Could e-Golf have version w/aluminum frame & carbon body?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cove3

The Golf common platform for gas, diesel, electric and fuel cells should provide huge and proprietary economics for the e-Golf, which can leverage off the volumes for the Golf gas version

However, the one thing I really like about the BMW i3 is its 2634 lb unladen weight achieved with an aluminum frame and carbon body. Although the e-Golf somehow comes close at 3090 lbs (I don't know how given all steel construction, a bigger battery, 4 full doors,and 11" more inches ), and weight is the major factor in bev range and mpg

Keeping the exact same design to minimize development costs, would it be economically feasible to tool the e-golf for a version in aluminum/carbon? Saving 500+ lbs with the same battery should give a range well over 110-130 miles. I'd gladly pay an extra 10K for the state of the art, and VW does have experience and an investment in carbon technology. VW could call it ac-Golf

Ron

Hi Ron,

It seems unlikely, but it would be possible.

The reason I don't think Volkswagen will do that is because they need to get an electric vehicle to market now as they are already behind some of the other manufacturers.

Also, as you mentioned, for some reason the e-Golf is only 400ish pounds more than the carbon fiber i3... so the payoff isn't as great as if it was a 4000 pound car. I wonder if this generation of Golf is already using aluminum for some/most of the body panels or?

The only thing I've seen is their use of high strength steel which saved them 220 lbs. They seem to be moving away from aluminum. If they were using any carbon, I would think they would highlight it in their features section.

I'm anxious to drive it when it comes out as it's coming down to it or the i3\

Ron

Back