Charge station fault when charge is complete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REM

I've noticed that when my e-Golf is charged but still plugged in to my Leviton charge station I get the red fault light. It momentarily turned off and went back to the ready light when I opened the car door, but only for a moment. The car charges fine, but I'm just curious if anyone has an idea as to why it does this. It never happened with my LEAF.

REM said:
I've noticed that when my e-Golf is charged but still plugged in to my Leviton charge station I get the red fault light. It momentarily turned off and went back to the ready light when I opened the car door, but only for a moment. The car charges fine, but I'm just curious if anyone has an idea as to why it does this. It never happened with my LEAF.

Possibly the J1772 parameter for the unlock feature on your 2015 e-golf is causing the problem. Hit your key fob "unlock' button and see if the light on the Leviton EVSE goes out, when you hear the lock at the charge handle unlatch.

The 2015's are the "early adopters" quirky versions, while VW irons the bugs out of the e-Golf in 2016. The flip side of this is this: don't leave your 2015 e-Golf unattended at a public charge station where the electricity is free... someone, sooner or later, will try to yank the charge handle off your car, if you are parked and even if you are still charging, or not charging. They might break something on either your end, or the handles end, if it's locked on and pressing the latch button on the handle won't unlock it, only you being present with the keyfob will unlock it. Don't leave your car! You are at a refueling station, not a parking spot in a parking lot... adjust your expectation and thinking process. Not a parking spot, but a charging station... always remember that.

I found out the hard way yesterday in a shopping mall, where some idiotic woman in a very expensive Mercedes Benz electric hybrid was jacking with my car to pull the charge handle off, and I'd only been at the level 2 charge station 25 minutes, went in to the food court to get lunch, when I asked her what she was doing touching my car, when I wasn't even finished, or close to the 2 hour charging time limit.

As more and more people get PHEV's and BEV's, the etiquette is going down hill, fast, at charging stations. In my observations, in almost a month of ownership... women at shopping centers are the biggest offenders, and Tesla drivers are time hogs at level 2 stations. I'd like to see 1 hour time limits, personally, just enough juice to get you back home, and that's it.

Back