Buy 2017 e-Golf now or buy it after 2018 model comes out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2017 Comforline came with L3-50KW fast DC charger as standard, 8" screen.
This is real car , mine 2017.
2018 will be the same, except leatherette is standard ( but you pay for it ).

2019 not sure, but may be no change , at least until today info. from VW.

Tech package came with 9.25 screen and :
• Discover Pro:
• 9.2" touchscreen infotainment system with proximity
sensor, CD/DVD player, satellite navigation and
2 SD card slots
• Customizable home screen
• Gesture control
• Improved visual clarity (1280 x 640 px resolution,
155 dpi)
• “Range 360” 2D map view (dynamic one- and two-way
range estimate)
• Solid-state hard drive (SSD)
• Voice enhancer (automatic driver voice amplification for
rear passengers via speakers)
• Volkswagen Media Control (tablet and smartphone
integration via Wi-Fi)
• Wi-Fi hotspot (rolling internal-only WLAN; pairability to
mobile phone hotspots)
Replaces traditional volume and menu knobs
• Interior ambient lighting including footwell lighting,
blue illumination for front door décor
• Park Distance Control (PDC)
• Stainless steel door sill plates, blue illumination
DAP add
• Adaptive Cruise Control
• Blind Spot Detection with Rear Traffic Alert
• Front Assist – Autonomous Emergency Braking with
Pedestrian Monitoring‡
• Lane Assist
• Light Assist (automatic high-beam control)
• Park Assist
• Volkswagen Digital Cockpit (instrument cluster)

Thanks very much for your additional information. I'm wondering if you're located in the US or not because when I log onto VW's website (here in Massachusetts) the only package I can add to the 2017 SEL premium is the Driver's Assistance Package which (I think) appears to have an 8" screen. There is no Tech Package, and I'm still unclear about the current size of the screen on a US 2017 e-Golf with DAP.

MickM said:
Thanks very much for your additional information. I'm wondering if you're located in the US or not because when I log onto VW's website (here in Massachusetts) the only package I can add to the 2017 SEL premium is the Driver's Assistance Package which (I think) appears to have an 8" screen. There is no Tech Package, and I'm still unclear about the current size of the screen on a US 2017 e-Golf with DAP.

DAP is the "Tech" package in the USA. LCD dash, biggest infotainment center screen package. USA and Canada have different names /marketing for build packages.

MickM said:
There is no Tech Package, and I'm still unclear about the current size of the screen on a US 2017 e-Golf with DAP.

The 2017 US SEL with DAP has an 8" screen. (I just went out and measured mine to be sure.) It has the proximity sensor, but no gesture control. It has physical knobs on the left and right side, with "hard" buttons on the left and right side. This is different than the larger screen with no knobs and "hard" buttons only on the left I've seen for other markets, including Canada.

The "hard" buttons under the same glass surface as the display are a shame. Either go all screen, or have quality physical buttons. With a glass touch screen, you trade off good tactile locating and feedback for flexibility of function. With a physical button, you trade off flexibility of function for good tactile locating and feedback.

VW has chosen both compromises. The only redeeming value is the physical knobs, but if they were both on the driver side, it would allow for a larger screen and more convenient access.

As near as I can tell, having had the car for a month and a half, the 2017 US SEL+DAP does not have these:

• Customizable home screen
• Gesture control
• “Range 360” 2D map view (dynamic one- and two-way
range estimate)
• Voice enhancer (automatic driver voice amplification for
rear passengers via speakers)
• Volkswagen Media Control (tablet and smartphone
integration via Wi-Fi)
• Wi-Fi hotspot (rolling internal-only WLAN; pairability to
mobile phone hotspots)

The new 2018's will have the 9.25" screen i.e. something currently unavailable in the US.
(I'm assuming here you measured the diagonal of the screen and not the width).
I also presume the bigger screen would mean adjusting the radio volume via the screen instead of a knob. Not sure I like that...

Hopefully the missing features you cited will be available on the 2018's when they're released. I know for a fact that the 2018 e-Golf I have my deposit on is on the docks in Davisville, RI (and has been since January). I'm literally counting down the days. All month long I've been tracking the total number of new e-Golfs in the country (according to cars.com) waiting for the inventory to drop to near zero as an indicator for the new model release date. Sales figures for e-Golfs are kind of in the toilet...

