Blew the 12v Fuse - I Can Easily Change It But...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today both of the 12v ports stopped working and when I checked the fuse box I saw that the fuse is blown. I don't think the car came with any spares so I'm probably looking at taking it to the dealership and paying for a very simple fuse fix. Ugh.

Do they sell OEM replacement fuses in So. Cal.? I don't want to void the warranty but I'd hate to unnecessarily waste time and money at the dealership.

Any helpful advice is appreciated. Thanks.

eGolfeGirl said:
Today both of the 12v ports stopped working and when I checked the fuse box I saw that the fuse is blown. I don't think the car came with any spares so I'm probably looking at taking it to the dealership and paying for a very simple fuse fix. Ugh.

Do they sell OEM replacement fuses in So. Cal.? I don't want to void the warranty but I'd hate to unnecessarily waste time and money at the dealership.

Any helpful advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Why don't you take a few pictures of the fuse and host them and then post them up here. You can probably get fuses at Track Auto or Pep Boys, ask for some assistance to match it. What's the last thing you plugged in to the 12 V ports that may have blown the fuses? They are normally only wired for like 5 amps, maximum, or about 60 -70 watts.

The 20 amp fuse is a regular blade type. Personally, I wouldn't bother taking it in and would just use a suitable replacement from the box in my garage. Warranty is unaffected when a suitable replacement part is used.

Sptgolf said:
I would think that's covered under the warranty.
Why would a blown fuse be covered under warranty? If it can b shown the wiring was bad or shorted out, that's one thing, but at this point it's probably operator error of some type, or rats/mice chewing on the electrical.

I dropped a penny in the lighter port, it sparked and then the fuse blew. I checked it last night. So I got a replacement at Autozone. Haven't installed it yet, I'm mostly concerned about the warranty. The swap itself is simple. I really don't want to go to the dealership for something so basic.

JoulesThief said:
You can probably get fuses at Track Auto or Pep Boys, ask for some assistance to match it.

Well maybe not Trak Auto. They went out of business years ago...per Wikipedia, their SoCal stores were sold to Kragen, which was bought out by O'Reilly. In SoCal anyway, it's primarily Pep Boys, O'Reilly, Napa, and AutoZone.

eGolfeGirl said:
I dropped a penny in the lighter port, it sparked and then the fuse blew. I checked it last night. So I got a replacement at Autozone. Haven't installed it yet, I'm mostly concerned about the warranty. The swap itself is simple. I really don't want to go to the dealership for something so basic.
This is one reason I really don't like the location and orientation of the e-Golf 12V port. If you don't leave an accessory or the provided cap in the socket, it's likely to be shorted by any number of things that might fall inside.

miimura said:
eGolfeGirl said:
This is one reason I really don't like the location and orientation of the e-Golf 12V port. If you don't leave an accessory or the provided cap in the socket, it's likely to be shorted by any number of things that might fall inside.

How about keeping loose stuff in your pocket or purse, instead? Or keep the cover on it, when not in use, so dust and dirt and other crap doesn't fall in there? Seems stupid to blow a fuse over a penny, they are not worth much, certainly not worth blowing a fuse over.

Sorry, Mike, to me, it just seems like common sense. I chalk it up to operator error. If you are a pilot in a plane, there is no loose stuff allowed in the cockpit, ever... ask any pilot. Operating a car, or any vehicle, should not be much different. I don's subscribe to the idea of multitasking while driving, give it instead your 100% attention. And that includes leaving stuff loose inside the car... tie it down,use blocks, secure it, like cargo. Eat and drink at a dining establishment, not in your car. Have a spill proof lid if you do drink coffee in you car on the way in to work.

Edited to remove profanity. I prefer a clean operating area for driving, not messing with charging smart phones while driving.

There's no need to use curse words on this forum.

Ok, how about this. I don't like the location of the 12V socket because the most likely use is to charge your phone. The best place for the phone is in the cubby in front of the shifter or inside the arm rest bin. There are not 12V sockets in either of those places and having the cord run from the existing socket to either of those places across important "cockpit controls" is problematic.

JoulesThief said:
How about keeping loose shit in your pocket or purse, instead? Or keep the cover on it, when not in use, so dust and dirt and other crap doesn't fall in there? Seems stupid to blow a fuse over a penny, they are not worth much, certainly not worth blowing a fuse over.
[/quote][/quote]

Well Joules, as always you are the MASTER at solving peoples' problems after they've already been figured out by someone else. Also I appreciate you saying it's always operator error because we're not following every single unwritten rule that only you follow.

Stuff happens! Get over yourself.

Back