CA - plate/sticker delivery time?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zoeb2s said:
WinnVW in Newark expedited my plates for me, got them in 3 days

Applied for the stickers the day I got the plates, took about 3 weeks to get the stickers in after I submitted my paperwork.

of course I have no intention of putting my plates on anytime soon

IMG_8066-XL.jpg

IMG_8073-L.jpg

I've been in CA for a number of years but I still don't understand why this varies so much! Why do some dealers have plates to give, but others have to submit to the DMV and wait?

Also, I'm curious your reasoning for leaving off all the plates? I've always thought that no plates gives the police a reason to pull you over (and at worst find something else, and at best, give a fix-it ticket), versus having plates on. Now having said that, I am really struggling with putting holes into my brand new car to mount a front plate... :)

SfEvR said:
Bought in mid-November, think it took about 4 weeks to get license plates. Put HOV sticker application in right away, it's been about 3 1/2 weeks and still anxiously awaiting my stickers.

HOV stickers ended up coming in Friday, Jan 9. So, it was under 4 weeks to get the HOV stickers after I applied. The holidays may have made mine a little longer than others reported.

svento said:
Zoeb2s said:

Applied for the stickers the day I got the plates, took about 3 weeks to get the stickers in after I submitted my paperwork.

IMG_8066-XL.jpg

IMG_8073-L.jpg

I've been in CA for a number of years but I still don't understand why this varies so much! Why do some dealers have plates to give, but others have to submit to the DMV and wait?

Also, I'm curious your reasoning for leaving off all the plates? I've always thought that no plates gives the police a reason to pull you over (and at worst find something else, and at best, give a fix-it ticket), versus having plates on. Now having said that, I am really struggling with putting holes into my brand new car to mount a front plate... :)

I think it just depends how the dealer submits your paperwork, there is an option for them to expedite it for you, and they did that for me at winnvw

as for no plates, I dont know, I guess I just like to hang on to that new car feeling

on my 2007 X5, I didn't put plates on till 2013, on my 2014 428i that I got almost a year ago I haven't put plates on either, probably won't for the whole 3 year lease period

Zoeb2s said:

IMG_8066-XL.jpg

IMG_8073-L.jpg

Funny, I put all the stickers in the exact same places. Most logical I suppose. I wonder if that's what everyone else did.

BTW, I've heard that if you have no plates on but have stickers, you will get pulled over. The rationale is that if you got the stickers, you already have plates ... which you didn't put on. DMV can't process stickers without plates.

I submitted my application for the HOV stickers on Jan 10, it's been over 4 weeks and am still waiting!! For those of you who already received yours, did the check clear before the stickers arrived? I read in other forums that sometimes the stickers arrive before the check is cashed?

Bought mine on December 10 in Santa Monica. Still no sign of plates. VW claims to have submitted the paper work immediately. Go figure.

Our check was just cashed, took a couple weeks to get plates (we bought Xmas eve) and it's been 4-5weeks since we sent in app for stickers. Hopefully any day now that they've cashed the check. I wonder if showing the cop my bank stmt is adequate, I mean, it's just a formality at this point right... :eek: :D :mrgreen: :lol: :shock:

Just an update for those still waiting: I mailed my application on 1/13, and received stickers on 2/14. (my check cleared in my account on 2/10, for those looking for a little advanced notice of sticker arrival!)

Stickers applied today, I'm excited to see how this changes my commute tomorrow (probably not as much as I'd like, but any little bit helps!)

Just a quick update on the stickers... I finally received them today 2/17. I mailed the application on 1/10, and the check was cashed on 2/12 (so a little over a month). With the long weekend (president's day) they took 5 days to arrive after the check cleared.

I just applied the stickers today. Let's see how they improve my commute... They do look hideous on my shiny black e-golf though... but hey, that's the price to pay for a faster commute!

Our stickers ended up arriving about 4 weeks after we mailed in the application, and according to the paperwork that came with them, they were issued on 2/7, exactly 2 months after we bought the car.

The rounded bumper of the eGolf makes the two side stickers fully visible from the sides and the back, but I also put the small rear sticker on next to the license plate just to avoid potential hassle down the line. The asymmetry kind of bugs me, though.

My dealer thought Stickers had to be ordered by the owner, once the owner had the plates in hand.
Then, new cars transferred from other VW dealers were arriving with Stickers already in the car.

They found out that they could order Stickers even without a buyer for the vehicle.
I got my e-golf with stickers, the DMV paperwork included has the serial number of the Sticker and the VIN of the car on the document.

They didn't even charge me the $8 :cool:

Barry

So, I got my plates today and my registration card. New registration card is a heavy card stock now.. not just some flimsy piece of paper anymore.. but I digress..

So, I am filling out the the carpool sticker registration and going to send it in. My question is about placement.

Seems like everyone is peeling and sticking on the bumper. I am not the bumper sticker type of person. Dont like em. Don't want em. But I do want carpool.

Has anyone used an alternative placement for the stickers? I am thinking of placing them on the rear window and side windows. I don't really want to stick them there, but maybe tape them up on the inside?

Ideas? Thoughts?

The only issue is see is CVC 2505.5 (f)

s4alex,

I think you identified the issue. CVC states exactly where you should place them. I actually think it would look odd if you placed them where you suggested. However, I think the bottom line is that you could potentially get a CHP who is having a bad day...they could pull you over and cite you for driving in an HOV lane without having properly applied stickers. Secondarily, the CHP could also issue you a fix-it ticket to change the location of the stickers...that could be a pain because you'd then have to contact the DMV and have them issue you replacement stickers...something tells me you'd have to jump through hoops to get those new stickers.

Frank3 said:
However, I think the bottom line is that you could potentially get a CHP who is having a bad day...they could pull you over and cite you for driving in an HOV lane without having properly applied stickers.

Or even not having a bad day, but for some reason wants to be strict about it. This Tesla driver got cited for using a carpool-only onramp as a solo occupant because he too didn't want to besmirch his beautiful car with those stickers (skip to 1:36):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J180M6dXcMI

And that's for a car that almost everybody knows only comes as a battery electric vehicle. I wouldn't try it with the eGolf.

The finance manager gave me the HOV stickers with the other paperwork when I leased the car on Saturday.
Stuck them on Sunday.
Drove in the HOV lane Monday.

So, a few posts up I noted that I got my plates..

Well, today, my HOV sticker finally arrived. 4.5 weeks from sending out the plate. 1.5 weeks from the check getting cashed. I am sure it would have been a couple days sooner if there wasn't a holiday in the mix.

I still haven't put the plates on, and I only put 1 sticker on, the lower right side.

Maybe once I get my windows tinted I will do it to give them less reason to pull me over.

Back