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=56107&mkId=20089&page=1&perPage=20&rd=99999&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&showMore=true&sort=price-highest&stkTypId=28880&zc=

3/01 270
3/03 258
3/06 252
3/07 255
3/10 261
3/12 257
3/13 256
3/15 251
3/17 248
3/18 240
3/19 228
3/20 223
3/21 223
3/22 221
3/23 212
3/24 213

MickM said:
The new 2018's will have the 9.25" screen i.e. something currently unavailable in the US.
(I'm assuming here you measured the diagonal of the screen and not the width)

Yes, 8" diagonal measurement.

MickM said:
(I'm assuming here you measured the diagonal of the screen and not the width).
I also presume the bigger screen would mean adjusting the radio volume via the screen instead of a knob. Not sure I like that...

Hopefully the missing features you cited will be available on the 2018's when they're released. I know for a fact that the 2018 e-Golf I have my deposit on is on the docks in Davisville, RI (and has been since January). I'm literally counting down the days. All month long I've been tracking the total number of new e-Golfs in the country (according to cars.com) waiting for the inventory to drop to near zero as an indicator for the new model release date. Sales figures for e-Golfs are kind of in the toilet...

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=56107&mkId=20089&page=1&perPage=20&rd=99999&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&showMore=true&sort=price-highest&stkTypId=28880&zc=

3/01 270
3/03 258
3/06 252
3/07 255
3/10 261
3/12 257
3/13 256
3/15 251
3/17 248
3/18 240
3/19 228
3/20 223
3/21 223
3/22 221
3/23 212
3/24 213

History is repeating itself. VW is holding the next model year cars that are already in-country at the port while they wait for the prior model year inventory to be sold. For the 2016->2017 USA model year change, there seemed to be a bunch of 2016's still left at the port as well after the first reports of 2017's at the port came in.

Sunnyvale VW, allegedly the #1 e-Golf dealer in the country, has 27 e-Golf cars on hand. 22 of them are either Pure White or Deep Black Pearl. Only a couple of each are White Silver or Indium Gray. Another indication that inventory is getting thin is that they have 18 SEL and 9 SE. The ratio is usually opposite.

The poor sales of the e-Golf seem to prove that range anxiety is a major factor when selling electric cars. Longer-range cars like the Bolt are doing much better.

However, the average miles driven per person per day in America - 30 (Source: AAA).

That or Chevy is just marketing the Bolt much better than VW is the e-Golf.

MLS said:
The poor sales of the e-Golf seem to prove that range anxiety is a major factor when selling electric cars. Longer-range cars like the Bolt are doing much better.

However, the average miles driven per person per day in America - 30 (Source: AAA).

It's mostly buyer's psychology. Why should you commit to a 125 mile car when you can afford a 200 mile car? In fact, the 84 mile original e-Golf works well for many families as one car in a two-car household. Once you get a 200 mile car with fast charge capability and decent fast charge infrastructure, you no longer need an ICE car in the household. So far, VW does not have a viable solution for that.

miimura said:
It's mostly buyer's psychology. Why should you commit to a 125 mile car when you can afford a 200 mile car? In fact, the 84 mile original e-Golf works well for many families as one car in a two-car household. Once you get a 200 mile car with fast charge capability and decent fast charge infrastructure, you no longer need an ICE car in the household. So far, VW does not have a viable solution for that.

Sounds about right. I have the 85-mile 2016 e-Golf SE with the meager 3.6 kW charger. I realized in the decade before that - I almost never took a trip that would cause that range to be a problem. In the 2+ years I've had the car, I haven't needed more range yet. That being said, I'm considering moving a bit out of the city and want to get a 2nd car. I really like an EV, so I will probably buy a Bolt as my 2nd car. Considering that I typically get over 100 mi of range from the 85-mile e-Golf, the Bolt will certainly be good for 250+ with the way I drive.

miimura said:
History is repeating itself. VW is holding the next model year cars that are already in-country at the port while they wait for the prior model year inventory to be sold. For the 2016->2017 USA model year change, there seemed to be a bunch of 2016's still left at the port as well after the first reports of 2017's at the port came in.

