CarPlay, how do updates work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexecar

Hi,

what is the general concept of versioning for CarPlay? Is this part of the VW entertainment system firmware, is this user-upgradable or does this require a trip to the dealer? Or is there another mechanism such as through a connected iPhone? Do new iOS releases bring new CarPlay features?
How can I find out what version of CarPlay/Entertainment system I have?

Thanks,
Alex

alexecar said:
Hi,

what is the general concept of versioning for CarPlay? Is this part of the VW entertainment system firmware, is this user-upgradable or does this require a trip to the dealer? Or is there another mechanism such as through a connected iPhone? Do new iOS releases bring new CarPlay features?
How can I find out what version of CarPlay/Entertainment system I have?

Thanks,
Alex

Based on what I've read, CarPlay is just software on your phone that interfaces with your car's dash screen, sorta like your AppleTV (or DVD player etc.) interacts with your TV.

Updates to CarPlay should be handled with regular iOS updates on your phone.

:)

Thanks for the reply. So if carplay ever comes up with enhancements such as rearrangement of icons, this will be driven by the iphone iOS update?

Regards,
Alex

Yes, I believe so. And I'm with you, why can't I arrange my own icons!?!?

Remember that the system supports not only CarPlay, but Android Auto and MirrorLink too. Unless it can update only the CarPlay subsystem via a push from the phone, the updates must come from the manufacturer, in otherwords VW or the OEM.

Simply changing settings though, that can certainly be done from the phone.

Updates are handled through the mobile unit's OS. Android might be ok with cars all over the place having different user experiences but that's one thing Apple negotiated before deploying CarPlay. It's one of their central marketing points and also one of the primary reasons they moved the car manufacturers to this type of system in the first place.

That said, there aren't really updates to be had separate from the OS, like mrbcc stated. Updates like next year's gesture control won't be available from the OS, the manufacturer, or the stereo OEM. They'll require an entirely new hardware. But the kinds of updates you seem to be thinking of, like map updates for the navigation unit in cars, are being obsoleted by CarPlay and AndroidAuto.

CarPlay got a small update today with iOS 9.3:

- Apple Music members now have access to their For You and New content in CarPlay
- New Nearby screen in Maps to quickly find Gas, Parking, Restaurants, Coffee, and other driving essentials
- Siri speaks more concisely when reading back and composing messages in CarPlay
- Equalized sound levels between different audio sources in CarPlay

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...p-improvements-1970-bug-fix-and-more.1962342/

The last two are much needed fixes

Back