Car Insurance Coverage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 241

I haven't checked out insurance for the eGolf yet and was curious if any owners would share their experiences; ran into trouble finding an insurance company to cover 4-wheel electric vehicle or price quote on budget for the eGolf?
I currently use Progressive for my 2001 Golf.

[Edit] I got the insurance through Progressive but I called it in because their website fields didn't specify electric vehicle. I don't think I earned any advantages from having the e-Golf. I am paying more than on my old car.

I can't imagine that there would be a problem adding an e-Golf to your policy. I simply called my Allstate agent and he added the car. No questions, no issues.

Right, same here - no problem at all with insurance. I canceled my old car, and added the e-Golf to our policy with no questions asked.

No problem with USAA, saved $5 per month over BMW 328i taken off the policy. Interestingly, the i3 we now have is the same price as the 328 we sold to get the Golf.

Mine went down slightly when I replaced a 2010 GTI. No issues with the insurer (Mapfre) recognizing the car.

Interesting subject to consider with insurance brought up in another thread, cross posting here as some have glass coverage on their insurance policy.

On the matter of replacing a cracked heated windshield.
svento said:
You bring up a very interesting problem here that I hadn't considered before. Luckily I no longer live in an area that is very prone to windshield cracks, but I do wonder how this changes a routine windshield repair/replacement. I wonder if the insurers have any exclusions in place for coverage of windshields that are more than just glass!

I could not find e-Golf in Geico application webpage, so I could not complete it. Is there anyone who could complete Geico application?

[Update, 4/19/2015] I got the quote via e-mail. Premium is similar to 4yr old mini van, so I guess it is not bad. I did not get "hybrid vehicle" discount. I'm wondering whether electrical vehicle is also eligible for Geico's hybrid vehicle discount. Will update if I figure this out.

Geico policy holder here -- was able to add an e-Golf online myself and it let me select the hybrid discount.

Got Geico for a day as I'm with Metromile (MM) insurance and I bought my eGolf on Saturday when MM were not working (you need to call to add it in). Was able to do all on their website.
Was quoted $118 per month with 50K/100K and $500 deductible.

When I added it to my Metromile insurance it cost same thing as my 2014 Golf I replaced: $31.2 per month plus 4.6c per mile.

Allstate quoted me $162/mo which is almost $30 more than for my 2010 BMW 335! Same level of coverage. Surprised that the e-Golf would be that much to insure. Does anyone know if that's normal for EVs to be more expensive, or can it have to do with the fact that the e-Golf has not yet been subjected to government crash tests?

Are you sure the e-Golf has been subjected to crash tests? I didn't think they could sell it without doing that. Maybe there's a grace period or it sells in low enough numbers that it doesn't need it.

Regardless, my insurance with Commerce / Mapfre went down when I switched from a 2010 Golf GTI to the 2015 e-Golf SEL, so you might want to shop around. I doubt the GTI was any more expensive than a BMW 335i.

I've just removed my 2004 Audi S4 and 2002 Land Rover Freelander from my insurance and added the eGolf.

Mercury insured it with standard comprehensive cover for a little less than $90 per month. I was previously paying $190.

GadgetGav said:
Are you sure the e-Golf has been subjected to crash tests? I didn't think they could sell it without doing that. Maybe there's a grace period or it sells in low enough numbers that it doesn't need it.

While the 2015 4-door Golf got very good ratings from IIHS, they didn't actually test the e-golf. I would assume it would fare about as well as the ICE version so I'm not at all concerned, but it has not yet actually been tested. Based on the responses I've seen elsewhere here, I feel I should shop around some more for a better deal on the insurance.

2015 Golf test from IIHS:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/volkswagen/golf-4-door-hatchback

No crash test results for e-golf:
http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/e-golf/2015/hatchback/st-200498563/safety/

I called Geico to ask about the Hybrid option, and the lady on the phone said that it's specific to vehicles that are electric AND gas. I couldn't find anything online regarding this. But there is a discount with the hybrid option. I'm just worried the insurance gets nulled if there's an accident and i checked "hybrid" when its' not supposed to be. So I'm registered as a normal car until further notice.

shiznango said:
Geico policy holder here -- was able to add an e-Golf online myself and it let me select the hybrid discount.

$649/six months with maxed out liability, $1000 deductible for collision and $250 for comprehensive.

jaq said:
I called Geico to ask about the Hybrid option, and the lady on the phone said that it's specific to vehicles that are electric AND gas. I couldn't find anything online regarding this. But there is a discount with the hybrid option. I'm just worried the insurance gets nulled if there's an accident and i checked "hybrid" when its' not supposed to be. So I'm registered as a normal car until further notice.

shiznango said:

I added my e-Golf to my policy online with Geico and selected the hybrid discount. I called the next business day and made the rep verbally confirm twice that an all electric car was eligible for this discount. She confirmed it and that call was recorded so I'll hold them to their word if any issues are to arise in the future.

Just picked up an eGolf SEL which will eventually replace my 2012 Leaf (still a few months left on the lease). Until that happens, I will have THREE cars simultaneously, the eGolf, the Leaf, and my 2006 Audi A3.

The Leaf and Audi alone were $555 for 6 months. To add the eGolf (but keep overall miles the same) surprisingly added less than $100 for that same 6 month period.

I am using Ameriprise via my Costco membership. Maximum liability coverages, 250 comp/500 collision deductibles on the Leaf and eGolf (comp only on the Audi).

Back