Brake Pedal travel excessive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbh123

Hi,
My 2017 eGolf hsa 80,000 km on it, and I have owned it from new.
Recently I did go into the dealer, i have reset the maint a few times, I figured with my extended warranty, I should give them a little work.
They sorta did the recommended work, (not a drop of oil on any hinges, and washer fluid not even filled up) and a brake fluid change. Since then my brake pedal has much longer travel than the last 5 years. I have been back twice to try to bleed again, but no change.
Occasionally the pedal does firm up, but not for more than a stop or two.
The same problem of excessive travel happens when the car is off, and whatever assist has dissipated. Again occasionally the pedal is firm at the top, but mostly it moves a couple inches before being firm.
I have new pads, discs, and all caliper slider pins are greasy and free moving. The elect parking brake works as usual.

So although the issue seems to have started during a bleed, I dont think is is air in the system.

If someone has the factory procedure for bleeding, I have VCDS and a pressure bleeder. I am willing to try again at home to bleed correctly, but I need the procedure.

After that, has anyone had a master cylinder failure? It is a likely suspect. I just need to get the dealer to agree there is a problem. So far, even if I am with the technician, and I am demonstrating the problem, they just took the car for a drive and said the brakes are working.. sigh.

Why not assume the simple answer of air in the brake line? I think you should get a brake fluid flush done again after you tell them about your problems, or go somewhere else for the work.

Last edited:
Hi,
My 2017 eGolf hsa 80,000 km on it, and I have owned it from new.
Recently I did go into the dealer, i have reset the maint a few times, I figured with my extended warranty, I should give them a little work.
They sorta did the recommended work, (not a drop of oil on any hinges, and washer fluid not even filled up) and a brake fluid change. Since then my brake pedal has much longer travel than the last 5 years. I have been back twice to try to bleed again, but no change.
Occasionally the pedal does firm up, but not for more than a stop or two.
The same problem of excessive travel happens when the car is off, and whatever assist has dissipated. Again occasionally the pedal is firm at the top, but mostly it moves a couple inches before being firm.
I have new pads, discs, and all caliper slider pins are greasy and free moving. The elect parking brake works as usual.

So although the issue seems to have started during a bleed, I dont think is is air in the system.

If someone has the factory procedure for bleeding, I have VCDS and a pressure bleeder. I am willing to try again at home to bleed correctly, but I need the procedure.

After that, has anyone had a master cylinder failure? It is a likely suspect. I just need to get the dealer to agree there is a problem. So far, even if I am with the technician, and I am demonstrating the problem, they just took the car for a drive and said the brakes are working.. sigh.
The dealer did replace the master cylinder on my 2019 e-Golf SE with AEB when it only had a few miles on it under warranty. They did this because the AEB was giving multiple false alarms. It never applied the brakes, but the visual and audio alarms would go off whenever a guard rail was nearby.
You could report them to BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) if you live in the US.

Back