Avg consumption startup penalty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexecar

Hi,

I noticed that every trip I take with my 2016 egolf SE starts with a low average consumption value in the 2 KWh range, even if I switch off climate control immediately, go to an eco mode, and drive sensibly from the start. It takes 15+ minutes to come close to the final average consumption in the 4-5 KWh range (depending how I drive). My usual trips are about 3 min on city streets and then freeway. I saw the same phenomenon in my Gas-powered VW cars with avg mph, but they climbed to a reasonable avg consumption much quicker, even though the penalty for city driving is more severe for gas cars.

What's the story behind this avg consumption behavior, is this programmed, or is there something on startup that actually uses a whole lot of power?

Regards,
Alex

alexecar said:
Hi,

I noticed that every trip I take with my 2016 egolf SE starts with a low average consumption value in the 2 KWh range, even if I switch off climate control immediately, go to an eco mode, and drive sensibly from the start. It takes 15+ minutes to come close to the final average consumption in the 4-5 KWh range (depending how I drive). My usual trips are about 3 min on city streets and then freeway. I saw the same phenomenon in my Gas-powered VW cars with avg mph, but they climbed to a reasonable avg consumption much quicker, even though the penalty for city driving is more severe for gas cars.

What's the story behind this avg consumption behavior, is this programmed, or is there something on startup that actually uses a whole lot of power?

Regards,
Alex

Every bearing, component, etc needs to come up to operating temperature while driving before you see top or reasonable miles per kwh. Gear box oil, CV joints, bearings, anything with grease or oil in it needs to come up to normal operating temperature before drag or viscosity is reduced to "normal".

This is a common phenomena.

Also, going from 0 mph to any speed requires more energy than just coasting along the road.

Thanks for the responses, makes all sense. I understand the extra startup energy consumption, it's just surprising that it's more severe than a gas engine car. I also have a VW CC with 2.0T engine, and within 5 minutes avg mpg is up in the 30s from a cold start. In order to get to mid-4 kWh range with my eGolf it takes me 15+min.

alexecar said:
Thanks for the responses, makes all sense. I understand the extra startup energy consumption, it's just surprising that it's more severe than a gas engine car. I also have a VW CC with 2.0T engine, and within 5 minutes avg mpg is up in the 30s from a cold start. In order to get to mid-4 kWh range with my eGolf it takes me 15+min.

You have a hot thermostat controlled engine, 200F and coolant, 195F, hooked up to a transmission that transmits heat to the rest of the drivetrain, expediting the warm up process.

JoulesThief said:
alexecar said:
Hi,I noticed that every trip I take with my 2016 egolf SE starts with a low average consumption value in the 2 KWh range, even if I switch off climate control immediately, go to an eco mode, and drive sensibly from the start. It takes 15+ minutes to come close to the final average consumption in the 4-5 KWh range (depending how I drive).

Regards,
Alex
Every bearing, component, etc needs to come up to operating temperature while driving before you see top or reasonable miles per kwh. Gear box oil, CV joints, bearings, anything with grease or oil in it needs to come up to normal operating temperature before drag or viscosity is reduced to "normal".
After driving an EV thru several seasons, you'll find that the "happy place" for the battery pack is likely to be around 72 degrees. While Joules is on the right track with warming the components, he missed the biggie of the battery pack itself.

In cool/cold weather, the capacity and performance of the battery pack is reduced. Charging/discharging the battery creates heat as a byproduct and as you start to drive, the pack comes up to a "normal" operating temperature. The BMS will also reduce or limit the amount of regen/braking energy going to the pack when you first start out (this usually lasts longer in cold temps).

DucRider said:
JoulesThief said:
alexecar said:
Hi,I noticed that every trip I take with my 2016 egolf SE starts with a low average consumption value in the 2 KWh range, even if I switch off climate control immediately, go to an eco mode, and drive sensibly from the start. It takes 15+ minutes to come close to the final average consumption in the 4-5 KWh range (depending how I drive).

Regards,
Alex
After driving an EV thru several seasons, you'll find that the "happy place" for the battery pack is likely to be around 72 degrees. While Joules is on the right track with warming the components, he missed the biggie of the battery pack itself.

In cool/cold weather, the capacity and performance of the battery pack is reduced. Charging/discharging the battery creates heat as a byproduct and as you start to drive, the pack comes up to a "normal" operating temperature. The BMS will also reduce or limit the amount of regen/braking energy going to the pack when you first start out (this usually lasts longer in cold temps).

Just heat being generated by the internal resistance within the battery pack.

Back