Autocross?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slomove

Just a curiosity question.

Did anybody try and take an e-Golf (or Leaf or similar) to an auto-cross (a.k.a Solo2) event? It would obviously need stickier tires.
But otherwise I suspect with the great low-speed torque, low COG and shift-less acceleration it might be a fun thing to do. A bit on the heavy side but I guess it should be able to compete with similarly powered ICE cars. Due to the short driving time, the limited reach should not be an issue.

Oh well, just a thought. Not planning to do this anytime soon. Plowing into the cones with a leased car is probably not a good idea...

I say go for it, if it's just for fun once or twice, what's the harm? I thought about taking mine to the road course, but the top speed of 87mph would take all the fun out of that. I'd also have to tow it as the closest track is 100 miles away. I think autocross would suit this car well. Like you said, it does well at less than 30mph, no shifting is needed, and the weight distribution is better than regular Golfs. I've been impressed with the amount of grip my factory Bridgestones actually have. Sure you won't win, but I think it would be neat to see a silent car dodging cones! I haven't autocrossed in years, and unfortunately, nobody runs events that are close enough for me to drive to, run, and then drive home again, or else I would try it.

I agree. I've thought about it, and I'll bet that the e-Golf would do quite well, especially with the right tires. I recall small (not that powerful) hatchbacks doing better than muscle cars when I did a couple events years ago (in an ICE). I'm also tempted to try it with my e-Golf because the two local sites that hold events are ideal: one is where I work and the other at another local college that has Charge Point stations.

For what it's worth, there was a similar discussion on another forum:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7208745-REFUEL-at-Laguna-Seca

Discussion was more about road course sessions, but discussed autocross a bit too.

I would definitely take eGolf to Solo2. They often have Solo2 events at the Hershey centre (Mississauga, Ontario, Canada) which is just 3km away from my home.

Having done solo2 in a few Hondas before, I think the eGolf would be even better.
Yeah, sticker tires would be needed

But there are so many things in electric drive going for it.

I'm also very curious about the various driving modes. Normal with level 4 regen or the B regen for one pedal driving?

I encourage people to do solo2 when they can so they can improve their driving skills and get to know their cars a lot better.

One thing though: when you leave. The race is over! Keep the racing to the track!

Back