Sunnyvale VW, allegedly the #1 e-Golf dealer in the country, has 27 e-Golf cars on hand. 22 of them are either Pure White or Deep Black Pearl. Only a couple of each are White Silver or Indium Gray. Another indication that inventory is getting thin is that they have 18 SEL and 9 SE. The ratio is usually opposite.
Yesterday, I was at one of local dealerships in Orange County speaking with GM about e-Golf '17 inventory. He said that he recently attended the VW dealership conference and he was informed by VW USA that there will likely be no more additional '17s sent to SoCal dealerships. In other words, what you see is what's for sale. By the way, this dealership has no new e-Golfs.

I didn't ask him about inter-dealership trades or if there is '17 inventory at the ports waiting to be released to local dealers. Also, he believes that the delivery of the '18 will be delayed until 4th quarter.

Seems like smoke and mirrors.

NurStrom said:
miimura said:

Yesterday, I was at one of local dealerships in Orange County speaking with GM about e-Golf '17 inventory. He said that he recently attended the VW dealership conference and he was informed by VW USA that there will likely be no more additional '17s sent to SoCal dealerships. In other words, what you see is what's for sale. By the way, this dealership has no new e-Golfs.

I didn't ask him about inter-dealership trades or if there is '17 inventory at the ports waiting to be released to local dealers. Also, he believes that the delivery of the '18 will be delayed until 4th quarter.

Seems like smoke and mirrors.
If that dealer didn't have any and was unwilling or unable to order a 2017 for you, then I'm not at all surprised that they would make the 2018 look as bleak as possible to convince you to buy something that they did have available for sale.

miimura said:
If that dealer didn't have any and was unwilling or unable to order a 2017 for you, then I'm not at all surprised that they would make the 2018 look as bleak as possible to convince you to buy something that they did have available for sale.

obfuscate!

MLS said:

A big issue with the eGolf is lack of availability, both from a numbers perspective as well as a dealer perspective. The 2017's were supposed to be available nationwide, but that doesn't appear to have happened.

The Bolt is available nationwide, and especially here in California inventory is plentiful.

To close the loop on that, I ended up buying the 2017 e-Golf SE with DCFC and I believe I got a good deal. Thanks all for your feedback.

There are still plenty of 2017 e-Golfs in the Bay Area and I can definitely refer you to 2 sales persons from 2 different dealerships (maybe a 3rd one even) that would probably give you the same deal, at least I know how far they're willing to go... Right now VW offers 0% APR financing on the e-Golf until April 2, definitely a nice cherry on top.

lkx said:
To close the loop on that, I ended up buying the 2017 e-Golf SE with DCFC and I believe I got a good deal .... Right now VW offers 0% APR financing on the e-Golf until April 2, definitely a nice cherry on top.

Any other back end additions to your purchase that you where perhaps surprised about?

Nope that's what I liked about this dealer, everything was clear and agreed upon from the beginning even before stepping into the dealership and the numbers I got were the numbers we had discussed, nothing on top of it. They just tried to upsell a maintenance package but I didn't take it.

Well, I tried to strike a deal on a 2017 SE + QC last night, to take advantage of the last day of the 0% APR. But despite having several eGolfs in stock, including the one I was thinking of getting with a build date of September 2017, the dealer absolutely would not budge more than about $3k on the price. And the lease deal wasn't any better, it was actually more per month and more out of pocket than my 2015 SEL.

Looks like my car is going to be a keeper, unless things change in the next couple of months.

Took a look this morning and there are only 17 e-Golf listed within 50 miles of northern Los Angeles suburb. Back in Dec I got 5K off before tax & fees. According to TrueCar if you can get 3.7K off that is exceptional. I would think dealers would be wanting to unload these not promoted last year models, but maybe since there are no 2018 avail, these will fetch a higher price?

Also noticed they are still listing zero finance although it was attached with this warning

"New manufacturer rates and incentives are coming soon. Prices shown are based on last month’s rates and are subject to change. Please contact us for details."

It's really odd, I keep hearing that happening in SoCal. In the Bay Area I got $7,700 off MSRP and a few dealerships were ok giving that discount. Unfortunately for those looking to buy now, VW no longer has the 0% APR offer for this month.

Back