Android Auto very broken

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Samsung GS5 that couldn't work with Android Auto to save it's life, so when I happened to be in the market, I switched to the Nexus 6P. Besides the phone being flat-out amazing, it works flawlessly with my eGolf. I'm so happy I never wasted my money on the VW nav, as the Goole map set is fantastic and very accurate. The UI for the phone and other features are amazing as well. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.....

For what it's worth, a $40 Moto E (2nd gen) prepaid also works great with android auto. You can activate it on ringplus for $0/month if you want a dedicated car phone or are a cheapskate like me :lol:

Verkehr said:
For what it's worth, a $40 Moto E (2nd gen) prepaid also works great with android auto. You can activate it on ringplus for $0/month if you want a dedicated car phone or are a cheapskate like me :lol:
hmm my Galaxy S5 worked perfectly fine with it.

Sorry for necro-posting but this thread seems like my best chance of getting a knowledgable answer:

First an update:
On a 2016 SEL with a Pixel 2, Android Auto "just worked" yesterday. I didn't do anything special, just plugged in the USB cable in my garage, the phone auto-downloaded Android Auto over wifi and then things started up. On the two drives I did after that, it worked great!

Now a question:
Current Android Auto supports a connection over Bluetooth. Is there any chance this will work in the 2016 eGolf? I doubt it, given the timeline for the headunit's firmware and when AA over Bluetooth was announced, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. Assuming it doesn't work, is there any update I can do that would activate it?

Glad for the Necro post...

I must have missed this one browsing through the forums initially...

Don't mean to hijack, but I got a Samsung Galaxy S8, Is there a current supported device list out there for the 2017/2018 model? Android Auto was one of my requirements for my next new car...

Also what are the effects of being in Canada and lack of car-net to Android Auto? I think I saw the earlier issues in this thread relating to car-net?

Might be a deal breaker if it doesn't work :(

kirby said:
Now a question:
Current Android Auto supports a connection over Bluetooth. Is there any chance this will work in the 2016 eGolf? I doubt it, given the timeline for the headunit's firmware and when AA over Bluetooth was announced, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. Assuming it doesn't work, is there any update I can do that would activate it?

Sadly, no. The e-Golf's Android Auto implementation is wired-only. Same for Apple Car Play. It's in the manual. Same even on 2017 with the Technology Package (Canadian package with 9.2" head unit, may be sold differently in other markets).

so yeah, this is the MAGIC question that lead me to finding this forum existed.

freaken Android auto issues.. like many, my phone doesn't seem to work with the Egolf. i get the black screen of death and sometimes, when i'm lucky, i get the error message that it just doesn't work.

i tried the "miricle sequence" posted by another user and, after getting my hopes up, it still doesn't work.

HOWEVER, i might have found a cheap back door to fix this issue. not yet tested as im stuck in the office and just came accross a solution but i'll update you guys tonight after work.

so, aparently, we can download from the playstore an app called "LG Mirrordrive".. yes, my phone's not an LG either.. but it aparently WORKS-ish..

the ish is because if you do anything else with your phone, it crash's and you have to restart the app.. aparently it uses mirrorlink instend and just shoots your, say, google maps, to the touchscreen.

i'll provide more toight but if anyone's just sitting around, feel free to download and test.. good luck

EDIT :: doesn't seem to work either.. :(

Back