ChargePoint Home is now available to order

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ChargePoint Home EVSE is finally available for purchase now. They are distributing through Amazon.

http://www.chargepoint.com/home/order/

The pricing is what was announced before. It's a bit cheaper than some of the other EVSE configurations out there, but pretty much right in line. They are selling the units separately from the cords, but if you buy a bundle together there is a discount.

Even though I really don't need to charge at home ever, I placed an order for a 32 A outdoor/hardwired version with a 25-foot cable. It is supposed to arrive on Wednesday. Maybe I'll get around to installing it in the next six months. :) I appreciate its good industrial design and that it can track my usage along with the ChargePoint stations we have at my office.

Who else is ordering one of these?

HabemusQuattro said:
The ChargePoint Home EVSE is finally available for purchase now. They are distributing through Amazon.

http://www.chargepoint.com/home/order/

The pricing is what was announced before. It's a bit cheaper than some of the other EVSE configurations out there, but pretty much right in line. They are selling the units separately from the cords, but if you buy a bundle together there is a discount.

Even though I really don't need to charge at home ever, I placed an order for a 32 A outdoor/hardwired version with a 25-foot cable. It is supposed to arrive on Wednesday. Maybe I'll get around to installing it in the next six months. :) I appreciate its good industrial design and that it can track my usage along with the ChargePoint stations we have at my office.

Who else is ordering one of these?

Price is ultimately why I went with the Juicebox. Although the CP Home unit is clearly sharper looking you can have the JB40 with wifi for nearly $200 cheaper then the CP Home.

This next year when we buy a house, I'll probably go with a CP. Largely because of the app quality and appearance of the charging unit.

The unprepossessing JuiceBox is just a non-starter with me, even in a garage. I really need the extra five feet of cable on the ChargePoint as well. However, having a single source of data for both public and home usage is really the killer feature here.

I have a plugin Juice Box Green. It was $599 and comes with a 24ft cable. Its enclosure is indeed non-aesthetic, but sturdy and military-like. I think e-Motorwerks is concerned with getting a good product out there for a good price. Interesting how some people want an attractive charger, but nothing wrong with that. Both are Bay Area companies - ChargePoint in Campbell; EMotorwerks in San Carlos. I've never charged away from home so far.

Where to charge is an interesting point. There's a private high school a block from me with two public charge point slots - free for the first two hours of level 2 charging. They're providing about 80% of my charge and it's been an opportunity to meet other ev drivers from the neighborhood.

I actually really enjoy the social aspect which we'll lose when we install a home level 2.

normf3 said:
I have a plugin Juice Box Green. It was $599 and comes with a 24ft cable. Its enclosure is indeed non-aesthetic, but sturdy and military-like. I think e-Motorwerks is concerned with getting a good product out there for a good price. Interesting how some people want an attractive charger, but nothing wrong with that. Both are Bay Area companies - ChargePoint in Campbell; EMotorwerks in San Carlos. I've never charged away from home so far.

If I was putting the unit inside my garage I would have leaned more towards aesthetics but on the outside that pretty CP Home unit just doesn't look like it'll hold up in the elements as well as the plain-jane metal box. Plus, I still think $200 is too much to pay just for looks. From what I can tell the JB app has all of the same functionality as the CPHome's: http://emotorwerks.com/newsitetest/emotorwerks/index.php/app

I'm having a really hard time deciding between the 2

ChargePoint better apps
JuiceBox, cheaper

I don't really care how it looks, but I want it to be reliable and I want to be able to monitor the data, and set charge times.

Anyone got any pointers one way or the other?

Does the JuiceBox have any lighting in the form of LED's to display what it is, or isn't doing, or what mode it is in? I am kind of looking at the Siemens Generation 2 indoor version, for $444 ordered and shipped to your house from Home Depot. It has timer delay feature too, not that you need it if VW ever gets their act together with the programming of the Body Control Module, so that it can be set up, in dash in the infotainment center under the CAR button, just add a few pages in there, and call it good.

Maybe ask some early adopter e-golfer GURU's around here for some input.

I wonder if VW of America even reads this board, or do they even care, they sell so few e-Golfs annually. The noisy, obnoxious squeaky wheel gets the grease, usually, so we need a lot of squeaky wheels.

Back