory base plate and voila!! The radar works exactly as it should.

Just thought I’d share this for y’all to check if your acc is behaving strange, this might be the solution.

Thanks for the observation. I had exactly the same thing happen to me on the highway. After I read this I clearly remembered that it worked fine until I changed lanes and ended up behind a big truck that had a lot of empty space under the rear-end of the box. At that moment it started accelerating like there was nobody in front. Didn't get a chance to check the plate mount, but I am fairly sure it's mounted too low (by the dealer of course)

kataleen said:
Thanks for the observation. I had exactly the same thing happen to me on the highway. After I read this I clearly remembered that it worked fine until I changed lanes and ended up behind a big truck that had a lot of empty space under the rear-end of the box. At that moment it started accelerating like there was nobody in front. Didn't get a chance to check the plate mount, but I am fairly sure it's mounted too low (by the dealer of course)

I’m glad if it helps some. I checked other delivered VW at that particular dealership and they were all mounted flush with top of factory mount hence typically just over 1/4” below including the dealer frame they usually add!!. I mentioned it to them to revisit with all ACC vehicles not just the e-golf.

Still I’m sure y’all know this technology is still in beta phase at best.

babakp said:

Actually, radar cruise control has been around for two decades. What has changed over the years is the wider speed range and greater autonomy that these systems are (supposed to) provide. I'll probably be waiting another two decades before I take the plunge.

2016golfse said:
babakp said:

Actually, radar cruise control has been around for two decades. What has changed over the years is the wider speed range and greater autonomy that these systems are (supposed to) provide. I'll probably be waiting another two decades before I take the plunge.
I'll never take that plunge. Ever. Save the manual driver. VW used to advertise "Drivers wanted" Now all they want is you to be a passenger.

Most car manufacturers are planning for self driving cars. There are several reasons for the shift, one of which is that there is only so much time in the day to use your brain on useful tasks, so if you are focused on driving, that's less time to use your brain for doing work, being creative, reading, writing forum comments, etc. To each his own. At some point in the future, driving your own car will be limited to off road use and/or for the very rich, if you believe all the predictions. I bet insurance companies will have to change their business model once the human behind the wheel are no longer responsible for crashing.

Here is how my plate was installed. The pate frame does extend down beyond the plate mount. But to me even the plate mount (behind the plate) extends too far down over the radar.

plate1.jpg

plate2.jpg

plate3.jpg

Thanks for sharing photos. I didn’t think ahead to do before after a on mine but just the 1/4 “ apparently throws the radar off in some circumstances I discovered, and since I made it flush with the bottom of the factory installed under plate it is working as it should without any problems. I suggest y’all do the same to avoid surprises.

Back