CCS DC fast-charging in an extra-cost option package

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bizzle said:
We are speaking for ourselves...that's the entire point. Obviously his sentence, "everyone will want" read in context is referring to everyone who wants a radio will want that radio to have carplay or android audio. Clearly he's not arguing that people who don't care about a radio would suddenly want a radio in the future to have advanced features.

You argue in these threads that fast charge is a must have feature and some of us are pointing out that Carplay (which is actually a higher priced feature than the DC Fast Charge option is going to cost) is a more frequently used feature for *us*.

If your emphasis is on safety then you might find it interesting that CarPlay is a lot safer for drivers to use than past phone/headunit integration.

As an example, texting is done completely via voice with CarPlay. Incoming texts are read out loud to the driver and the driver can speak to respond and then that response is transcribed back to the phone.

The phone is plugged in via USB, which enables "Hey Siri," voice activation. One can ask for directions, change music, and change output volume all though voice activation. In fact, it renders the steering wheel controls superfluous (for those SE drivers second guessing what you're missing with the steering wheel controls).

Clearly, you are more Apple geek than I am, or I am far more Luddite than you are. I refuse to pay money for Apple product, I feel it's overpriced for what you get. It is a good stock to own though, the profit margin is fat beyond belief.

JoulesThief said:
Huh? Why would everyone want it "then" when we don't want it now?

Nobody wanted an iPad in 2010. Two years later, everyone either had one, or was willing to run over their grandmother to get one.

Just sayin! ;)

johnnylingo said:
JoulesThief said:
Huh? Why would everyone want it "then" when we don't want it now?

Nobody wanted an iPad in 2010. Two years later, everyone either had one, or was willing to run over their grandmother to get one.

Just sayin! ;)

Nope... Nexus 7 pad. Not everyone... Your perception is off, by quite a bit.

Would it be possible to upgrade the 3.6 kw onboard charger to 7.2 kw? I notice the AC charger is right next to the engine. Does swapping out that part simply increase the power of the charger?

dorel21490 said:
Would it be possible to upgrade the 3.6 kw onboard charger to 7.2 kw? I notice the AC charger is right next to the engine. Does swapping out that part simply increase the power of the charger?
Possible? Sure. Practical? Absolutely not. The only way it would be anywhere near practical would be if you got the module from a wrecked SEL. Maybe in a few years when there are more mechanics with experience with these cars there would be someone who would figure out how to do that. You could pull the fast charge inlet and harness from a wreck too so that you could fast charge too. That would also be an effort to get the car configured correctly to do the fast charging after you put all the hardware in place.

I am a VW tech with an SE and I looked into a little bit of the possible upgrade, at least you need a charger and the cable from charger to charging port. Charger is different part number, maybe the same inside with some coding, but the cable is way smaller in diameter. Also when I was under mine I did not see a connection for the dc fast charge at back of battery. So if you upgraded and had no where to plug that in, I imagine that would make the pilot line system mad. I look forward to someone more creative to find a cool way to charge faster.

Imcginnis said:
I am a VW tech with an SE and I looked into a little bit of the possible upgrade, at least you need a charger and the cable from charger to charging port. Charger is different part number, maybe the same inside with some coding, but the cable is way smaller in diameter. Also when I was under mine I did not see a connection for the dc fast charge at back of battery. So if you upgraded and had no where to plug that in, I imagine that would make the pilot line system mad. I look forward to someone more creative to find a cool way to charge faster.
Next time, buy an SE with a 7.2kwh charger on board with the DC fast charger built in. It's best to buy it built from the factory the way you want it. It has been an option on dealership lots since Jan 2016.

Back